Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:50 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times

Advertisements

CC, you seem like north QLD left something to be desired I've never been to any Med or dry climates, how's it feel compared to Puerto Rico, or the Caribbean? Stats may be one thing, but actually experiencing is more accurate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 03:01 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I still think humidity is more uncomfortable. I was in Seville in September and temps were in the mid 90's. Felt really comfortable in the shade.
I remember being in Orlando one year in August and though temps peaked in the low 90's, it felt much worse than Seville.

Townsville climate looks like paradise for warm lovers. Winter temps are perfect. I prefer cooler winters (like the Med), but I would love to esacpe winter there for a few weeks each year.

Off topic, but met some Aussies last night at a local pub. They are touring the US East Coast. Someone asked them how was their summer. They said "we didn't have one, it rained sixty days straight" or something to that effect. Must look really lush right about now there.
It is definitely more uncomfortable, however this discomfort I do not equate it with body heat. I'm used to feeling mild fatigue merely from the heat of West Oz sunshine. You step into the shade in WA and it feels almost like stepping into air-conditioning.

It's still not my ideal, but not bad. Early one morning I was thinking "...It feels a bit chilly with this rain, what's the actual temperature?..." and I found out it was 24 C /75 F. Probably because there was not even trace amounts of sun heat and the cooling effect of the 24 C rain on the skin. I usually feel warmer on a 19 C/67 F partly cloudy sunrise in Perth.

Yes, there is soft bright green grass everywhere, waist high.
(This will be a ridiculous fire hazard later in the year? )

Old 03-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
CC, you seem like north QLD left something to be desired I've never been to any Med or dry climates,

how's it feel compared to Puerto Rico, or the Caribbean? Stats may be one thing, but actually experiencing is more accurate
Well I got used to West Australian sun which is easily twice as hot as Toronto sunshine.
I can actually feel mild heat fatigue from the West Oz sun at temperatures as low as 19 C/67 F.
Even in Bunbury and Margaret River.

I haven't seen enough sunshine in QLD to tell when the air is warm enough for the sun to feel hot.
I would guess no sooner than 21 C or 22 C. (70-72 F)

Hard to tell because my only experience of the Caribbean is when I travel there during Canadian winter. The sun feels especially strong at first because my skin is so pale. I have a pretty deep base tan at the moment; dark enough I can't really get any darker. That and I visit the Caribbean being winter acclimated and now I'm summer acclimated. Winter is also the drier, sunnier time of year in the Caribbean.

Townsville so far has mostly felt lukewarm-to-very-warm affecting my core temperature, and coolish+damp or warm+sticky for humidity. I seldom sense anything that actually feels hot. Right now it's sunrise (overcast though) and I feel a bit chilled. I'm in shorts and a hoodie.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:28 PM

Default more discoveries...

I assumed I'd feel warmer in Townsville, thinking about how the temperatures sound when I'm acclimated to Toronto summer. Only it feels cooler than I expected... which leads me to believe I'm more "solar charged" than I thought. I was wondering why I get cold so easy after sunset in WA. I think it's mostly I get spoiled by hot WA sunshine, so there's a big contrast to how I felt just hours ago.

I'd also thought that spending a year in WA would mean the humidity of Queensland might hit me harder... but it didn't.

The dewpoints have ranged from 21-25 C (70-77 F) the entire time I've been here, most often it's 23 C (73-74 F), and I find that a dewpoint of 23 C does not feel muggy to me. I don't notice any challenges to breathing with a dewpoint of only 23 C... Makes me more curious as to how dewpoints from 65-74 F (18-23 C) could irritate so many summer-hating City-Data posters.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
You might end up enjoying winter (the dry season) more!

How about Mt. Isa for summer and Darwin during winter? I reckon that would be perfection for you.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:00 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Well I got used to West Australian sun which is easily twice as hot as Toronto sunshine.
I can actually feel mild heat fatigue from the West Oz sun at temperatures as low as 19 C/67 F.
Even in Bunbury and Margaret River.

I haven't seen enough sunshine in QLD to tell when the air is warm enough for the sun to feel hot.
I would guess no sooner than 21 C or 22 C. (70-72 F)

Hard to tell because my only experience of the Caribbean is when I travel there during Canadian winter. The sun feels especially strong at first because my skin is so pale. I have a pretty deep base tan at the moment; dark enough I can't really get any darker. That and I visit the Caribbean being winter acclimated and now I'm summer acclimated. Winter is also the drier, sunnier time of year in the Caribbean.

Townsville so far has mostly felt lukewarm-to-very-warm affecting my core temperature, and coolish+damp or warm+sticky for humidity. I seldom sense anything that actually feels hot. Right now it's sunrise (overcast though) and I feel a bit chilled. I'm in shorts and a hoodie.
Curious to how tanned you are.. like this image this one below is a random I found online , of a moderately tanned person compared to a pale.

http://edwardsrmissionaries.com/wp-c...a1-300x225.jpg

Here is a pic of me and father, 2 years ago before I started working out...as you can see I am quite tanned..

http://oi40.tinypic.com/sb3mo0.jpg

Which pic are you closer too, top one or one of me?

Last edited by Bottletree; 03-17-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
Curious to how tanned you are.. like this image this one below is a random I found online , of a moderately tanned person compared to a pale.

http://edwardsrmissionaries.com/wp-c...a1-300x225.jpg

Here is a pic of me and father, 2 years ago before I started working out...as you can see I am quite tanned..

http://oi40.tinypic.com/sb3mo0.jpg

Which pic are you closer too, top one or one of me?
The first picture, "moderately tanned" is a bit lighter than my skin.
This would probably be my colour on the lighter parts of me.

Your upper forearms/elbows seem quite dark.
I'm probably a little darker than that on my legs, arms and face.
About the same on my chest and back as your forearms?

I don't think I look sunburnt though.
I'm very carefull not only to avoid burning,
but also avoid getting very hot dry skin.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times
Hah, just wondering because you said you couldn't get any darker. I hate how the sun here doesn't even feel hot in june/july. I think you mentioned before you are outside quite a bit, so that would explain it. Around that time of the picture, people actually asked if I was hispanic because I was so dark(was in the states).

By the way... 28c here today, warmer then townsville? record temps

Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I assumed I'd feel warmer in Townsville, thinking about how the temperatures sound when I'm acclimated to Toronto summer. Only it feels cooler than I expected... which leads me to believe I'm more "solar charged" than I thought. I was wondering why I get cold so easy after sunset in WA. I think it's mostly I get spoiled by hot WA sunshine, so there's a big contrast to how I felt just hours ago.

I'd also thought that spending a year in WA would mean the humidity of Queensland might hit me harder... but it didn't.

The dewpoints have ranged from 21-25 C (70-77 F) the entire time I've been here, most often it's 23 C (73-74 F), and I find that a dewpoint of 23 C does not feel muggy to me. I don't notice any challenges to breathing with a dewpoint of only 23 C... Makes me more curious as to how dewpoints from 65-74 F (18-23 C) could irritate so many summer-hating City-Data posters.
From what I'm interpreting, seems like you prefer sun warmth over just air warmth? Do you prefer WA over Townsville?

For me, I never felt dry air except during high pressure in the middle of winter, so I couldn't say. I'm only used to hot, sultry conditions

Old 03-18-2012, 01:21 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
Surely Townsville's lower latitude compared to Bunbury ought to compensate for the filtering effect of humidity somewhat? Although I guess CC wasn't there at the time of peak solar intensity (january).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather