Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It seems a bit much; I have a friend who lived in Colorado for a few years who said the winters are mild and sunny. My image of Denver isn't cold and snowbound; I think it's a mismatch. And until looking up weather stats, I assume Denver wasn't very snowy since it's semi-arid and the Plains in general has dry winters.
On the weather forecast Denver always seems to get really cold. January stats would confirm it is certainly not 'mild' in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:23 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,002,275 times
Well, for some reason, I have noticed Denver being portrayed in winter mode sometimes (eg. in a travel guide sometimes I will see the city of Denver shown in a photo while snow is on the ground -- maybe to fit the Rockies/"Mile High City" image).

Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,002,275 times
Or maybe it was just coincidence that the ones (travel books) I picked up in the past when I was young and looked at showed Denver in winter, and nothing more than that (sometimes the first time you see a photo of a city, especially when young, it may give you first impressions).

Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 PM

414 posts, read 795,783 times
Denver is subject to a chinook wind off the Rockies, making for some very warm winter days at times and bumping up the average. For this reason snow doesn't tend to stick around, of course it's a different story in the true Rocky Mountains towns such as Dillon, Fraser and Aspen.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,723,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnerd86 View Post
Internationally, Australia is the land of eternal sunshine and heat. Whilst this isn't entirely true, warmth dominates for the majority of the year in most places. Even "cool" cities such as Canberra, Melbourne and Hobart are warm on a global scale, and cold stereotypes associated with these cities are only known within Australia and purported by Australians. Our major weather events are all warm weather types (heatwaves, cyclones, bushfires, floods and drought).

Therefore, all Australian cities (most definitely Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Darwin) are synonymous with summer. The only places synonymous with winter are the ski resorts, which aren't internationally known by any stretch.
Darwin is probably more associated with winter, or the ""Dry Season"", even if there is no real winter to speak of.
Most people that go there, go there when it is not so hot and humid - ie May-Sept, as well as the fact that the roads become impassable during the wet season to the nearby wetlands and national parks.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
On the weather forecast Denver always seems to get really cold. January stats would confirm it is certainly not 'mild' in winter.
Depends on your perspective. Compared to much of New England and upstate NY, it's mild. And looking at the daily highs, it's warmer than anywhere in the Northeast US in January.

It gets some severe cold snaps, but the high number of mild 50+ °F days make it feel mild and give an impression of a break from winter. The high sunshine also helps; a lot of our milder winter days get cloud.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Darwin is probably more associated with winter, or the ""Dry Season"", even if there is no real winter to speak of.
Most people that go there, go there when it is not so hot and humid - ie May-Sept, as well as the fact that the roads become impassable during the wet season to the nearby wetlands and national parks.
I actually associate with Darwin with the monsoon - spectacular lightning shows, tropical storms. But yes, most people who visit Darwin do so in the dry. Like Tojo in the Hoodoo Guru's song, I never quite made it to Darwin lol. Katherine was as close as I got. And boy was it hot for September (one day was 24-39C).

Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
I think my town is associated with fall; and the surrounding countryside gets fall foliage tourism. Cool to mild crisp clear days. New England is often associated with harsh winters, but that's more Northern New England. Some local photos...

Mid-October just before the leaves change:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/351_590932359655_9009_n.jpg (broken link)

A few weeks later:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/377_594468458285_408154_37492126_9810_n.jpg (broken link)

Some pretty fall leaves:

Snow?! That doesn't belong in fall!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,270,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
January stats would confirm it is certainly not 'mild' in winter.
Their average high in January is 47F. Daytime highs like that don't really even qualify as winter temps to me. Of course, the average low is 16F, but that's a continental climate for you. If every day was average they'd basically get a break from winter every afternoon. I'd think they'd have a lot of icy mornings, though.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Their average high in January is 47F. Daytime highs like that don't really even qualify as winter temps to me. Of course, the average low is 16F, but that's a continental climate for you. If every day was average they'd basically get a break from winter every afternoon. I'd think they'd have a lot of icy mornings, though.
Anything below freezing is more than enough winter for me. Perth basically never gets below freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather