Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No deadly animals, just a lot of deadly criminals . Violent crime rate is similar to Tijuana, unfortunately. I'd rather be in Queensland at least you can get a nice little chunk of land around your area unlike in Puerto Rico which is extremely hard to come by (too many mountains). I always did say I vastly prefer Australia to any other country in the world, climatically speaking. Only thing I hate is the vast distance to and from the mainland US. At least Guam is a 4 hour flight north of Cairns
Ah. I'd rather take my chances with wildlife.

Townsville has mountains surrounding it. Mostly flat land but there are always mountains on the horizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
How are the animals/critters in Townsville? See any king cobra snakes yet?
Cobras are African/Asian aren't they?

No we have snakes like Death Adders, Taipans and King Browns.
Haven't seen any snakes in Queensland myself yet.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Yikes, make that "well over 500 mm" now.

Some crazy stuff up there. But oh-so-rainy Brisbane has yet to reach 100 mm: Brisbane, Qld - Daily Weather Observations

Sorry, couldn't help it.
Hahaha.

Imho,
Townsville in my experience lives up to Brisbane's summer reputation.
Brisbane likewise gave me weather that I would associate with Sydney.
(warmth-wise /heat-wise)

Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Ah. I'd rather take my chances with wildlife.

Townsville has mountains surrounding it. Mostly flat land but there are always mountains on the horizon.
Yeah same here that's why I wanna live in Australia so bad lol. I don't have to barricade my house with burgle bars on every single opening. The yearly statistic of 800-1000 murders every year doesn't help either, and we only have 3.9M people Australia and Canada as a whole combined probably don't get that high

That being said, I'm still jealous you're living there now

Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yeah same here that's why I wanna live in Australia so bad lol. I don't have to barricade my house with burgle bars on every single opening. The yearly statistic of 800-1000 murders every year doesn't help either, and we only have 3.9M people Australia and Canada as a whole combined probably don't get that high

That being said, I'm still jealous you're living there now
That is rather high.
I think Toronto usually averages 60-90 murders a year, in a city of 3 million?

Cheers mate.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 AM

Default humidity?

I used to be able to tell how high the dewpoint was simply by breathing and thought I would instantly notice how thick it is in Queensland, but it's just the opposite. I hardly notice any difference...

I suspect it's because where I've been living, the dewpoints are almost never below freezing, so maybe I'm forgetting what typical Spring/Winter/Autumn humidity levels were like in Toronto.

That said, the dewpoint seems to be a great indicator of if you sweat how much you will sweat, or rather how long your sweat will stick around. Right now I have moderately-thin air that makes me sweat very easily.

Heat Index with high humidity?

Thermally, I think being drenched in sweat in a breeze is cooler, core-temperature-wise, in humid conditions than dry conditions... Because in Western Australia it's common for the wind to dry up most of your excersize-induced sweat within minutes, which soon becomes replaced by a "baking" or "parching" sensation. In very humid conditions, that baking sensation just never happens in a breeze. Since you will never dry, the wind over the sweat will always be cooling.

Perhaps having skin covered in sweat places other demands on the body?

I just know that I feel hotter more easily in West Australian sun at 36 C/97 F and "no humidity" than here in Townsville unobstructed sun at 31 C/88 F and 65+% humidity, and yet, heat index calculations would probably say they are equal.

Furthermore...

Sticking an arm out the window while driving, if you are sweaty, it's noticeable that in humid conditions it's not "as refreshing" as to how quickly the wind dries your skin. This isn't a thermal sensation, but I think it makes a difference in skin comfort.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Do you think the deep south of the u.s is worse then northern queensland heatwise? Are you considering darwin or cairns?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times

townsville tornado

Old 03-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
Do you think the deep south of the u.s is worse then northern queensland heatwise?

Are you considering darwin or cairns?
Yes, South Carolinians might laugh at what people from Townsville consider *hot*. In Townsville many use it as a blanket statement to describe anything that resembles Townsville summer, so hot can be 25-26 C (77-79 F) with 80% humidity, nevermind that the heat index feels 10 C (18 F) lower than it did midday. I can wear a hooded sweatshirt and long pants, sweat free if I don't move to quick in what counts as *hot* weather here. (Some of the locals are more like me, don't consider it hot without at least a 35 C/95 F heat index)

Cairns? No, not at the moment. No work in my field there. It's also rainier, less sunny and more humid than Townsville. "Mrs. ColdCanadian" finds the humidity here already annoying, while myself, I generally dislike like it, but appreciate that it keeps the night times warmer. The weather is not much of an issue for me.

Darwin? Ah... That has always been a bit of a dream for me. She thinks it would feel too isolated as Townsville feels a bit small, plus resents their more extreme Wet and Dry season patterns. In a way, me too because Darwin is terribly far from any Australian surfing beach.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:47 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Darwin? Ah... That has always been a bit of a dream for me. She thinks it would feel too isolated as Townsville feels a bit small, plus resents their more extreme Wet and Dry season patterns. In a way, me too because Darwin is terribly far from any Australian surfing beach.
If you don't like the wet season in Townsville, Darwin would be much worse. Winters would be to die for though, with bone-dry humidity, practically no rain and the strong sun at 12 S.

Where's the nearest surfing beach to Townsville? I always thought the surf was strictly in the SE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather