U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 AM

25,125 posts, read 11,511,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
I'd say Roseburg, Oregon is the farthest north location on the 5 with a true Mediterranean climate. Areas farther north have more in common with oceanic climates.
I agree, well somewhere around perhaps very slightly north till Oakland. The mix of trees and fields near Roseburg looks Mediterranean to me:

Much of the area around Eugene is farmed, but the hills around appear to have thicker forest:

Btw, I liked Eugene. Fun little city. But also, the vegetation in the Northeast Penisula, as well as across the border near Victoria bears some resemblance to a Mediterranean vegetation with the rain shadow creating much drier summers. Looks a bit different than wetter portions of the PNW:

I remember a sign saying the British explorers found the more open vegetation of the Victoria region refreshing and more like home compared to the thick conifer forests of the rest of the region, which they found gloomy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,044,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I agree, well somewhere around perhaps very slightly north till Oakland. The mix of trees and fields near Roseburg looks Mediterranean to me:

Much of the area around Eugene is farmed, but the hills around appear to have thicker forest:

Btw, I liked Eugene. Fun little city. But also, the vegetation in the Northeast Penisula, as well as across the border near Victoria bears some resemblance to a Mediterranean vegetation with the rain shadow creating much drier summers. Looks a bit different than wetter portions of the PNW:

I remember a sign saying the British explorers found the more open vegetation of the Victoria region refreshing and more like home compared to the thick conifer forests of the rest of the region, which they found gloomy.

the pictures you posted doesn't look nothing like what is to me a mediterranean landscape, at least from a European definition of what is mediterranean vegetation. What you post would be better fitting the kind of landscape that is found in more "Oceanic" or "mountainous" regions of France but suerly not mediterranean. The third picture would be more similar tot he kind of landscapes we have in Vosges or Jura mountains, near Switzerland/southern Germany.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 AM

6,414 posts, read 2,733,599 times
Have to agree. They are all typical Oceanic images.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM

5,204 posts, read 2,004,903 times
The fields looks like fields in Southern England or France

Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM

The fields aren't farm fields; they're natural as far as I could tell (well only partly for the second). That's why I thought it was Mediterranean. I thought they were similar to these rolling hills in the Bay Area, which is definitely Mediterranean:

[same view, winter & summer]

File:San Francisco Bay Area Skyline Blvd.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM

6,414 posts, read 2,733,599 times
Those photos also look Oceanic -very similar to rural areas around here.

Most Oceanic climates tend to dry off during the summer months and many Mediterranean climates are really just Oceanic climates with drier/warmer summers.

This photo is in the Marlborough region to the east of here. It's rainfall and temperature profile is very typical Oceanic.
Attached Thumbnails
Does the Pacific Northwest have a Mediterranean climate? Is it similar to Coastal California?-dscf0564_2.jpg  

Last edited by Joe90; 04-15-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM

Here's a weather station near the Bay Area photos:

WRIGHTS, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

Old 04-15-2013, 01:48 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,192,938 times
I would have to agree with a few others...no part of the PNW looks anything like a tru Mediterranean climate.

As i mentioned, this is why that the Trewartha climate classifications are much better - and more "real world". On Trewartha's map - Cs or Mediterranean climates end just above San Fran on the USA West coast.

I took these pics in southern Califorina, to me this is what classic Mediterranean climates really look like:

The PNW looks like what it truly is - a temperate climate ( Do or oceanic in this case)

Old 04-15-2013, 01:52 PM

Nice photos, but those are human planted landscapes not natural ones so it's hard to make a comparison.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Those photos also look Oceanic -very similar to rural areas around here.

Most Oceanic climates tend to dry off during the summer months and many Mediterranean climates are really just Oceanic climates with drier/warmer summers.

This photo is in the Marlborough region to the east of here. It's rainfall and temperature profile is very typical Oceanic.
I'm thinking we have different definition of oceanic. To me, oceanic requires a certain amount of rainfall year-around. That's just semi-arid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather