Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:35 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,447,925 times

Advertisements

These two places in the UK both score B's from me, due to high frequency of snowfall and cold winter temperatures, and sufficient rainfall, bordering too much with the former.

Leadhills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Braemar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only downside to these places, relative to other parts of the UK, is lack of summer warmth and overall variety, including thunderstorms.

In general most UK places score C's from me due to lack of reliable snowfall and winter cold, and lack of thunderstorms. Summers temperatures York southwards are okay, away from high ground, between 1986 and 2003, Leeds city centre had an average maximum temperature of 21.2C in the warmest month, which is okay to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:39 PM

690 posts, read 1,196,581 times
Nowhere in the UK would i give an "A" rating. The least bad climate is probably that of the Lower Severn Valley/ Vale of Evesham. Its as mild during the summer half of the year as the London area, but is generally the least windy due to hills and mountains affording some shelter.

Malvern, Worcestershire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,873,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Nowhere in NZ rates higher than a C+ in my view.
I have friends who retired to the South Island, sounds like all sorts of climate is available with in short distances. I suppose a lot has to do with the island nature and the surrounded by water influence. Of coarse elevations help too. They ski all the time, not far from their home village which is kinda in the center of things, I think its Waga ? I have heard the south western slopes down to the sea are the best place. Cool because of latitude, yet warm rainforest down to the beach. You may correct me, i am sure. I never made the trip to your wonderful paradise, but Know a lot of friends who have. One guy from the states moved there predominately full time ?, I helped transport a container with all their wares.That was 15 years ago, never heard from them again.....

Old 03-15-2012, 03:23 PM

Default Utopia

While we are at it, I have been told such a place exists. Its an island of technology created by fusing 2 topo maps together to form a Utopia. The Japanese artist Satomi Matoba created this Utopia digitally. While all in a minds eye, bringing together several places to form one island sounds very interesting. The problem surfaces quickly as so on these threads, when almost everyone has displayed different places they might call Paradise. Her idea is not new, it dates back to Thomas More's 1516 essay, which became one of the first maps as we know them to be, only this one was made of wood, and, yes it was called Utopia.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:22 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,825,412 times
WA: Eucla (Esperance comes so close but it degrades to B+ because of high humidity)

SA: Port Lincoln

NSW: The places closest to an A in this state are Sydney Metro, Picton, Bega, Cooma. They seem just 'about right'.

QLD: Too hot - No places reach the higher end of C grade here.

NT: As above

TAS: Besides the dry inland plains which at least merit a C, most of the state is just way too cool and oceanic.

VIC: The south is too unstable, the north is too hot in the summer and cool in the winter. Hamilton seems the most tolerant though, at B-.

Last edited by Ethereal; 01-27-2014 at 02:31 AM..

Old 01-27-2014, 03:16 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,155,036 times
Non-exhaustive list...
US: ME and NH away from the coast, VT, northeastern NY, most of MN, the Front Range of CO (i.e. Denver), Prescott and Flagstaff, AZ, and parts of interior, south central, and SE AK (apart from "snowed-in" winters such as 2011/12). That would include Fairbanks, Anchorage (low end; A-), and Juneau which has sufficient, but usually not exorbitant, snow to compensate for the borderline cold. Some mountainous regions, e.g. western MD but not 3,000 m+ CO or Bodie, CA, for example (due to constant risk of summer frost), in the CONUS, as well, but too many to list. You get the idea.

China: parts of southern Sichuan (i.e. Xichang), northern and western Yunnan (Kunming, Lijiang, Shangri-La etc.), Tibet AR (Shigatse or warmer, which in general is <=3,100 m), northern Xinjiang (i.e. Tian Shan on north). Also a corridor from Chengdu, Sichuan to Hanzhong, Shaanxi; despite the high lows for the elevation, the extremes of heat are moderated there. A sweet climate despite the VERY low sunshine, for which the seasonal variation and generous rainfall makes up for. I earlier rated the Dw climates farther east as "A's" but I suppose I was being too generous; a large swath of it is generally not reliable precipitation-wise.

Although it has no connections to me, I agree Canada is to be envied. In fact, a large swath of land from Thunder Bay, ON on to the north and west, including much of the Prairie and the capitals of YT, NWT, AB, SK, and MB, all receive A's, even if A-'s.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 AM

The more temperate areas in Ca. are more appealing by far. Consider Vancouver which has been voted the best large city to live in , in the world !.......however , I do recall complaining about how hot it was at night in mid summer , mostly due to many hotels that did not have AC. The Great Plains of Ca. are a lot like the counterparts in the US , extremes in temps winter/summer. Overall , Ca. does have a better climate than the US, and again the two factors large body's of water and northern latitudes tell the story best.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 AM

22,139 posts, read 29,447,925 times
Bleh. Almost a year later, and Leadhills might get a low C from me, but possibly a D. Braemar might still get a B, but I would prefer warmer summers, more sun and less winter rain.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,644,524 times
Nothing but C's and D's in this country.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 AM

504 posts, read 847,572 times
Central to Southern coastal and near-coastal California all get an A from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather