Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vostok or Dallol?
Vostok 21 31.34%
Dallol 46 68.66%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That's because there's no hot place on earth that can match the extreme cold of Antarctica - unless there's a depression 3000m below sea level somewhere in the tropics.
Exactly...I get it if you like cold, but let's not kid ourselves, Vostok is not habitable in the traditional sense of the word. Riyadh may be unpleasant, but it's definitely habitable with the right adaptations. Living in Vostok would require yourself sealing yourself off from the elements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
OMG! Are this two the worst climates on earth or what???

Ok, first, when i saw this and i remembered dallol from another thread, i said to myself "this is a NO BRAINER, of course ill chose Vostok" and i was gonna vote without even watching the stats, but then i did and.....

OH, WELL

-70c!!!!! thats INSANE!!!

I cant believe the coldness that is Vostok and that people live there. You all know that im a heat hater and i already said what i thought about Dallol in that thread. Even thinking about Dallol make me get nausea. I absolutely DESPIDE and HATE Dallol weather. If i was forced to live there, i will kill myself by day 2! Or die of a heat stroke day one.

But, objectivly speaking, even with the way i HATE hot weather, Dallol is more livable than Vostok. Hey, even where i live that haves completely mild summers compare to Dallol, we ve had 43 celsius of heat index this summer and 39 celsius temps and i survived fine. And we had a lot of 30c+ nights (wich were horrible and made me wanna die) and i survived fine. So, being objective, Vostok is worst than Dallol. You can survive in Dallol, being completely unhappy and miserable and all, but Vostok is waaaay too extreme, i cant even think about -70c!!!

I refuse to vote for Dallol anyway (i hate it too much) but i know its a better climate than Vostok.

I think that a more fair comparison to Dallol will be, for example, Base Esperanza ( and i guarantee Base Esperanza will win), cause Vostok is waaaay too extreme and cant be compared to any hot place in the world, imo.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:59 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Good post Sophie, and you're totally right, Vostok is not comparable to anywhere on earth, and Base Esperanza would win for sure.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
^ Those 13 people who brave the winter there must feel like they're living on Pluto, almost. They spend most of their time in climate-controlled modules, only venturing out to do what they have to. Even with protective clothing staying out too long will be fatal.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd say any hot desert climate is more livable than Vostok or the centre of Antarctica. And I'd say almost everyone, once they'd experience months of total darkness, howling gale-force winds, and -80C wind chill would agree, 'heat lover' or 'cold lover.'
I don't believe you've been there, and even if you have, your experiences do not dictate which is better for the rest of us, an arrogant attitude you and a few others on all sides exude. Both Vostok and, say, Death Valley or Dallol, are "habitable" with proper adaptations - adaptations such as clothing, the invention of which you and a few others seem to have blocked from your memory. The equivalent to being out in the elements in Antarctica cut off from any sort of shelter is being in a very hot desert with no shelter, with the burning sun, and oh, the lack of drinking water - elements that would lead to your demise just as the extreme cold conditions of Antarctica would lead to it.

Don't kid yourself about that . The same exact argument you use to justify very hot deserts being habitable (adaptations) justifies Antarctic habitability as well.

As Dunno indicated, both extremes would be horrific for the vast majority of people. Perhaps one isn't as bad as the other, but very few on any side would like them. Arguing about which one isn't as bad is rather pointless, climate choices such as the OP's notwithstanding. Obviously people can live in both extremes (since they have), so the habitability issue is irrelevant.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Dallol by far.

It's a dry heat.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,066,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Dallol by far.

It's a dry heat.
Is it? Dallol is fairly close to the Red Sea...

Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
At Vostok Station winter temperatures, a lot machinery doesn't work; exposed skin freezes within minutes. Regular life is near impossible. All ventures outside would require a high amount of planning.

Dallol would be very unpleasant, but especially around nighttime and early morning, regular outdoor activity would be doable.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:13 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,595,728 times
Winchills at Vostok could approach -100C on occasions I suspect.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:13 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,066,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
At Vostok Station winter temperatures, a lot machinery doesn't work; exposed skin freezes within minutes. Regular life is near impossible. All ventures outside would require a high amount of planning.

Dallol would be very unpleasant, but especially around nighttime and early morning, regular outdoor activity would be doable.
Exactly, there's really no comparison. Vostok is in a whole other realm of inhospitality.

Does anyone happen to know if there's anything in the way of flora and fauna in Dallol?

It's worth noting that Dallol has much milder climates nearby, like this gem only 75 miles away as the crow flies: Mekele Climate Guide, Ethiopia | World Climate Guide

I looked up some photos of Dallol and it is actually a very beautiful place -- lots of interesting geological features:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather