Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:32 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times

Advertisements

Would any of you actually live in most of the places that you guys bring up? I've seen a lot of topics the past year about places where there's a low chance any of us would actually live there for various reasons not due to climate. I guess this question mostly goes to everyone except Americans and Australians. Me, personally, I'd like a climate in northeast Brazil, but I wouldn't actually ever live there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
There are many places with my close to my ideal climate that I'd live if I ever had the chance. In my case, it's more to do with finances and immigration restrictions more than anything else as to why I don't leave Canada. Some of the places I'd move in a heartbeat if I had the chance include:
Singapore
Hawaii
Southern Florida
Queensland, Australia
Northern Territory, Australia
Northern part of Western Australia
Costa Rica
Many Caribbean islands such as Puerto Rico, Barbados, Bahamas, Aruba etc.

Of course there are many hot places I'd never move for a variety of reasons and they include:
Most of Africa
India
China
Middle East
Mexico

Old 03-10-2012, 03:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
@deneb78

Haven't you lived in China?

Old 03-10-2012, 03:24 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
Spent 6 months in Singapore, loved every day of it, and I'm planning to immigrate there when I have the chance, which, if everything goes well, should be in less than 5 years.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
@deneb78

Haven't you lived in China?
Yes I did for a year a number of years ago and while I really enjoyed the climate there, the quality of life there was appalling for a variety of reasons IMO. I still have a few friends there that I could visit but I would never ever move back there no matter what.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:50 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes I did for a year a number of years ago and while I really enjoyed the climate there, the quality of life there was appalling for a variety of reasons IMO. I still have a few friends there that I could visit but I would never ever move back there no matter what.
What did you dislike so strongly there? Although that's off-topic...

Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
What did you dislike so strongly there? Although that's off-topic...
-severe pollution on many days to the point that a "clear" day, the sky was hazy and you could look directly at the sun.
-couldn't trust anyone, people were always trying to take advantage and scam/con you. It seemed few people had morals there.
-simple things like paying bills were a bureaucratic nightmare
-poor hygiene, many people spitting and going to the washroom in public shamelessly
-poor work environment. I worked as a teacher and if the boss called, I'd have to stop what I was doing and go into work even if there were no students to teach
-extreme censorship. A few times I had books like lonely planet confiscated even. I always felt watched.

These were my main complaints.. enough that I wouldn't go back there for any climate...

Old 03-10-2012, 04:09 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Of the rate the climates I put up, quite a few I would love to live in. Some of them, no way!

When you factor out the climate, and look at the other aspects, like the quality of life/ economy.

Of those I would live in one of the Australian cities I put up.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:41 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Coastal Jamaica is hard to beat,
but their bad economy and politics keep me from planning to live there.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Coastal Jamaica is hard to beat,
but their bad economy and politics keep me from planning to live there.
Not to mention it being one of the most dangerous countries in the world: List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have the same reservation with South Africa. In my view there are very few (if any) countries that can beat South Africa for climate, but it's just too dangerous for me to consider moving there.

Other than that, my main problem seems to be that my favourite climates are in very remote places like Easter Island and Pitcairn Islands or housing / cost of living is too expensive like Hawaii and Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather