Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Hartford, CT 38 73.08%
Singapore 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You gave Copenhagen a D-
Copenhagen is right on the line for D-/F and really the best grade for it is "E" but I don't think it was an option if I recall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,587,584 times
Voted for Singapore last time, definitely favour Hartford in this contest.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Uh, no contest.
lol, that's what I thought when I saw the title.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:51 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Hartford looks decent to me, just a bit too warm during summer. Singapore, on the other hand, looks like a climate hell that someone tailored specifically to irritate me.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I can't say as I put too much thought into grading them, but comparing them side by side now, though they are roughly similar climates Hartford's summers seem slightly hotter (and maybe more humid?) and I'd guess Hartford would have wilder temperature swings in winter, bigger diurnal ranges (neither of which are preferable to me) plus more rain days overall. 1810 hours and 2586 hours of sun both seem a lot to me so that wouldn't be a factor.
I was puzzled why you were taking the much cloudier climate when both were similar. From my perspective, since Hartford is about the same as where I live but with slightly warmer nights, Hartford's sunshine seems normal and decent and Nalchik looks awful. I live in places with cold climate and maybe 300-400 hours less; it's miserably dreary at times, but one gets used to it.

But seriously, you might want more sunshine than you're used to in a place that has cold winters. I also think Hartford's sunshine totals might be overestimated by 100-200 hours. The lack of precipitation in the cold season means the weather might be duller and no interesting snowfalls, but maybe easier day to day. Looking at summer weather averages for the last few years in Nalchik, it's variable enough that it would hard to tell which one was hotter and more humid, but the winter would feel noticeably longer.

I'd give Hartford a C+; same as I'd give where I live now; decent climate but winters are too long

Nalchik is a C; maybe even C-; the clouds pull the rating down as well as the dryness of the cool season.

Singapor is a C maybe a C+; I like getting hot weather, but the hot and humid combination every month is too much.

I'm choosing Hartford here since there are many more mild months and there's some variety, even if there's a bit much of a type I don't care for much, at least it's what I'm used to (Singapore averages is something I get only a few days a year).

Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Singapore. I don't like the thought of having to live through a winter even colder than Buxton with the typical running nose frozen hands and feet, stinging cold feeling, ice, etc...

Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
It sounds like people are picking on Singapore here...lol

I haven't lived in a place with cold winters, but I can't really say, but I would be drained by Singapore's unrelenting heat and humidity.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Hartford is too warm for me, but it pales in comparison to Singapore's sheer horror. There is no comparison. Naturally I voted for Hartford.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I was puzzled why you were taking the much cloudier climate when both were similar. From my perspective, since Hartford is about the same as where I live but with slightly warmer nights, Hartford's sunshine seems normal and decent and Nalchik looks awful. I live in places with cold climate and maybe 300-400 hours less; it's miserably dreary at times, but one gets used to it.

But seriously, you might want more sunshine than you're used to in a place that has cold winters. I also think Hartford's sunshine totals might be overestimated by 100-200 hours. The lack of precipitation in the cold season means the weather might be duller and no interesting snowfalls, but maybe easier day to day. Looking at summer weather averages for the last few years in Nalchik, it's variable enough that it would hard to tell which one was hotter and more humid, but the winter would feel noticeably longer.
Yes, but from my perspective the 1510 hours of sunshine we had here last year was a lot compared to what I've seen most years in the places I've lived, so there's no way I'd consider Nalchik dull. The most sun Hampstead has ever had was only 1828 hours (way back in the 1950s) and probably the only year I've seen more than their 1810 was the year I spent four months in Italy. Comparing the Nalchik figures with ours for the coldest months of the year (Hampstead first):

October: 106 - 153
November: 68 - 93
December: 48 - 63
January: 46 - 69
February: 75 - 71 (what happens there?)
March: 105 - 117

Plus their sun will be eight degrees higher in the sky on any given day and stronger than ours, so more UV exposure than the difference in numbers suggest. Hartford just looks ridiculously sunny in winter compared to anything I've experienced, even at 200 hours less than what Wiki says - in sun terms Nalchik looks like an optimum version of our normal whereas Hartford has so much sun I probably wouldn't appreciate the first sunny days of spring as much. And Singapore seems that alien to me it may as well be on another planet

Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
lol, that's what I thought when I saw the title.
Me too. A- climate vs F+ climate.
Hartford is bordering optimal, though I could do with duller winters.
Singapore would be nice for a few days, or weeks if I'm in the mood but not more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather