Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,176,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Even for Turin, at least in the italian contest, the stereotype sees it as a really foggy and cold city, in practice as an Italian version of Coketown from the Dickens novel. So even Turin is more likely associate with winter.
A lot of people tend to associate Turin with this weather --> http://www.torinoinsolita.it/public/...g2/1_0_142.jpg
It is quite ironic, considering that (in particular in the last few years) foggy days like that are quite rare.
Italian standards for "cold" cities are just ridiculous. Also, the differences of temperatures, sunshine and rainfall between north and south are very often exaggerated.
That said, I tend to associate Turin more with autumn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:39 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,437,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Italian standards for "cold" cities are just ridiculous. Also, the differences of temperatures, sunshine and rainfall between north and south are very often exaggerated.
I was mainly thinking about people from southern Italy. Here there are a lot of people who moved in Turin from southern Italy, and it is always funny to hear the comments of their relatives/friends who remained in their region of origin.

Anyway, also autumn is probably a good association for Turin. Good choice
There are a lot of trees along the city's streets, and also a lots of parks, so even the view is not bad. Obviously the inhabitants of the city found a way to complain even about autumn. In fact, according to them, "the fallen leaves are too annoying, and they make a mess on the sidewalks"

Old 07-07-2015, 02:15 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,984,696 times
Quote:
What are Italian standards for cold? I am asking that because I see that we have many similarities.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,567,528 times
Ask most people in the UK and they will associate the whole of Italy with summer, thinking it's hot and sunny all the time. They will laugh at you if you tell them that Northern Italy has much colder winters than the UK.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Ask most people in the UK and they will associate the whole of Italy with summer, thinking it's hot and sunny all the time. They will laugh at you if you tell them that Northern Italy has much colder winters than the UK.
This is true. I see that many people from the North think that here in the South we have an eternal summer And they come here in winter and they feel cold.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
What are Italian standards for cold? I am asking that because I see that we have many similarities.
Yes, I know "Cold" in Italy means anything below 10°C I think.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know "Cold" in Italy means anything below 10°C I think.
So we are similar in weather too. Hahaha But I think that this is true. I wear heavy jacket from 7 C and below because I can 't stand it with a light jacket. Bitterly humid cold. It penetrates your clothes and your skin and you feel it in your bones. I guess that the same happens there in Italy.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
So we are similar in weather too. Hahaha But I think that this is true. I wear heavy jacket from 7 C and below because I can 't stand it with a light jacket. Bitterly humid cold. It penetrates your clothes and your skin and you feel it in your bones. I guess that the same happens there in Italy.
For me dry cold is much worse, especially if it's windy. And also I'm not a cold lover like you!

Old 07-07-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
For me dry cold is much worse, especially if it's windy. And also I'm not a cold lover like you!
Generally I love both kinds of cold. Dry and windy cold yes is too bad too and worse. But I like it. Even if my bones are shaking through it hahaha. I feel cleaner atmosphere with dry and windy cold. And when we have dry and windy cold weather here it is usually sunny so I prefer it.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,441,311 times
Quote:
For me dry cold is much worse, especially if it's windy.
Same here for me.

When it's 0C with 30% humidity, it feels cooler to me than 0C with 95% humidity. Because in the former scenario, I think that evaporative cooling on my skin is more prevalent (although at temps significantly below freezing, there isn't much difference). And yes, when there is wind, dry cold is more penetrating, in my experience.

Last edited by Shalop; 07-07-2015 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather