U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Laurentia
5,117 posts, read 2,853,772 times
Reputation: 1841

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
This might get skewed on –line however. Perhaps because people who tend to like cold/snowy weather are inside much more often, and of course people who don’t like such weather (but who live in climates that might experience such weather), tend to be insdie on their computer even more often. On the other hand, people who like warm/sunny/mild weather, or live in warm/sunny climates… tend to be outside more often, as they are often engaged in outdoor actives. I've noticed when I moved to the Middle Atlantic states, I was on-line far more from December through March, than from April through November.
Yeah...tell that to all the skiers, snow fort builders, polar bear swimmers, and the entirety of the population of the Upper Midwest, who are out all the time during winter. People tend to stay inside more when outdoor conditions aren't suitable for them, or when they have no reason to go outside. It stands to reason that cold-lovers would be outside in winter more often in summer, so your hypothesis is invalid. Consider that the Mid-Atlantic doesn't get much cold or snow during wintertime, and that those sort of conditions, similar to breakup in continental climates, aren't conducive for anyone to have outdoor activities. Your experience also only represents one portion of the human race that is like yourself. It is my experience that people in the Sun Belt don't spend more time outside; if anything it's less. Most of the time a lot of them are inside under air conditioning because it's too hot, and the native residents often get bored of the beach attractions and the like, so they stay inside. This seems to be a real trend as there a lot of people in the Deep South that get winter S.A.D. during summertime because they are inside so much.

Probably the only reason you saw more warmth-lovers outside in the Mid Atlantic is because they're the only group that experiences suitable weather for their activities in that climate. Want to build a snowman? You're out of luck in that place most of the year (or even most of the winter!). Move to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and you'll see a vastly different lifestyle.

I don't think there is any outdoor-activity-caused deficit, and the proportions on this forum roughly line up to the proportions I've encountered in daily life.

Also, I haven't noticed any Sun Belt deficit of posters. There are two that immediately come to mind (Nivalis, Lamplight), and they recently migrated north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
To be quite honest, I really don't care what the majority like or what the majority do.
I don't, either, and I do not really partake in the high-stakes version of that whole discussion, as if what the majority think must be valid. What most people think, do, or prefer is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,793 posts, read 1,358,151 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The proportion of cold weather to hot weather fans seems to be pretty even to me, and polls bear this rough balance out in their results. Dhdh's graph is the ultimate proof of the proportions here, and I can vouch for its validity since I conspired in making some of the charts in that thread. There's plenty of both on this forum, with of course a proportion of mild weather lovers as well as people who like four seasons not biased towards a particular season.

As for it being disproportionate among the general public, the only thing disproportionate is the heat-and-sun-promoter dominance of the media. Also the loudmouths in the general public are dominated by heat-lovers, because Western culture glorifies it and this affects public displays, encouraging heat promotion and discouraging cold promotion. I can't speak for anywhere else, but in my region when one gets deeper than small talk and down to what a given person really likes, the proportion is roughly similar to this forum, or at least there are plenty of all stripes that I have encountered.

As for cold lovers being more heat haters this is often the case. However, it's also often the case with heat lovers - a lot of them are primarily cold haters . Even a fan of mild weather can be more driven by hating heat and cold than actually loving mild weather. Of course on all sides there are people who genuinely like their side of the spectrum, and there's also a lot of overlap, seeing as if you really like cold you're probably not built well for heat. I fall into this category myself, loving cold and hating heat.

In reference to the temperature poll, I did some work on that, and while 70's did obtain a plurality of votes, there were some interesting results. The hotter temperatures had a rapid drop off whereas the colder temperatures had a much more gradual drop-off (in fact there was a slight uptick in the subzero category, strangely enough). The median for all of the results was not in the 70's, it was in the mid 60's. This is more in keeping with the notion that the stereotypical "nice day" has a high around 70, but what often isn't told is that these days usually have a low of at most 55. This yields a daily mean in the low to mid 60's, which is more like the temperature for most of the "nice day". In case you didn't know one could select multiple options in the poll, so a given result isn't an absolute favorite temperature over everything else, but I think it's more accurate that way.

I think 60's and 70's did well because this is the temperature preferred by the mild climate lovers, and because this is often at the top of the range for cold lovers, and the bottom of the range for heat lovers. So it's more of an overlap at the edge of the range than anything else. Most people at least for part of the year would think some other conditions are better (and if you don't believe me, just look at all the heat lovers that want 80+ highs for summer).

As for my favorite season it's winter, hands-down . I despise summer, and don't like autumn either, because of summer's leftover garbage, i.e. those rotting leaves. Autumn weather is good, even if most of the United States is too hot to get much of it until "winter" . I used to like spring as a second to winter, but over the last few years I've developed a real dislike of it. I mainly despise the kind of Spring the vast majority of the U.S. and some of Canada gets, which is blooming and sprouting too early, not enough cold weather, not enough snow and cold rain, and just too hot all-around. If I had my version of Spring, which would occur more in the month of May, I'd kind of like it, but overall my opinion of it has soured.
That is how i am. I don't actually like the heat, i just hate being cold. I would prefer it to be comfortably warm rather than extreme either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Valdez, Alaska
2,758 posts, read 2,390,201 times
Reputation: 2661
I think I'm more a heat hater than a cold lover, even though I tolerate temps in the 20s-30s just fine, and can wear a t-shirt comfortably at around 40F and sometimes lower. I'm a snow lover though, and of course you have to have below-freezing temps for that, but not extreme cold. So I'm happy in a place with (lots of) snow for half the year but that has a moderated maritime climate. And I'm extra happy that the rest of the year is cool/warm and never gets hot (75F+). Either cold winters with little to no snow or hot summers would be bad for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 12:27 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
10,734 posts, read 5,989,159 times
Reputation: 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Agreed, I have met few people in real life who would rather have a cold, overcast, blustery day…than a warm, sunny, and nice day.

This might get skewed on –line however. Perhaps because people who tend to like cold/snowy weather are inside much more often, and of course people who don’t like such weather (but who live in climates that might experience such weather), tend to be insdie on their computer even more often. On the other hand, people who like warm/sunny/mild weather, or live in warm/sunny climates… tend to be outside more often, as they are often engaged in outdoor actives. I've noticed when I moved to the Middle Atlantic states, I was on-line far more from December through March, than from April through November.

Although there are a wide range of locations of posters - one can’t help but notice there seems to be a geography to where posters are from…and a dearth of where posters are not from. Where are all the posters from southern Asia, much of Africa, the Middle East, the Caribbean, the southern USA sunbelt, Hawaii , the warmer parts Australia, much of subtropical/tropical South American, …etc. Millions live in these regions, why are they not posting as often as those from England, Canada, the northern USA ...etc? Perhaps they are all “outside”.
Well this forum is American and English (language) based. Not to mention there are tons of posters from the southern US that post on other forums.

It's also possible to spend part of the day on the computer and part of it outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Laurentia
5,117 posts, read 2,853,772 times
Reputation: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
So I'm happy in a place with (lots of) snow for half the year but that has a moderated maritime climate. And I'm extra happy that the rest of the year is cool/warm and never gets hot (75F+). Either cold winters with little to no snow or hot summers would be bad for me.
It reads like the place you live now .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM
 
4,859 posts, read 5,219,972 times
Reputation: 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Agreed, I have met few people in real life who would rather have a cold, overcast, blustery day…than a warm, sunny, and nice day.

This might get skewed on –line however. Perhaps because people who tend to like cold/snowy weather are inside much more often, and of course people who don’t like such weather (but who live in climates that might experience such weather), tend to be insdie on their computer even more often. On the other hand, people who like warm/sunny/mild weather, or live in warm/sunny climates… tend to be outside more often, as they are often engaged in outdoor actives. I've noticed when I moved to the Middle Atlantic states, I was on-line far more from December through March, than from April through November.

Although there are a wide range of locations of posters - one can’t help but notice there seems to be a geography to where posters are from…and a dearth of where posters are not from. Where are all the posters from southern Asia, much of Africa, the Middle East, the Caribbean, the southern USA sunbelt, Hawaii , the warmer parts Australia, much of subtropical/tropical South American, …etc. Millions live in these regions, why are they not posting as often as those from England, Canada, the northern USA ...etc? Perhaps they are all “outside”.
Overly generalizing people just because of their weather preferences is unnecessary and can even be offensive to an individual. It can also be misleading from actual reality and can even oppress and limit natural variety of the weather preferences people have.

Also, there are still plenty of people that would find cold, cloudy, blustery/windy weather to be nice, normal, pleasant, and refreshing at least sometimes in the year(and for some of these people even year round/most of the year.)

Personally, I can enjoy that weather for around 2 to 5 months of the year sometimes and I also like warm/hot sunny weather too in the summer.

You seem to forget a significant percentage of the population includes plenty of people that enjoy 4 seasons weather and strategic timing in the year for how the weather unfolds.

It is not just about someone liking only warm/sunny all the time or cold/cloudy all the time.

Related to the indoors/outdoors concept, there are winter recreation activities that involves going outside for it.

Plenty of people still go outside and inside for activities regardless if the weather is warm, mild, cold, sunny, cloudy, rainy, snowy, breezy etc.

The weather forum seems to have posters evenly distributed in all types of climate zones for where they live, so I don't think it is disproportionate.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-01-2012 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
14,928 posts, read 8,923,013 times
Reputation: 5762
^ Good post, I'd rep you but I have to share it around first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
10,734 posts, read 5,989,159 times
Reputation: 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Overly generalizing people just because of their weather preferences is unnecessary and can even be offensive to an individual. It can also be misleading from actual reality and can even oppress and limit natural variety of the weather preferences people have.

Also, there are still plenty of people that would find cold, cloudy, blustery/windy weather to be nice, normal, pleasant, and refreshing at least sometimes in the year(and for some of these people even year round/most of the year.)

Personally, I can enjoy that weather for around 2 to 5 months of the year sometimes and I also like warm/hot sunny weather too in the summer.

You seem to forget a significant percentage of the population includes plenty of people that enjoy 4 seasons weather and strategic timing in the year for how the weather unfolds.

It is not just about someone liking only warm/sunny all the time or cold/cloudy all the time.

Related to the indoors/outdoors concept, there are winter recreation activities that involves going outside for it.

Plenty of people still go outside and inside for activities regardless of whether the weather is warm, mild, cold, sunny, cloudy, rainy, snowy, breezy etc.

The weather forum seems to have posters evenly distributed in all types of climate zones for where they live, so I don't think it is disproportionate.
Excellent post.

We should also keep in mind that part of the reason people are outside more during the summer, at least in the US, is because schools are usually closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,607,754 times
Reputation: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
As shown by the following thread, this is wrong.



Among those who answered, 17 persons prefer winter temps to be above freezing (>0°C i.e. -3 on the scale) while 10 do not.

Similarly, 16 prefer hot summers according to Koppen's definition (>22°C i.e. -1 on the scale) while 11 like it cooler than that.

Either way, a majority of people here (around 60%) prefer mild winters to icy winters and hot summers to cool summers.

(If you don't know how to read the scale : Let's try an experiment...)


Kaul, do you have any statistical evidence to prove your point or you're just transforming your own beliefs into universal truths and tastes, as usual?
I'd like to see where I am on that chart.
Winter +10
Summer +9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,607,754 times
Reputation: 3250
Default I love winter too!...

If it's in the deep tropics.

The tropical dry season is superb, in a place where lows usually stay at 21+ C/70+ F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top