U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2012, 02:24 AM

933 posts, read 844,283 times
Default Was USA really that warm this winter?

As the winter of 2012 is closing on us, I want to put an end to the debate about the exaggerated warmth in North America during this period, in USA specifically. All temperatures are given in Fahrenheit.

Coldest inhabited towns, not just any weather stations, from Jan-March of 2012, so far

January: Tanana, AK: with an average high of -21 and low of -43
History : Weather Underground
-Also Galena, AK shares the same mean, but the high was -23 and low was -41

February: *Nuisquit, AK: with an average high of -9 and low of -21

March: *Nuisquit, AK: with an average high (so far) -28, and low of -41

*Could also be Umiat, which is near, but further inland than Nuisquit. Nuisquit being a coastal town means that it should not bottom out on the cold scale. Unfortunately, wunderground.com does not keep records for Umiat, as it is in close proximity to Nuisquit.

Warmest
Can someone who is a warm-weather buff complete this section for me

My guess would be Miami, FL for all three months

Let's compare the coldest and warmest place in US this winter to see how big the difference is! And whether China or Russia can even come to close rivaling US for continentality

....feel free to chime in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 AM

5,006 posts, read 2,508,945 times
It would be somewhat interesting to compare the coldest and warmest stations - I don't have stats myself. I would also say that the warmth of North America hasn't been exaggerated, or has only been exaggerated in a particular way. While this past winter was warm across most of the U.S. and Canada, excluding the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, the warmth hasn't been exceptional by a long shot. Although there was never a blowtorch pattern across the continent, as is typical for the warmer winters, the "ordinary" warmth persisted for the entire duration of the winter, with no flip to cold of any significance. In addition, the only extraordinary aspect of the winter of 2012 is not so much the presence of heat, but the lack, and in most cases absence, of cold and snow. It was a winter without a blowtorch pattern, but extremely lacking in cold and snow. Of course in Alaska, and to a lesser extent the Pacific Northwest, it's been more extreme than the Eastern U.S., but on the opposite end - cold and snow. On a broader note the Northern Hemisphere as a whole had a winter that was quite cold - North America was the only hot spot, and was the victim of some of the most rotten luck I've ever encountered. If this cold northern hemisphere pattern persists for a long time (the JMA monthlies which nailed last year are showing cold persisting and intensifying through next autumn for the whole NH, including the U.S.), then chances are us Laurentians will get the good stuff at some point .

Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 AM

4,445 posts, read 4,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
As the winter of 2012 is closing on us, I want to put an end to the debate about the exaggerated warmth in North America during this period, in USA specifically. All temperatures are given in Fahrenheit.

Coldest inhabited towns, not just any weather stations, from Jan-March of 2012, so far

January: Tanana, AK: with an average high of -21 and low of -43
-Also Galena, AK shares the same mean, but the high was -23 and low was -41

February: *Nuisquit, AK: with an average high of -9 and low of -21

March: *Nuisquit, AK: with an average high (so far) -28, and low of -41

*Could also be Umiat, which is near, but further inland than Nuisquit. Nuisquit being a coastal town means that it should not bottom out on the cold scale. Unfortunately, wunderground.com does not keep records for Umiat, as it is in close proximity to Nuisquit.

Warmest
Can someone who is a warm-weather buff complete this section for me

My guess would be Miami, FL for all three months

Let's compare the coldest and warmest place in US this winter to see how big the difference is! And whether China or Russia can even come to close rivaling US for continentality

....feel free to chime in...

I didn't get to check most of the NWS stations on the USA mainland - but this was a record breaking winter in the largest city in North America. You might find this interesting:

National Weather Service Forecast Office - Upton, NY

Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 AM

Although it was a bottom-of-the-barrel winter, the record-breaking is overhyped. None of those stations except Bridgeport broke any records for averages and snowfall, even if some others came close.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 AM

Is North America really the warmest spot in the Northern Hemisphere at this time of the year? I disagree, look at this map, which is updated daily. As of today, a huge chunk of North America is colder than Russian Siberia. And look closely, the same blowtorch pattern is happening in Eastern China, along similar latitudes as the one in North America

Last edited by Kaul; 03-22-2012 at 05:32 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 AM

double

Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 AM

18,207 posts, read 8,181,633 times
Look at the current position of the jet stream. Everywhere south of it is warm. I imagine the jet stream was stalled near the Canadian border in February, since where I live it is dependent on the jet stream to see how cold or warm it gets. That's why some weeks are above average, some weeks below average. What I heard was that Alaska, northern Canada, and the Arctic have had a record setting cold winter with the largest sea ice extent in years

Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Is North America really the warmest spot in the Northern Hemisphere at this time of the year? I disagree, look at this map, which is updated daily. As of today, a huge chunk of North America is colder than Russian Siberia. And look closely, the same blowtorch pattern is happening in Eastern China, along similar latitudes as the one in North America
1. I was referring to December-February (Winter), not the present time (of course North America's in a blowtorch pattern now).

2. My reference to "North America" was partially a colloquialism, and included the U.S. and Canada east of the Rockies, plus the southern U.S. west of the Rockies, and excluding Alaska, the Yukon, and northern Canada. And again, I'm talking about the winter (DJF), not the present time.

3. My reference to warmth referred to departures from normal, not the actual air temperature, and again, the departures from normal through the Winter, not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather