U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2012, 05:28 AM

25,436 posts, read 13,717,453 times

Advertisements

5/19/12
  • Crystal Mountain Ski Resort in WA Still open
  • It remains just one of seven North American resorts still in operation
  • Near Record Snowfall for Crystal Mountain.
  • 4 Feet still at the "Base". Over 9 Feet on the "Summit"
  • 2 inches fell on summit 3 days ago while it was warm down low.
  • Last year they were opened till July
Crystal Mountain still open with near-record snowfall | | The Bulletin

Crystal Mountain still open with near-record snowfall
By Mark Yuasa / The Seattle Times

Published: May 20. 2012 4:00AM PST

Crystal Mountain Resort remains just one of seven North American resorts still in operation, and if all the stars align, snow lovers could be carving turns there well into early summer.

“Right now it’s kind of up in the air if we’ll get to July like last year, and it all depends on the weather,” said Tiana Enger, the Crystal Resort marketing director.

The weather has been quite warm this week at the resort east of Mt. Rainier, but, surprisingly, 2 inches of new snow fell Thursday night on the summit.

Enger says they’ll know more on extending the season this week after looking at the long-range forecast.
“There is an 80 percent chance that we’ll get into the first two weekends of June,” Enger said.

Through Friday, there was 50 inches at the base and 115 inches on the summit.

The season snowfall total is 580 inches; the record is the 612 inches that fell in 2010-11 when the resort stayed open until July 16. The previous record was 598 inches in 1998-99.

Looks like some Spring fun!

Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM

5,092 posts, read 2,770,553 times
The race is on to see how much the near-record snow will last. At this point, however, it's definitely Spring in the Western U.S. . I must say that this kind of Spring suits me a lot better than the hot and humid imitation that is so commonly touted in the East.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:47 AM

27,979 posts, read 14,205,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I must say that this kind of Spring suits me a lot better than the hot and humid imitation that is so commonly touted in the East.
I know your definition of humid is a bit broader than mine, but I don't think spring gets much in the way of humidity even for your standards except for short interludes. At least here, and mostly true for NYC / Long Island as well. The hottest days of the spring (and the majority by a large margin) we get all tend to get lowish dew points (< 55F). One must wait till summer for the hot + humid combination.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 AM

Part of what I was talking about is that in the Eastern U.S. in Canada "Spring-like weather" is touted by the heat-mongers when it's hot and humid. Heat and humidity of the type that's common in severe thunderstorm outbreaks is peddled as "spring-like" by the media.

That said, Spring in your location doesn't average humid, but even in Southeastern Canada there are humid periods that occur, and this is true of most of the Eastern U.S. as well.

The Southeast is of course quite humid, with the entirety of the region being well within the 50F dew point line in May. It stretches as far north as Indianapolis to Philadelphia, and my trusty dew point maps show a standard deviation of about 9F for the region. So there is plenty of humidity to go around even in the more marginal regions. All of the Deep South averages 60F or more for dew points, and 70F dew points are often seen in April and May there. 60F dew points are often seen as far north as the places in the East that average a dew point of 50F in May.

One of my points is that when it does get humid and warm/hot, "Spring-like" is the byword that is used, whereas when it turns cooler and drier they say "back to winter" or some such, claiming that isn't Spring-like.

In your location you escape all that, with your dew points averaging in the mid 40's this time of year. Standard deviation is about 9F, so the highest dews typically seen would fall just short of 60F, with more humid conditions occurring in "short interludes". NYC is pushing the boundary more than your location, but there is a huge bubble of often-occurring humidity that exists in the East in April and May. The East is a lot more than New England - there is a huge land area east of the High Plains that gets more humidity than Massachusetts gets this time of year.

In any case it can't compare to the Western norm of dews well below 40F and more frequent spring snowfalls.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Part of what I was talking about is that in the Eastern U.S. in Canada "Spring-like weather" is touted by the heat-mongers when it's hot and humid. Heat and humidity of the type that's common in severe thunderstorm outbreaks is peddled as "spring-like" by the media.
I suspect you live in very different place from me. Anywhere I've lived (Long Island, Upstate NY and Massachusetts) that weather would be described as "summer". Doubt that would true in Canada.

Quote:
The East is a lot more than New England - there is a huge land area east of the High Plains that gets more humidity than Massachusetts gets this time of year.
True, but I think much of what you said applies more to the South a specific region rather than the East in region. Anything south of say Pennsylvania is either in the south or very close to the south. Also, once we look at the second half of May we are getting towards to the edge of spring conditions; weather patterns are starting to transition to more of a summer patten (going not just by temperature but temperature fluctuations and rainfall/jetstream patterns). Look at mid-spring, say April DC is well below an average of 50F dewpoint (2012 averaged 38F, 2011 averaged 46F).

Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I suspect you live in very different place from me.
Or perhaps we're just listening to different outlets of information . Or maybe we could chalk it up to the difference between the interior East and the East Coast .

Quote:
True, but I think much of what you said applies more to the South a specific region rather than the East in region. Anything south of say Pennsylvania is either in the south or very close to the south.
Perhaps that is true, and most of that region is in what could be considered "the south". However, I think considering the midsections of Indiana and Illinois to be in the South or very close is a stretch. It is also not uncommon for this sort of weather to stretch into places like Chicago and the entirety of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. That is why the humid area has a more "Eastern" than "Southern" appearance to me.

That, plus when there is a big outbreak of humidity in springtime the current dew point maps usually feature a plume of humidity in the East stretching in a more north-south direction than an east-west direction, though average maps will obviously feature east-west orientation.

As to May being more part of summer than spring in "the East", that is one of the primary reasons I initially labeled the cooler/drier/snowier Western version of Spring as being superior.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Big Trough coming to the NorthWest.. How about a little Mt. Rainier 7 day forecast for end of May?

You eyes are not playing tricks on you... that says 2-4 Feet of snow to fall this week. 7-11 inches today alone.

Who else wishes they were up there? lol

Snow levels to drop all the way to 4000-5000 feet but obviously not as much accumulations.
7-Day Forecast for Latitude 46.87N and Longitude 121.75W (Elev. 12330 ft)

Here's a webcam shot from this morning. A ton of snow has melted. I'll try to get a comparison in a few days. But this is at the lower elevation so I'm not expecting to see a drastic difference.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM

So which 3 day forecast do you prefer for end of May? LOL

Day high of -2 at the Summit tomorrow.

SUMMIT (14411 FT)
CAMP MUIR(10188 FT)
PARADISE (5420 FT)
LONGMIRE (2700 FT)

Turns All Year Mountain Weather Browser for backcountry skiing

Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So which 3 day forecast do you prefer for end of May? LOL
None. But Longmire if I had to choose.

You find the photos of this climb interesting:

Mount Index Spring 2012 : Trip Reports : SummitPost

Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
None. But Longmire if I had to choose.

You find the photos of this climb interesting:

Mount Index Spring 2012 : Trip Reports : SummitPost
So sweet... and whats make it even better... Untouched snow trails. I love reading hiking stories(especially with pictures!)

Favorite lines.

" Crossing a couple snow gullys we left the road bed and started our ascent up sometimes 50 degree slopes taking turns breaking trail through the 12 inches of fresh snow. The going was slow with full packs in the light falling snow and dense fog."

"4:30 came quick under clear skies and crisp air, we made a quick breakfast and hurried on to the saddle."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather