Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,042 times

Advertisements

cold weather is definitely better than hot weather in the spring. In fact, cold weather is always better than hot weather any time of the year, as agreed by the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
cold weather is definitely better than hot weather in the spring. In fact, cold weather is always better than hot weather any time of the year, as agreed by the majority.
You never cease to amaze me . What the majority think is irrelevant, as weather preferences are clearly subjective and personal. However, I agree with your first sentence - cold weather is better anytime than hot weather .

Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,188,844 times
If weather preferences are personal and objective how is true that cold weather
is always better than hot weather?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatier View Post
If weather preferences are personal and objective how is true that cold weather
is always better than hot weather?
It is better for me. That is respecting subjectivity; what is good for me may not be good for you.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'd find a 30C in January more depressing then a 15C day in July

lol, im with you on that. I even find a 24 c day in July (winter here) way more intolerable that even.....5 celsius in January, lol!!

I love the unexpected cold. This happened to us last week, just right after summer ended, we had like 3 days of really cold weather (really cold for march standard in BA, wich is a hot month) with temps around 7/15 celsius, those here are actually WINTER temps. We went for using flip flops and skirts and shorts one day (average high in march is of 27 celsius) to have a wind chill from antartica and maximim temp of 14 celsius the other day, lol, with morning temps of 7 celsius!!! It was quite amazing, actually, i LOVED it, even when i got a minor cold for going out in summer clothes the coldest day of the cold spell and ending up with a sore throat, lol. To just feel the cold sensation was just so awesome, i was missing it!
Of course that cold spell last like two days and its now over and we are back to warm temps but feeling the COLD between warm/hot weather felt AWESOME, while everytime this same thing happens in winter (warm/hot temperatures in winter) i HATE IT.
I wonder why that is, lol.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I love the unexpected cold. This happened to us last week, just right after summer ended, we had like 3 days of really cold weather (really cold for march standard in BA, wich is a hot month) with temps around 7/15 celsius, those here are actually WINTER temps. We went for using flip flops and skirts and shorts one day (average high in march is of 27 celsius) to have a wind chill from antartica and maximim temp of 14 celsius the other day, lol, with morning temps of 7 celsius!!! It was quite amazing, actually, i LOVED it, even when i got a minor cold for going out in summer clothes the coldest day of the cold spell and ending up with a sore throat, lol. To just feel the cold sensation was just so awesome, i was missing it!
Of course that cold spell last like two days and its now over and we are back to warm temps but feeling the COLD between warm/hot weather felt AWESOME, while everytime this same thing happens in winter (warm/hot temperatures in winter) i HATE IT.
I wonder why that is, lol.
I feel the same way myself. Unexpected cold overshooting expectations, especially record or extreme cold, is always awesome to get. For any cold to happen it's always great for me, but unexpected record cold is even better. In between hot weather I imagine it's a much more intense sensation, but I have little experience with those sort of situations.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 AM

775 posts, read 1,169,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
On an early spring day that is chillier than most of the winter was, it has be thinking about this. I don't particularly enjoy cold weather in the winter, but i can usually tolerate it to some extent. But i HATE when it gets cold in the spring and summer. An occasional cool, rainy day after a heat wave can be nice and refreshing, but i don't like getting into long patterns of chilly, rainy weather in times of the year that it should be warm. In PA we usually get some chilly weather in April and May, and occasionally even into early June (2009 for example).

Does anyone agree that cold weather is more depressing when it is unseasonable?
It depends. If the season wasn't great to begin with and suddenly you get a long run of below-normal temperatures and overcast days, then, yes it is pretty depressing. Like last summer here, for example (and pretty much every other summer! )

If on the other hand the cold spells occurs just after a long heatwave, in that case it would be a welcome relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Absolutely.

Cold weather sucks at anytime of the year IMO, but the closest to summer, the worse it is.

I was once in London in July; a cold front crossed the city in the afternoon, temp got down to 14-15°C with rain. In July. Absolutely intolerable.

Edit : oddly, that happened in Nice on July 19, 2011 as well. We like NEVER get any afternoon temps below 20°C at that time of the year, nor do we get heavy rain (or rain at all); yet on that day we got both, with temps plummeting to 16°C at 1pm ! I remember that day particularly well because a friend of mine from Calgary arrived at that precise moment to visit me; I had told him beforehand about the endlessly sunny and warm July weather in Nice...yet what he experienced on arrival was closer to a summer afternoon in Juneau
I'm glad you survived your London "summer" ordeal. Last summer we had plenty of below 20C days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather