Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
This Southerner spends 8 hours a day sweating. If it were possible (and I could afford to) I'd crank my A/C down to 55 F after I got off work. My high school wasn't air conditioned when I went there-all my classes had an unmistakeable scent of a locker room.

Florida in particular owes it's ridiculous growth to A/C. Most commercial buildings since the late sixties were designed for artificial environments-the windows don't even open on the buildings anymore. It would be a window retro fitters dream if we suddenly didn't have A/C, but I'm guessing there would be A LOT of vacant buildings and homes.
Southern half of FL is like another world. Hard to grasp till you live here as long as we have and I actually do like 82/62 type days but that is about the maximum I find to my liking. Anytime the median temp for the day is somewhat below the 75 degrees I crank the A/C to during our nine months of summer 94/80 I treat as a blessing from the heavens above. Quite different from all the northerners yawning for eternal summer weather.. I bet more and more long suffering Floridians will escape as far north as possible in coming decades.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 05:05 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Quite different from all the northerners yawning for eternal summer weather.. I bet more and more long suffering Floridians will escape as far north as possible in coming decades.
That's very true, and I'm convinced it's the trend of the future - "get out of Florida with its miserable summers and experience snow and cooler summers" will be the rallying cry, as opposed to "get to a warmer climate and avoid all that miserable shoveling". Sure, those existing in Florida now because of a climatic move will stay there, but as new generations arise a lot of these people will be inclined towards cold and snow (seeing as they obviously didn't move there by choice) and will want to move north. The proportion of winter-lovers in the next generation in the Sun Belt will be much greater than in the previous generation. This is sort of a pendulum effect - the Northerners who want snow stay where they are and the ones who want warmer climates move southward - they have children who have preferences more in line with the averages, then the ones who want warmth stay where they are and the ones who want snow move northward.

This trend is already starting to take shape. The previous demographic trend of moving south and west has morphed into just a westward track - the biggest growth rates now are in the west, not in just the Sun Belt as was previously the case. There are more young people in the Sun Belt that want out (and want cooler summers and snowy winters) as opposed to their parent's generation, and for the first time ever last year I saw advertisements for one-way plane tickets to get out of Florida.

So I think the trend as the next generation takes hold in the next 30 or 50 years and the old generations die out or settle down will be northward, and possibly still westward as well.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:55 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
Yes, yes, yes! Southern climate is miserable from June to August. It's so humid that on some days I'd rather take Arizona's dry heat. And it's hot - 90+ degrees happens very frequently in most summers. Southern climate is good in October to April, but geeze, I'm in Tennessee and would take a Massachusetts climate ANY day of the week.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:50 PM

824 posts, read 688,603 times
Yes, like northerners I avoid the outdoors a few months. But rather than winter, it is summer, I despise it! This is why you may have noticed my preference for very mild to semi-nonexistent summers, I simply cannot enjoy going outside during them.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:34 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,111 times
I think they only like summer because of the long daylight hours, they enjoy 8-9pm sunsets (with DST) in the summer but still like cool environment. Well if its like that then climates like PNW or coastal Norcal (or most of Europe) is preferable for them. 9pm or later sunsets + comfortable cool summers.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Weather is meant to be fun not just comfortable all year! Since we have this great technology. Just because I like the inside to be a cool temperature, doesn't mean I can't enjoy the sensation of high dewpoints for temporary periods of time during the summer.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:18 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
No A/C here... yet it doesn't get has hot as Florida for sure, although we have our fair share of 35+ days most summers.

For me it is normal to have my house between 25 and 30c in the summer, we close our curtains in most hot days in July and August (and sometimes June and september) and I don't wear a shirt inside at that time of the year, but that's what summer is about. A/C is more useful in buses or cars because you usually stay behind a window which makes it hotter.

I don't know how I fould feel if I had to live in Bangkok though.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:41 AM

29,518 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Cities such as Phoenix, Las Vegas would barely be a blip on a map if not for AC. Houston, Dallas, or any major city of the Deep South would not be nearly as important today without AC.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:19 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Cities such as Phoenix, Las Vegas would barely be a blip on a map if not for AC. Houston, Dallas, or any major city of the Deep South would not be nearly as important today without AC.
I live in Phoenix and spent years working outdoors, even during July of 2009 which was a tie for our hottest month ever. You learn to hydrate and adapt. I'm still here anyways

Old 04-21-2016, 04:30 PM

892 posts, read 859,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I doubt that is true, New Orleans for example was at one point the top 5 biggest cities in the USA in the 1800s. The reason Northern cities flourished was due to industrialization which allowed Southern cities like New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah to stagnate. Now with the economy more "white collar" than ever before Southern cities are again surging but this time because of weather considerations and cheap QOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather