Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate shold win?
Singapore 22 23.40%
San Diego 72 76.60%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times

Advertisements

The answer is easy, Singapore is at the Equator so it is a steam bath, San Diego on the other hand has perpetual spring, one of the best climates on the Planet...no comparison possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Another predictable, one sided poll.
Yes, Kaul is fond of pitting a very hot climate up against a much cooler (but still comfortable) one in an effort to 'prove' that a majority of people have a preference for cooler conditions.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post

For me, it makes it easier to get out of bed, which is a plus.
My troubling with hot nights is falling asleep not the morning. Also, usually by morning it's cooled down so the heat isn't noticeable. One common nuisance I have during hotter periods of the summer is finding it too hot to sleep at night and then too cold in the morning (since it was so hot I slept with no covers and had the fan blasting on me). Often it would be wake up briefly in the middle of the night and put a sheet on or turn down the fan.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Yes, Kaul is fond of pitting a very hot climate up against a much cooler (but still comfortable) one in an effort to 'prove' that a majority of people have a preference for cooler conditions.
Well it'd be no fun comparing Singapore to Kuala Lumpur would it? I actually think the comparison is fair, two climates that are warm year round, but one is very wet while the other one is semi-arid. One is very sunny and the other is 'very' cloudy. One has very low humidity and the other one has very high humidity. And really, it does prove most people at least prefer warm weather as opposed to hot weather..

Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Yes, Kaul is fond of pitting a very hot climate up against a much cooler (but still comfortable) one in an effort to 'prove' that a
majority of people have a preference for cooler conditions.
let's pit san diego against san francisco then

Old 03-06-2012, 02:23 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
I'd reluctantly choose San Diego over Singapore, but both are VERY boring and lack the variety of weather the Northeast and Mid Atlantic have which I like a lot.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
let's pit san diego against san francisco then
I'm pretty sure SD will beat SF.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
If the A/C isn't turned on, I definitely feel a dampness in the house during the summer. It's bad enough here with just moderate humidity. Couldn't imagine living in a place with Singapore's humidity without A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think I may have to go with San Diego here. I'm a heat lover but I hate when it's hot and cloudy, it feels like being in an old sweaty sock, I imagine Singapore having a lot of days like this. I love Singapore's temperatures but it's entirely too monotonous for me.

As for San Diego, 75 F doesn't feel warm at all in the summertime to me, that'd be a low temperature here, I'd have to live a little inland where it gets hotter. But the sunshine and atmosphere makes it the winner over Singapore for me, I would love to live in San Diego.
In NYC? While there are a handful of 75 F and even 80 F lows during the summer, the average is more upper 60s to around 70 F.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think I may have to go with San Diego here. I'm a heat lover but I hate when it's hot and cloudy, it feels like being in an old sweaty sock, I imagine Singapore having a lot of days like this. I love Singapore's temperatures but it's entirely too monotonous for me.

As for San Diego, 75 F doesn't feel warm at all in the summertime to me, that'd be a low temperature here, I'd have to live a little inland where it gets hotter. But the sunshine and atmosphere makes it the winner over Singapore for me, I would love to live in San Diego.
From what others have said on the forum who have lived in/visited Singapore, it seems that in Singapore it's very rare to have either a completely overcast day or a completely sunny day with a clear blue sky.. it seems to be an alternating mix of sun and cloud day throughout the day most days with some parts of the day having more cloud than sun and vice versa.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:51 PM

174 posts, read 470,614 times
I've lived in Singapore, and it gets little to no variability in terms of climate. San Diego on the other hand is more variable. Singapore also doesn't get as much sunshine as I would like in the year. Neither is as cold as I would like in winter (nor is San Diego as hot as I'd like in summer), but I'd give the slim edge to San Diego here, because of the higher variance in climate throughout the seasons and year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather