Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate
A 9 31.03%
B 9 31.03%
C 6 20.69%
D 4 13.79%
E 0 0%
F 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times

Advertisements

I think this climate is a great compromise for heat lovers. Why? because they will only have to gripe about the cold for 3 months of the year, at the expense of cold lovers. Cold weather fans, on the other hand, will have a lot to complain about the humidity, heat, and shortness of the winter season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Compromiseville is a sunnier and cooler Ann Arbor I'd rate this as A- (better than Ann Arbor), so there's no way that this is any sort of compromise for heat lovers.
Well the goal was enough warmth that would satisfy heat lovers, but not so much that would make summers unbearable for the cool lovers. It's hard to please everyone!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
C. April to September are nice, I'd be happy with that. Winter is too long with 5 months of min temps below freezing. October is too cold for the middle of Autumn.

Sun and rain are good.

If I had to live in a cold climate, this would probably be a good compromise.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
F. A sunnier, wetter version of Toronto.

78/61 F is not summer for me.
88/71 F? That's getting there.

I cannot see how having more than 4 months a year of highs below 60 F is a compromise.
I think somewhere like SW Australia is Compromiseville... with the exception of offering nothing for snow lovers.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Well the goal was enough warmth that would satisfy heat lovers, but not so much that would make summers unbearable for the cool lovers. It's hard to please everyone!
How about 85 F/63 F (29/17 C) with low humidity?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
I think this climate is a great compromise for heat lovers. Why? because they will only have to gripe about the cold for 3 months of the year, at the expense of cold lovers. Cold weather fans, on the other hand, will have a lot to complain about the humidity, heat, and shortness of the winter season
3 months? I wish Toronto had only three "bad" months for cold.

I would gripe everyday the daily mean is below 56 F/13 C.
So that's more like 7 months a year.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I am very one sided on weather related matters, so any warm summer climate will not work for me. C for this cliamte. Now if you revise the stats so that winter persists from Sep to April, then I will bump my rating to B.
Quote:
I agree that this "compromise" does more for people who like warmth than people who like cold. I'd complain not only of the shortness of the winter season but also the weakness of it. On top of that is is way too warm and humid most of the year for me. Probably 9 months of the year I'd be dissatisfied because it was too warm.

Quote:
I'd say it's impossible to please everyone, because a solution that is in the middle would be unsatisfactory to all, and going towards one of the extremes will please one group and have others still dissatisfied. There is no compromise that can be reached, and it is best we drop this whole compromise business (as it's pretty stupid) and create and search for our own versions of paradise.

That's not to say it's an unworthy idea, though. The sort of compromise approach combined with creativity can produce interesting results, such as one of my fantasy climates, Amicus. But the end-goal of satisfying all is futile.

As for myself I rate Compromiseville a C-. Winters too warm but decent. There is much too fast of a spring warmup, and autumns are too warm as well. Summers are awful with the humidity and the warm nights. Sunshine is too high (that humidity with high sunshine - ugh!). Precipitation is a bit higher than preference but is no problem. Snowfall is decent, at 50 inches, but I'd prefer a lot more, especially in light of the warmth in the rest of the year. Simply put, although it has a few attractive characteristics, they are only weakly attractive and vastly overpowered by the negatives of this climate. I agree with Kaul on the conditions for raising the grade, although I don't have the exact same requirements, nor will I necessarily bump it up just to a B. But more wintry weather is essential to both of us.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:05 AM

Default My new rating "-D"

^^

On second glance I agree that Spring has a rapid warm up.
This for me would be refreshing because I have little patience for a "true winter."
I missed out on this at first because autumn has just as quick a cool down as in Toronto.

So rather than Toronto with more sun and rain,
it looks more like nothern Iowa with more rain.

Warmthwise,
it's like Toronto skipping the month of March entirely.
April like May and May looks more like late-May
The rest of the year looks nearly identical though.

70's F can count as "heat" if I'm surrounded by hot, bare, dry sand in the sunshine.
Or I'm carrying a large mirror with me to reflect more sunlight back at me.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
78/61 F is not summer for me.
88/71 F? That's getting there.

I cannot see how having more than 4 months a year of highs below 60 F is a compromise.
I think somewhere like SW Australia is Compromiseville... with the exception of offering nothing for snow lovers.
Hmm. Though the averages are in the upper 70s, that naturally means there would be a fair number of afternoons into the low 80s with noticeable humidity and haziness. Most importantly, the heat index would be in the 80s most afternoons. All that combined with a strong summer sun would be quite toasty. Or is it too benign for you?

I'd say the rapid spring-warm up and moderately sultry summers is quite a generous compromise for mild/heat lovers while the quick cool-down in autumn and moderately cold and snowy winters should satisfy cold lovers. Of course this is JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How about 85 F/63 F (29/17 C) with low humidity?
I could go along with that, provided that there's at least somewhat of a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus
I'd say it's impossible to please everyone, because a solution that is in the middle would be unsatisfactory to all, and going towards one of the extremes will please one group and have others still dissatisfied. There is no compromise that can be reached, and it is best we drop this whole compromise business (as it's pretty stupid) and create and search for our own versions of paradise.

That's not to say it's an unworthy idea, though. The sort of compromise approach combined with creativity can produce interesting results, such as one of my fantasy climates, Amicus. But the end-goal of satisfying all is futile.
I'm not a fan of compromise myself, but with something as trivial and fanciful as this topic, I'm willing to "give a little". It can be quite fun hashing out our different preferences and creating these climates. In the end, I'm aware that it's nearly impossible to achieve 100% consensus and satisfaction. But the process of trying to is fun.

I'd say I really extended an olive branch to heat lovers in trying to satisfy their preferences in this climate. Of course they'd probably disagree.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
I'm not a fan of compromise myself, but with something as trivial and fanciful as this topic, I'm willing to "give a little". It can be quite fun hashing out our different preferences and creating these climates. In the end, I'm aware that it's nearly impossible to achieve 100% consensus and satisfaction. But the process of trying to is fun.
Ah, I see that you share my view of the compromising being an approach for good fun climate-wise, rather than an end-goal. In that case let's press on with these compromise fantasy climates. However I'm not willing to "give", and thus my ratings will continue to be as unmerciful as ever .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather