Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times

Advertisements

North Cascades Highway in Washington State finally being cleared =)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Opened today. 15 days earlier than last year.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:22 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Record Low temps in the NorthWest.

May 10, 2012

May 11, 2012

Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 AM

Yes folks, people do live in the mountains. Late season snow for mountains, rain for Denver

DENVER - After an unusually warm, dry day Thursday, a fast-moving cold front brought a dramatic change to the weather Friday and the Colorado weather forecast shows this cool, wet weather trend will continue into the weekend.

9NEWS Chief Meteorologist Kathy Sabine says under cloudy skies on Friday, temperatures held in the mid 40s with scattered showers reported off and on for much of the day.

The snow level is hovering around 8,000 feet with an inch of snow on the ground around Evergreen and Conifer.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY is posted for the southern mountains, including the Sangre de Cristo Range. Mt. Elbert, Mt. Massive, Independence Pass and Climax. The advisory includes the possibility of 2 to 5 inches of snow.

If you are travelling into the high country, expect rain and snow showers with slushy roadways and cooler than average temperatures in the 30s and 40s.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 AM

Winter Weather Advisory for counties in Colorado Until tomorrow evening: Alamosa, Chaffee, Costilla, Custer, El Paso, Fremont, Huerfano, Lake, Las Animas, Saguache, & Teller

249 AM MDT SAT MAY 12 2012

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM MDT SUNDAY.

* CAUSE AND TIMING...A COUPLE OF PACIFIC WEATHER SYSTEMS WILL
TRACK EAST ACROSS THE AREA THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...GENERALLY 5 TO 10 INCHES...BUT LOCALLY
HIGHER SNOW MOUNTS IN EXCESS OF A FOOT WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS
THE HIGHEST PEAKS

Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

This season isn't going to be like last year. Look at this forecast at 5000 ft on the slope of Mt Rainier!

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 46.78°N and Longitude 121.73°W (Elev. 5150 ft)

Looks like midsummer. Snow might melt quickly. Daytime freezing level looks like it's above 12000 feet.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This season isn't going to be like last year. Look at this forecast at 5000 ft on the slope of Mt Rainier!

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 46.78°N and Longitude 121.73°W (Elev. 5150 ft)

Looks like midsummer. Snow might melt quickly. Daytime freezing level looks like it's above 12000 feet.
Curious why you keep comparing to last year. I like to know the thoughts on that. Some (maybe most) places got above average snows out there this year but I'm more interested in how long cold and snow will keep reappearing at any level. Yes, last year was interesting when I followed it but it was extreme. Definetly winding down now.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Curious why you keep comparing to last year. I like to know the thoughts on that. Some (maybe most) places got above average snows out there this year but I'm more interested in how long cold and snow will keep reappearing at any level. Yes, last year was interesting when I followed it but it was extreme. Definetly winding down now.
Because I was in the Pacific Northwest last summer and late spring (only time I've been), wanted to go hiking but there was snow when I didn't want any.

I'm curious how quickly it will melt, especially compared to last year, since it is still above average. I expect cold and snow in the mountains in the spring, I find it more interesting when there isn't cold and snow up there. Right now they are getting summer-like temps. Last spring it was unusually cool and damp.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Also at first in the beginning of the thread I thought you were trying to say it was especially snowy this spring in the West when there was a previous year equal or more severe. Didn't realize you were familiar with how extreme last year was. I guess I don't find it all that special to hear reports of cold and snow in mountains in the spring. I'm familiar with them that I don't expect much else.

Since you like off-season snow, maybe you'll like these photos I took last year:

Forest Service Road, Southern Washington Cascades July 14

Obstruction Point Road, Olympic National Park July 19

Hurricane Ridge Road, Olympic National Park July 19

Mt. Slesse trail, British Columbia July 30

Thorton Lake, North Cascades August 15

From Trappers Peak, North Cascades August 15

The snow looks rather stale and not that deep, but still impressive for the time of year. If it were deeper I wouldn't have been there! Hope it's not too off-topic.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:01 AM

Awesome friggin pictures. Consider yourself blessed for being there and able to enjoy Earths landscape snow or not.

Here's a picture Rocky Mountain National park posted. They sound suprised its snowing in May. Maybe that spot doesnt usually see it?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather