Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh you and I need to switch places so bad!
Would you really like to be here?

I think both of us would rather be in Maggie Valley NC instead of our respective hometowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Would you really like to be here?

I think both of us would rather be in Maggie Valley NC instead of our respective hometowns.
Oh yes that is where I'd really LOVE to be But I'd take where you live over where I live.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:46 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Well it is the first day of Fall today.
The high temperature was 89F in eastern Kansas.
It would be nice to actually have some FALL temperatures SOON.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:56 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
I agree with you. We had a cool spell last week, just enough to get our hopes up, then dang nab it, up went the temps once again. Sigh....one would think summer will never end. But, I guess I am happy, we are not in triple digit temps anymore.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh yes that is where I'd really LOVE to be But I'd take where you live over where I live.
Likewise!

Actually I think for living I'd prefer a Gulf Coast climate, but for a visit the southern Appalachians would probably be far more exciting. Ever watch a thunderstorm in the mountains at night?

Where I live is a lot cloudier than any place in NC, it gets colder and for a lot longer than almost any place in N.C., summers here can be colder AND hotter in the same summer as in some parts of the NC mountains, and most of our landscape isn't exactly awe-inspiring.

N.C.'s record is -33 F, probably a top Mt. Mitchell at around 7000 feet.
I've seen -40 F here, twice, at an elevation of only 350 feet.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:43 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Likewise!

Actually I think for living I'd prefer a Gulf Coast climate, but for a visit the southern Appalachians would probably be far more exciting. Ever watch a thunderstorm in the mountains at night?

Where I live is a lot cloudier than any place in NC, it gets colder and for a lot longer than almost any place in N.C., summers here can be colder AND hotter in the same summer as in some parts of the NC mountains, and most of our landscape isn't exactly awe-inspiring.

You have seen -40F temps?! I thought you lived in an urban area in southern Ontario where the temperatures did not get that cold.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Likewise!

There's a MOUNT Mitchell???? The town I live in is Mitchell.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
You have seen -40F temps?! I thought you lived in an urban area in southern Ontario where the temperatures did not get that cold.
Our official record here is only -31.6 C.

Pretty dumb to me because I remember seeing at least 20 days with minimums forecast at -35 C for Toronto or Mississauga. There were at least two days they forecast it at -40 C (same as -40 F) for the low, one day I saw in the "Toronto Star", the most reputable paper a high of -36 C. That's like a high of -33 F.

It's quite possible that it doesn't get that cold right at the edge of the Lake and maybe within a mile of the shore, but I believe these forecasts were accurate for places at least 5 miles inland.

I DID see our outdoor thermometer on top of the -40 C/-40 F mark, however accurate that was.
That winter obliterated our evergreen "cold-hardy" rhododendron.

I have been travelling along the lake when the temp was around -30 C, about -25 F and although Lake Ontario is never frozen-over you cannot see any water, just "smoke."

Old 09-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I believe it's the highest peak in North Carolina, and perhaps the eastern U.S.

There's also a Raleigh, North DAKOTA. I found that out one day watching PBR Bullriding.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 09-24-2007 at 01:55 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Mount Mitchell (North Carolina) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather