Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,425 times

Advertisements

I think that largely depends on what one considers a summer and on prevailing large scale atmospheric circulation patterns.

For us in The Pacific Northwest (and in Canada's Pacific Southwest) the ocean is our major climate driver - at least up to the Cascades and B.C's Coast Range. Water temperatures play a huge role, not only in our summer temperatures but in our overall warmth relative to long term averages.

We are entering a phase where the water temperatures off our coast are up to 3.5 (2) degrees cooler than normal and will remain anywhere from slightly to very much cooler than average regardless of what phase of ENSO we're in. This temperature drop doesn't seem like much but the ocean is a great heat sink/source and therefore the effect is huge. Additionally this cool-water phase we are in is predicted by some climatologists to last for up to 25 more years so for us, the prospects for hot summer like conditions (even by our not-so-high standards) are pretty bleak and will remain so for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times
The OP you fail as a comic, being funny isn't your forte I guess. How can you say that where you live, in Philly, has ever skipped a summer? What I find to be most disturbing is your grandiose assertion that Philly doesn't always have good summers, especially when the climatic averages suggest otherwise.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
What I find to be most disturbing is your grandiose assertion that Philly doesn't always have good summers, especially when the climatic averages suggest otherwise.
Philadelphia is always well into summer territory; whether they're "good" or not is a matter of opinion. For me no summer is a good summer; more specifically a mild summer (60's/40's Fahrenheit) that more resembles spring vegetation-wise.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:35 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
I guess it depends on your definition, but in our region (PA/NJ) we virtually never skip summer. Even 2009 still had average highs in the upper 70s to lower 80s...well within "summer territory". However, if you define winter as a season with at least decent snowfall and stretches of snowcover, then it's far easier to skip winter in these parts.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
To the OP: how long have you lived in this area? Can you please identify for me the last summer we skipped? As I have shown, 2009 was more cloudy than cool. And not every month was below normal. How bout before that? I don't ever remember a summer here where avg highs were not in the 80's in both July and August.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:55 AM

From what I've read from New York, 1967 was a standout year for cooler than normal temperatures there. So perhaps you could look at 1967 for the Mod-Atlantic . I can't say anything about the below-80 criterion, since I don't have that much familiarity with that area. I'm sure even the coolest summer since records began averaged at least in the mid 70's Fahrenheit.

2009, although below normal temperature-wise, certainly wasn't anywhere near what I'd say is cool or even mild. However, it certainly was wet and stormy, and that was one the hallmarks for that summer across a wide swath of the States.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
From what I've read from New York, 1967 was a standout year for cooler than normal temperatures there. So perhaps you could look at 1967 for the Mod-Atlantic . I can't say anything about the below-80 criterion, since I don't have that much familiarity with that area. I'm sure even the coolest summer since records began averaged at least in the mid 70's Fahrenheit.

2009, although below normal temperature-wise, certainly wasn't anywhere near what I'd say is cool or even mild. However, it certainly was wet and stormy, and that was one the hallmarks for that summer across a wide swath of the States.
Spring 1967 (especially March and May) were quite cool in my area, but the summer looked close to average. Funny that you mention that year, because I notice a lot of still-standing records.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

2009 made the list of top 10 coolest June and July for New York. July averaged 72.7°F, June 67.5°F, though isn't really a peak summer month. So, yes 2009 was exceptionally cool. 1967 didn't make the list.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM

Then it appears that the "rumors" were incorrect. Were those still-standing records for spring cool spells or summer cool spells? I'm inclined to think you meant the former, but you leave it unclear. Just curious: was 1967 wet instead of cool? In Northeastern circles wetness is often used as a metric for heat-lovers' measure of summer lousiness, instead of how cool the temperature is. We have yet to get any figures on summers prior to 2009 that could have been cooler across the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. So if anyone has stats on their particular location, I'd like to see the timing and figures for your record coolest summers.

Also I'd like to clarify that I was referring to high temperatures, not daily means. A daily mean above 72F qualifying for a top 10 coolest Julys is a joke when it comes to notions of skipping summer. Likely Southeast Pennsylvania's top 10s are even less cool.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 AM

I was referring to spring. The all-time record low for March (-10 F) was in 1967. May 1967 was very cool, but it looks like May 1966 has more record lows (but it wasn't as cool on average as May 1967).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather