Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times

Advertisements

Today was windier than I expected. Quite chilly too. Current temperature is 30 F, but the wind chill is around 20 F. Tomorrow's forecasted high is around 40 F, but next week is expected to be in the 60s. Should be interesting to see what this spring dishes out for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:09 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
March 1945 was the warmest March on record in much of the US. Fascinating read from the Detroit NWS:

Mild March of 1945

Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
We have to be the unluckiest place in England in terms of sunshine this month!!

Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Why would anybody complain? Because people might have their own preferences buddy and dislike cloudy, rainy, foggy, drizzly days for weeks and weeks. (38 sunshine hours in Feb 2012 for HK!)

Hong Kong won't get really sunnier before July although it will definitely get warmer. But the sunshine % is going to stay low for at least a few months now...then stay above 50% after July.

As for Hong Kong being laid back, relaxing and having a good air quality, either you have never set foot in this city or you are being very sarcastic because it's the exact opposite...
That is okay/fine if that is your weather preferences since different people have different weather preferences.

However, you don’t ever get bored of sunny warm/hot weather for at least 3 months and at least sometimes?

For June to September, I actually have similar weather preferences as you with enjoying sunny warm/hot weather. (80s/90s for highs and 60s/70s for lows).

However, for the rest of the year I prefer very different weather such as cooler temperatures, much more clouds, more rain, etc.

So what Hong Kong has for Late Winter/Early Spring (many cloudy/rainy/drizzly/foggy days in a row) is something I enjoy for that time of the year.

I know plenty of things about Hong Kong. This city has plenty of tropical/subtropical beaches and islands in the area, so I assumed this made it more laid back in some ways etc. And I was not necessarily saying it is very laid back, I was just saying the recent weather might be making it more laid back.

I also was not saying Hong Kong’s air quality is good year round. I just don’t think the air quality is always so bad. Air quality seems to vary a lot there between decently good air quality and bad air quality days which is true for plenty of big cities. Plus, Hong Kong has one of the highest life expectancy and well being rates in the world, so the air quality can’t be that bad.

Hong Kong is one of those great places in the world where it is easy to overcome less than ideal weather.

Last edited by ; 03-10-2012 at 02:33 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

Hong Kong is one of those great places in the world where it is easy to overcome less than ideal weather.
Completely agree.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 AM

Well it's turned out sunny here after all.

I know I've been moaning a lot but we've done well in terms of sunshine so far this month - only 2 sunless days, 4 days with more then 7 hours of sun and 2 days with 9 hours or more - totaling 39.4 hours. If this keeps up we'll be well above average I'd have thought.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:36 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
These temperature fluctuations are just insane.
What temperature fluctuations? All I see where you are is heat, heat, and more heat. This stereotype of "up and down" weather really annoys me, as if it constitutes such a great fluctuation to go from warmth to more warmth and then back to just warmth. Now if one had what Coloradans sometimes have (60F warmth and then snow), or what I believe the Mid Atlantic had in March 2009 (snow and very cold temps then very warm temps), then that would be what I'd call "up and down" weather.

I also like Stumbler's post. That picture is a reflection of my own views on what people call Spring, which is usually the too-hot, too-humid, too-sunny, too-early version that comes in March with Summer right on its heels, instead of the cooler, cloudier, in my view "proper" spring that comes later in the year sometime in May (not that that has much relation to snowmen). Spring is second only to Winter when it comes to my favorite seasons, but only as long as it stays in its place. A typical American Spring is reviled by me almost as much as a Summer.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
What temperature fluctuations? All I see where you are is heat, heat, and more heat. This stereotype of "up and down" weather really annoys me, as if it constitutes such a great fluctuation to go from warmth to more warmth and then back to just warmth. Now if one had what Coloradans sometimes have (60F warmth and then snow), or what I believe the Mid Atlantic had in March 2009 (snow and very cold temps then very warm temps), then that would be what I'd call "up and down" weather.
No, this is one of the most up and down weeks I can remember.

First week of March: Snow on the ground and highs barely above freezing. NYC had no snow, but it was relatively cold week, except one day that reached the mid 50s! So far we're averaging much colder than March 2010, but that could change, but the first week will drag it down, more so than the few cold snaps in 2010.
Tuesday morning: 10°F
Thursday afternoon: 68°F
Friday evening: back to near freezing; snow flurries
Right now: about freezing, but sunday will have highs in the upper 50s

Quote:
I also like Stumbler's post. That picture is a reflection of my own views on what people call Spring, which is usually the too-hot, too-humid, too-sunny, too-early version that comes in March with Summer right on its heels, instead of the cooler, cloudier, in my view "proper" spring that comes later in the year sometime in May (not that that has much relation to snowmen). Spring is second only to Winter when it comes to my favorite seasons, but only as long as it stays in its place. A typical American Spring is reviled by me almost as much as a Summer.
Your description makes little sense, it sounds like you live in a very different climate than me. Even so, cooler and cloudier in May than March? While random hot are possible, humidity is impossible until early May here.

And "real spring" takes forever to arrive, anyway. If by your definition, "real winter" is a dormant period in vegetation, "real spring" should be when it's not hot (or close to the warmest temps of the year if your climate is mild) but mild enough for vegetation to grow or start growing. Instead we have an extended period that's neither here nor there; with mild ish days but frequent cold nights preventing much of anything growing till at least early April. It's a frustrating season that feels neither here nor there.

The next week is forecast to have highs around 60°F, and even better lows above freezing. Hopefully the grass will turn lush and green instead the parched brown look we have everywhere.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Well it's turned out sunny here after all.

I know I've been moaning a lot but we've done well in terms of sunshine so far this month - only 2 sunless days, 4 days with more then 7 hours of sun and 2 days with 9 hours or more - totaling 39.4 hours. If this keeps up we'll be well above average I'd have thought.
Just did the calculations, we're averaging 4.3 hours of sun a day and if this keeps up we'll have 133 hours of sun for the entire month, average for this area is between 95 and 105 hours

Old 03-10-2012, 07:30 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
I'm averaging 3.8 hours a day, given that the last two days have been generally quite cloudy. One problem here is that because the town is situated in a bowl, we get about 2-3 hours less sun in this time of year due to the hills, not cloud. If it wasn't for the hills we'd have 1300-1400hrs a year like Manchester rather than the lower 1200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather