U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Rate
A 3 9.09%
B 14 42.42%
C 5 15.15%
D 5 15.15%
E 4 12.12%
F 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:30 PM

5,814 posts, read 4,341,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are you sure? I've checked the stats for both from their respective govt websites and that is not what I'm seeing, unless I'm looking at the wrond data.

Here is Victoria Airport: Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive

It appears that Victoria gets on the order of 52.6 frost days each year, along with 2.7 (3 days) where the high temp does not exceed freezing every year.

Pensacola on the other hand averages 13.7 frost days, and .2 ice days per year (comes out to one day every 5 years roughly).

National Weather Service Climate

Pensacola Airport is around 12 miles inland. The barrier islands, like Dauphin and Destin, average around 5 frost days per year. I visited Destin, FL in early March of 2011, a very cold winter in Dec and January that year. The area was lush green by early March and temps were around 70F. People were swimming in the sea. Water temps were in the low 60s. The landscaping at the resort was all kinds of palm and sub-tropical veg including canary island date palms. Here is a picture I took on March 11th, 2011:

Here is the table for Victoria from Enviro Canada:

Now, if you compare Pensacola Airport data, 12 miles inland, with Victoria Phyliss Street: Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive

Then you are correct, with Phyliss Street having 10.3 frost days to Pensacola's 13.7. However, Phyliss Street still gets 2.2 ice days every year on average, Pensacola no where near that.

I'd like to show where that Envir Canada data gathering location is (Phyliss Street) when you enter the coordinates into google earth from their website:

This is what I call an extreme microclimate. Now where else in the area gets anywhere near such low number of frosts. Every other location listed under Victoria at Enviro Canada had more ice and frost days than Pensacola.

Personally, I don't think this says anything about the climate in Victoria being milder than Pensacola at all.

I never said anything about the climate of Victoria being milder than Pensacola at all. Obviously Pensacola is far warmer year round. I just said that Victoria (city) not airport (which is quite outside the city itself and at a higher elevation) has approximately the same amount of frost days and approximately the same record low as Pensacola.
To be honest, I was quite surprised about this because I thought that Pensacola would blow Victoria out of the water even in this regard.
The station I was using was the one on Wikipedia Gonzalez heights which is representative of Victoria as a city.
Btw, for comparison sake I gave Pensacola a B- grade.. Victoria gets a D+ from me. As a warmth lover, which climate do you think I like better?

Victoria, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 12:57 PM

12,857 posts, read 8,261,642 times
An F, reminds me of where I live except summers come even earlier.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:23 PM

5,874 posts, read 2,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I never said anything about the climate of Victoria being milder than Pensacola at all. Obviously Pensacola is far warmer year round. I just said that Victoria (city) not airport (which is quite outside the city itself and at a higher elevation) has approximately the same amount of frost days and approximately the same record low as Pensacola.
To be honest, I was quite surprised about this because I thought that Pensacola would blow Victoria out of the water even in this regard.
The station I was using was the one on Wikipedia Gonzalez heights which is representative of Victoria as a city.
Btw, for comparison sake I gave Pensacola a B- grade.. Victoria gets a D+ from me. As a warmth lover, which climate do you think I like better?

Victoria, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive

It certainly blows it out of the water when you compare airport to aiport. And even the downtown location has two ice days per year compared to 0.2 for Pensacola. Pensacola is far warmer. Those downtown Victoria numbers are urban heat island effect, which greatly diminish frost days. NOAA doesn't have data for downtown Pensacola. But even so, Pensacola is much less developed than Victoria.

Pensacola has 51,000 people in an area of 40 sq miles. Victoria has a population of 80,000 in an area of 7.8 sq miles. No comparison. Pensacola is much less urbanized and less densely populated compared to Victoria. What about the numbers for a place like "Victoria Marine". They get over 33 frost days per year, and 3 ice days. It is located close by the water, yet far outside the urban heat island. Both it and Pensacola airport are over 100 feet in elevation. That is the fair comparison.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 PM

5,814 posts, read 4,341,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It certainly blows it out of the water when you compare airport to aiport. And even the downtown location has two ice days per year compared to 0.2 for Pensacola. Pensacola is far warmer. Those downtown Victoria numbers are urban heat island effect, which greatly diminish frost days. NOAA doesn't have data for downtown Pensacola. But even so, Pensacola is much less developed than Victoria.

Pensacola has 51,000 people in an area of 40 sq miles. Victoria has a population of 80,000 in an area of 7.8 sq miles. No comparison. Pensacola is much less urbanized and less densely populated compared to Victoria. What about the numbers for a place like "Victoria Marine". They get over 33 frost days per year, and 3 ice days. It is located close by the water, yet far outside the urban heat island. Both it and Pensacola airport are over 100 feet in elevation. That is the fair comparison.
Why do you always have to attack me and make feel stupid? That's not very nice. You could show some understanding that I don't have time to look at every single weather station and stats for both cities. You really hurt my feelings.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 PM

5,095 posts, read 2,775,044 times
In all fairness the amount of frost days are sort of similar to Florida on the coastline itself, which even if just isolated speaks to the high degree of mildness the region exhibits in its climate.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:22 PM

7,032 posts, read 3,934,437 times
I had an inkling that when I gave a climate an A, it might be somewhere in Florida. And so it is.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:48 PM

3,717 posts, read 2,892,131 times
Better than most places in Florida but still a D-. Besides, it gets blasted by hurricanes every three years.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 PM

473 posts, read 230,068 times
B+. Summers a little too hot and maybe a little too rainy and cloudy but otherwise good.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:49 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,087,887 times
Give it a B. Winters are little too cool for my liking.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:53 PM

505 posts, read 242,847 times
C-. October to April is nice, but the rest is too warm/hot and humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather