U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:37 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,680,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
If you don't like the wet season in Townsville, Darwin would be much worse. Winters would be to die for though, with bone-dry humidity, practically no rain and the strong sun at 12 S.

Where's the nearest surfing beach to Townsville? I always thought the surf was strictly in the SE.
With the exception of lightning is apparently rare in North Queensland.
It feels like Perth; stormy conditions with barely zero lightning... scarcely a rumble.
I'm used to hearing about 10-20 good *BANGS* per summer thunderstorm in Toronto... so what 100-300 a year?

Nearest surfing beach to Townsville is about 11 hrs drive from here.

Darwin the nearest Australian surfing beach is 3000+km away.

Yes Darwin's winters would be superb.
Its July is practically identical to Perth's averages for January.
Summertime is stil my most favourite time of year in southwestern WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:29 AM

6,051 posts, read 3,099,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
With the exception of lightning is apparently rare in North Queensland.
It feels like Perth; stormy conditions with barely zero lightning... scarcely a rumble.
I'm used to hearing about 10-20 good *BANGS* per summer thunderstorm in Toronto... so what 100-300 a year?

Nearest surfing beach to Townsville is about 11 hrs drive from here.

Darwin the nearest Australian surfing beach is 3000+km away.

Yes Darwin's winters would be superb.
Its July is practically identical to Perth's averages for January.
Summertime is stil my most favourite time of year in southwestern WA.

Is it possible this is due to the really cool summer Australia is having this year? My understanding is the tropical Australia in summer gets some pretty good tstorms. Might be wrong though.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Is it possible this is due to the really cool summer Australia is having this year? My understanding is the tropical Australia in summer gets some pretty good tstorms. Might be wrong though.
It sounds like a climate feature for lightning to be rarer than my experiences in Toronto.
Local residents have never heard of Townsville getting as much lightning as I've seen in Canada.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 AM

7,032 posts, read 4,079,618 times
Quote:
It sounds like a climate feature for lightning to be rarer than my experiences in Toronto.
Local residents have never heard of Townsville getting as much lightning as I've seen in Canada.
I have a NASA Lightning Density overlay on Google Earth, and compared lightning density between Townsville and Toronto.

Townsville has around 8-10 strikes per square kilometer density per year, while Toronto also has between 8-10 strikes per square kilometer per year, so both receive roughly the same amount of lightning based on that source.

Latitude relative therefore, Toronto does appear to do better storm wise, possibly because it is on a vast continent whereas Townsville is on a much smaller land mass with far less contrasting airmasses interacting. But that aside, it seems there shouldn't be any considerable difference noticed in lightning frequency between the two places.

The only other stat to go by to determine which place has the most intense thunderstorms would perhaps be annual thunderstorm days, so we could determine that the place with the fewest might have more lightning per storm occasion.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I have a NASA Lightning Density overlay on Google Earth, and compared lightning density between Townsville and Toronto.

Townsville has around 8-10 strikes per square kilometer density per year, while Toronto also has between 8-10 strikes per square kilometer per year, so both receive roughly the same amount of lightning based on that source.

Latitude relative therefore, Toronto does appear to do better storm wise, possibly because it is on a vast continent whereas Townsville is on a much smaller land mass with far less contrasting airmasses interacting. But that aside, it seems there shouldn't be any considerable difference noticed in lightning frequency between the two places.

The only other stat to go by to determine which place has the most intense thunderstorms would perhaps be annual thunderstorm days, so we could determine that the place with the fewest might have more lightning per storm occasion.
In Australia I've seen a lot of cloud-to-cloud lightning that is too far away for a *BOOM.*
In Toronto almost all of our lightning is cloud-to-ground.

Toronto has a lot of humid warm fronts clashing with sharp cold fronts.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 PM

4,806 posts, read 1,821,696 times
How are you liking the start of the dry season CC?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
How are you liking the start of the dry season CC?
Excellent! Feels like typical Perth weather in January.

A bit cool at sunrise, warmish by 7:30am, warm at 8am,
very warm from 9am until at least sunset...
warm until sometime between 8-10pm.

Humidity is now moderate; (15-20 C/59-68 F dewpoints)
hard to notice unless you are somewhere without wind... or you are excersizing.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 AM

4,806 posts, read 1,821,696 times
Around 30 to 31 with around 55-60% humidity values is perfect for me. That is what it has been around here for the past few days (not in wpg).

Old 04-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Default ambient temperatures aren't everything...

I'm surprised how the Wet Season in Townsville compared with hot weather conditions in Western Australia.

Looking on local forecast conditions for Darwin vs Townsville,
I notice their humidity and temperatures are like the hottest, sweatiest days I've seen in Townsville.
Our temperatures are a bit lower in Townsville now,
and while I wouldn't mind higher temperatures,
the lower humidity and higher sunshine levels are much more appealing.

It was hard to tell in Toronto,
because high temperatures almost always occured with high dewpoints.

Having a look around Australian weather forecasts,
I think I find Broome's climate, not Darwin, probably my most favourite climate in Australia.

In Townsville and even Perth, I was always happier in our drier periods.

I used to think Exmouth was the best,
but I think I'd dislike Exmouth's high diurnal range and cooler winters.

Last time I saw Broome's forecast it was 34/25 C (93/77 F) with a dewpoint of 14 C/ 57 F.
Compare that with Darwin's 33/24 C (93/75 F) but a dewpoint of 23 C/73 F.

High dewpoints contribute to lower reflected solar heat, as well as making you sweat more.

I now don't see a comfort-advantage to dewpoints higher than 20 C/68 F.
Dewpoints up to 20 C/68 F, I'm nearly immune to humidity-induced sweating.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 PM

1,507 posts, read 992,937 times
Quote:
I'm surprised how the Wet Season in Townsville compared with hot weather conditions in Western Australia.

Looking on local forecast conditions for Darwin vs Townsville,
I notice their humidity and temperatures are like the hottest, sweatiest days I've seen in Townsville.
Our temperatures are a bit lower in Townsville now,
and while I wouldn't mind higher temperatures,
the lower humidity and higher sunshine levels are much more appealing.

It was hard to tell in Toronto,
because high temperatures almost always occured with high dewpoints.

Having a look around Australian weather forecasts,
I think I find Broome's climate, not Darwin, probably my most favourite climate in Australia.
In Townsville and even Perth, I was always happier in our drier periods.

I used to think Exmouth was the best,
but I think I'd dislike Exmouth's high diurnal range and cooler winters.

Last time I saw Broome's forecast it was 34/25 C (93/77 F) with a dewpoint of 14 C/ 57 F.
Compare that with Darwin's 33/24 C (93/75 F) but a dewpoint of 23 C/73 F.

High dewpoints contribute to lower reflected solar heat, as well as making you sweat more.

I now don't see a comfort-advantage to dewpoints higher than 20 C/68 F.
Dewpoints up to 20 C/68 F, I'm nearly immune to humidity-induced sweating.

It seems like North Queensland is good for you, humidity-induced sweating is something that I find totally insufferable - even worse than somewhere like Mecca in summer.
I've lived in such discomfort where only ceiling fans were available - and they simply don't work - even if on all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather