Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times

Advertisements

...those of you who have created like 30 years of daily data for your dream location, would you mind sharing it ? I'm curious ! Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
I actually have 34 years on file. I may be willing to sending the 2015-2045 dataset for my dream climate. The native format is an Excel file, and is organized by month. The stats that I keep are morning lows, afternoon highs, precipitation, rainfall, and snowfall. By what means would the information be sent or shared?

In case you're wondering why the period is in the future, I decided to start my climate data in 2011 (at the time in the future), so as to avoid any biases in regards to different years and to avoid direct comparisons with real-world climates. However the timing is arbitrary and can be adjusted to whatever time period one chooses without consequence.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
I've got 110 years of data for one of the climates, I could e-mail the spreadsheet to you if you wish to see it all! Each year is on an individual sheet with daily weather data for primary recordings anyway. Data I have is min temp, max temp, mean temp, rain quantity, sunshine hours, snow, occurance of thunder, hail, fog.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:39 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
We should do a fake climate stand-off.... like say Saabtown vs Tymber City. That would be fun.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:03 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
We should do a fake climate stand-off.... like say Saabtown vs Tymber City. That would be fun.
It sure would be fun. I second this idea.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:50 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
I plan on making a lengthy post full of screenshots of my spreadsheet database fairly soon for one of my most recent projects. Gonna have to wait til its done though, and when I can get myself with my laptop to Starbucks as I only have internet through my smartphone right now.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Did people creates 30 years worth of data manually? I'd find it more interesting to create them out of a statistical distribution and see if one could simulate realistic weather.

My idea:

1) Skewed Gaussian distribution for each month
2) Each day is correlated with the previous day
3) Diurnal range based off of sunshine
4) Some way to get random jumps to simulate fronts; size of jumps might depend on season

Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 PM

I would love to receive all of your data files You can send them to davidhfff@gmail.com !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
That would be great! Now I really feel like opening a battle between, say, my dream climate and Patricius'

Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Did people creates 30 years worth of data manually? I'd find it more interesting to create them out of a statistical distribution and see if one could simulate realistic weather.

My idea:

4) Some way to get random jumps to simulate fronts; size of jumps might depend on season
I actually did that with both 1) and 3). However 2) and especially 4) are very hard to simulate...But that would be great indeed.
The problem with Gaussian distributions, also, is that if you simulate a very large number of values, you'll end up with extreme, unwanted values.

I once tried with my July values for dozens of thousands of days and got once a low of 14°C (even with a low standard deviation) whereas my average July low is above 25°C and record July low should be well above 20°C (say like Hong Kong)

Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

My idea:

Mine is done manually but certainly all three of the last factors are taken into account in all the records I made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather