Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:55 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,919 times

Advertisements

A while back there was a poll on temps people preferred and while there was a more majority of cold over heat, I believe the 70°F temperature range won out suggesting most people liked tranquil or was the overall temp range agreed most by heat and cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I love all four seasons. Each of them has it's own particular beauty. I love the spring when the monotones of the winter are beginning to turn ever day a little greener. Little plants start sprouting all over the place and flowers start appearing. The birds come back and are acting really happy to be here.

I love the summer with those long warm days. When it does not get dark till after 10 pm. I love the smell of the fresh mowed hay fields. I love the warm rain storms and I actually walk aound in the pouring rain sometimes, it makes me feel very alive, I just always hope I don't get hit by lightning.

I love the fall, the colours and the smells that are uniquely fall in their characters. I get a thrill watching the huge flocks of birds getting ready for their long flight south. I enjoy the harvest time with all the crops coming in and all the produce ready to be eaten at big family gatherings. There is something about the year winding down once again that gives me peace and restfullness.

I love the winter because for me it's always been a time of renewal and rest. I always worked hard from March till December and then I was done my labour for the year. I love the feeling of being snowed in knowing I'm all prepared and cozy in my own little nest. I love walking with my dogs into the face of a raging blizzard and fell the power and majesty of nature at her best. I love waking up to a sunny day when freezing mist has covered everything and the world looks like it's covered in diamonds, it sparkles so bright it hurts to look at it.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:58 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
I like winter because I like to ski, and it's also when some of the best surf is around. Frost is fine, as a fine day follows. Other than that, I like my weather on the warmer side, and would never choose to live in a place that gets snow.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:26 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Lots of fans of big-time cold weather on this site! I have noticed that people here have a very low heat tolerance and a very high cold tolerance. People who post on this board tend to love winter and hate summer a lot more than the average person. It is disproportionate to the overall population. I think the average person likes spring and fall weather, but on this site, a lot of people can't get enough cold and snow! Just an interesting observation.
As shown by the following thread, this is wrong.

Among those who answered, 17 persons prefer winter temps to be above freezing (>0°C i.e. -3 on the scale) while 10 do not.

Similarly, 16 prefer hot summers according to Koppen's definition (>22°C i.e. -1 on the scale) while 11 like it cooler than that.

Either way, a majority of people here (around 60%) prefer mild winters to icy winters and hot summers to cool summers.

(If you don't know how to read the scale : Let's try an experiment...)

Kaul, do you have any statistical evidence to prove your point or you're just transforming your own beliefs into universal truths and tastes, as usual?

Last edited by dhdh; 04-01-2012 at 03:48 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
The proportion of cold weather to hot weather fans seems to be pretty even to me, and polls bear this rough balance out in their results. Dhdh's graph is the ultimate proof of the proportions here, and I can vouch for its validity since I conspired in making some of the charts in that thread. There's plenty of both on this forum, with of course a proportion of mild weather lovers as well as people who like four seasons not biased towards a particular season.

As for it being disproportionate among the general public, the only thing disproportionate is the heat-and-sun-promoter dominance of the media. Also the loudmouths in the general public are dominated by heat-lovers, because Western culture glorifies it and this affects public displays, encouraging heat promotion and discouraging cold promotion. I can't speak for anywhere else, but in my region when one gets deeper than small talk and down to what a given person really likes, the proportion is roughly similar to this forum, or at least there are plenty of all stripes that I have encountered.

As for cold lovers being more heat haters this is often the case. However, it's also often the case with heat lovers - a lot of them are primarily cold haters . Even a fan of mild weather can be more driven by hating heat and cold than actually loving mild weather. Of course on all sides there are people who genuinely like their side of the spectrum, and there's also a lot of overlap, seeing as if you really like cold you're probably not built well for heat. I fall into this category myself, loving cold and hating heat.

In reference to the temperature poll, I did some work on that, and while 70's did obtain a plurality of votes, there were some interesting results. The hotter temperatures had a rapid drop off whereas the colder temperatures had a much more gradual drop-off (in fact there was a slight uptick in the subzero category, strangely enough). The median for all of the results was not in the 70's, it was in the mid 60's. This is more in keeping with the notion that the stereotypical "nice day" has a high around 70, but what often isn't told is that these days usually have a low of at most 55. This yields a daily mean in the low to mid 60's, which is more like the temperature for most of the "nice day". In case you didn't know one could select multiple options in the poll, so a given result isn't an absolute favorite temperature over everything else, but I think it's more accurate that way.

I think 60's and 70's did well because this is the temperature preferred by the mild climate lovers, and because this is often at the top of the range for cold lovers, and the bottom of the range for heat lovers. So it's more of an overlap at the edge of the range than anything else. Most people at least for part of the year would think some other conditions are better (and if you don't believe me, just look at all the heat lovers that want 80+ highs for summer).

As for my favorite season it's winter, hands-down . I despise summer, and don't like autumn either, because of summer's leftover garbage, i.e. those rotting leaves. Autumn weather is good, even if most of the United States is too hot to get much of it until "winter" . I used to like spring as a second to winter, but over the last few years I've developed a real dislike of it. I mainly despise the kind of Spring the vast majority of the U.S. and some of Canada gets, which is blooming and sprouting too early, not enough cold weather, not enough snow and cold rain, and just too hot all-around. If I had my version of Spring, which would occur more in the month of May, I'd kind of like it, but overall my opinion of it has soured.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:48 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
As for it being disproportionate among the general public, the only thing disproportionate is the heat-and-sun-promoter dominance of the media.
That's entirely right;

If I were to be honest, I'd say most people are cold haters and heat haters, pretty much like Sophie or maybe a little more on the warm side.

In Nice, people usually complain when it's below 15°C or above 30°C.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
That's basically how I am. It's not that I love the feeling of 20F and sharp winds it's just that I can tolerate that far more easily than 85+. But I'd say my ideal temperature for outdoor activities is probably a little colder than average. I prefer to be outside when it's 45-55.
Same goes for me, except for sharp winds, I have no problem with 20F with no wind, any wind at that temp feels unpleasant.

I'm ok with up to 85F with low humidity, high humdity and 75F can feel uncomfortable.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I love all four seasons. Each of them has it's own particular beauty. I love the spring when the monotones of the winter are beginning to turn ever day a little greener. Little plants start sprouting all over the place and flowers start appearing. The birds come back and are acting really happy to be here.

I love the summer with those long warm days. When it does not get dark till after 10 pm. I love the smell of the fresh mowed hay fields. I love the warm rain storms and I actually walk aound in the pouring rain sometimes, it makes me feel very alive, I just always hope I don't get hit by lightning.

I love the fall, the colours and the smells that are uniquely fall in their characters. I get a thrill watching the huge flocks of birds getting ready for their long flight south. I enjoy the harvest time with all the crops coming in and all the produce ready to be eaten at big family gatherings. There is something about the year winding down once again that gives me peace and restfullness.

I love the winter because for me it's always been a time of renewal and rest. I always worked hard from March till December and then I was done my labour for the year. I love the feeling of being snowed in knowing I'm all prepared and cozy in my own little nest. I love walking with my dogs into the face of a raging blizzard and fell the power and majesty of nature at her best. I love waking up to a sunny day when freezing mist has covered everything and the world looks like it's covered in diamonds, it sparkles so bright it hurts to look at it.
Great post. I agree, I love four seasons, life is boring without it.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,359,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It does seem odd, I've never met anyone in real life that actually enjoys cold weather (other than snow of course). Most people I know tend to lean towards the warm side.

I find heat way more tolerable than cold. I'd take a heat index of 120 over a raw, cloudy, & windy 40-50 degree day. Freezing weather doesn't feel normal at all to me, it's not at all refreshing.

Agreed, I have met few people in real life who would rather have a cold, overcast, blustery day…than a warm, sunny, and nice day.

This might get skewed on –line however. Perhaps because people who tend to like cold/snowy weather are inside much more often, and of course people who don’t like such weather (but who live in climates that might experience such weather), tend to be insdie on their computer even more often. On the other hand, people who like warm/sunny/mild weather, or live in warm/sunny climates… tend to be outside more often, as they are often engaged in outdoor actives. I've noticed when I moved to the Middle Atlantic states, I was on-line far more from December through March, than from April through November.

Although there are a wide range of locations of posters - one can’t help but notice there seems to be a geography to where posters are from…and a dearth of where posters are not from. Where are all the posters from southern Asia, much of Africa, the Middle East, the Caribbean, the southern USA sunbelt, Hawaii , the warmer parts Australia, much of subtropical/tropical South American, …etc. Millions live in these regions, why are they not posting as often as those from England, Canada, the northern USA ...etc? Perhaps they are all “outside”.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
To be quite honest, I really don't care what the majority like or what the majority do.

It's been very sunny and warm here recently and my posting rate has stayed roughly the same as it was during the winter. I don't allow the weather to stop myself from going outside, that's kind of sad, because you would end up inside all day.. and for me, there's nothing better then going for a walk on a sunny, cold day with crunchy snow underfoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather