Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,739,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
From what I'm interpreting, seems like you prefer sun warmth over just air warmth? Do you prefer WA over Townsville?

For me, I never felt dry air except during high pressure in the middle of winter, so I couldn't say. I'm only used to hot, sultry conditions
I think so, as long as I haven't been out in the sun too long already for a particular day. Yes and no. I think between Perth and Townsville I'm equally happy, (I hate Perth winter until at least August) but I think I'd like the climate further north in WA like Kalbarri or Carnarvon. I might prefer Karratha/Port Hedland too but I've never been there... dunno.

Well imho, townsville is neither hot nor sultry. Well maybe briefly midday when we had a spell of sunshine... Normally we have less than 6 hrs of sunshine a day, but once it was sunny all day long for 2-3 days. Then it was sorta hot and sultry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
Hah, just wondering because you said you couldn't get any darker. I hate how the sun here doesn't even feel hot in june/july. I think you mentioned before you are outside quite a bit, so that would explain it. Around that time of the picture, people actually asked if I was hispanic because I was so dark(was in the states).

By the way... 28c here today, warmer then townsville? record temps
Cool. Sometimes people say I look half-aboriginal.

No, but that's impressive for Winnipeg.

Today is 28/23 C (82/73 F) with 80+mm (3.5"+) of rain forecast. It's been just like this since Thursday... no sunshine. Bit of flooding. Not heavy rain, just steady light-to-moderate rain that seldom quits.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,640,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Today is 28/23 C (82/73 F) with 80+mm (3.5"+) of rain forecast. It's been just like this since Thursday... no sunshine. Bit of flooding. Not heavy rain, just steady light-to-moderate rain that seldom quits.

Sounds like a warmer Vancouver to me...

Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,448,953 times
I'd hate to depend on sunshine to feel warm. This is one reason I chose Brisbane over SF in the other thread. I have a very fair skin and strong sun is simply not good for it, if not plain dangerous.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,858,782 times
Quote:

That's what I miss the most of home the daily heavy downpours, sunny morning skies but cloudy stormy afternoons for 8 months out of the year

Old 03-18-2012, 07:30 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,646,322 times
So how are the smells in Townsville compared to Perth? Today was quite humid and it really brought the smells out of the trees and such, been quite dry the past few weeks.

I would assume there would be much more interesting smells of the plants and flowers in Townsville, accentuated by the higher humidity. I find that in drier/ lower humid conditions the smells of the nature are not as prominent.

I would assume in Cairns( if you were there yet) there would be even more lush vegetation and smells of nature and tropical foliage, because of the much higher precipitation. Even moreso in Innisfail.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
[/b]

Sounds like a warmer Vancouver to me...
Actually it would feel the same, being acclimated to Perth summer sun...
as it does acclimated to Toronto winter visiting Vancouver in spring.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what I miss the most of home the daily heavy downpours, sunny morning skies but cloudy stormy afternoons for 8 months out of the year
I haven't seen unobstructed sunshine in (what feels like) over a week, not even for a few minutes.

These aren't "downpours" but very, very long showery spells, mixed with spells of sprinkles, occaisional pauses in precipitation, all under fully overcast skies. Deneb78 hit it right; Vancouver but warmer.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
So how are the smells in Townsville compared to Perth? Today was quite humid and it really brought the smells out of the trees and such, been quite dry the past few weeks.

I would assume there would be much more interesting smells of the plants and flowers in Townsville, accentuated by the higher humidity. I find that in drier/ lower humid conditions the smells of the nature are not as prominent.

I would assume in Cairns( if you were there yet) there would be even more lush vegetation and smells of nature and tropical foliage, because of the much higher precipitation. Even moreso in Innisfail.
There are some interesting smells in Perth too. Probably a lot of that depends on what plants grow in the local area. Townsville's not bad, but I wouldn't consider it a lot more fragrant than Perth. Perth's eucalpyts and other heath vegetation often has their own fragrances. Maybe I need to go to an area with different vegetation... or wait for more sunshine?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,858,782 times
Quote:
I haven't seen unobstructed sunshine in (what feels like) over a week, not even for a few minutes.

These aren't "downpours" but very, very long showery spells, mixed with spells of sprinkles, occaisional pauses in precipitation, all under fully overcast skies. Deneb78 hit it right; Vancouver but warmer.
That's pretty different from Puerto Rico there's no such thing as sprinkles or showers. It's only proper deep soaking rain, depends on how long it lasts. At least on the north coast and the mountains, I can't speak for the south coast. All I know about that part is the temperature regime is the same as Darwin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather