Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
You wouldn't consider Seattle or Portland oceanic?
No, they're Mediterranean. Csb is the Warm Summer Mediterranean type that encompasses those two cities; of course it's certainly cooler than something like Jerusalem, but they're Mediterranean just the same. Putting aside for a moment any stupefying arguments about Mediterranean climates based on stereotypes, how can a place have an oceanic climate when the very definition specifies that they cannot have a true dry season?

Quote:
Oh, but you were quite happy to hijack this thread with suggestions of subpolar climates like Reykjavik and Unalaska.
Subpolar oceanic climates. The consensus is that they are a variety of oceanic climate, with oceanic climates encompassing Koeppen types Cfb and Cfc. Cfa, Csa, Csb, etc. are not oceanic climates, and in any case Cfc climates are closer related to the Cfb types than many of the hotter options presented. The subpolar types I'm speaking of are actual oceanic climates that meet group C criteria and don't have a dry season, unlike the analogous action to what I've accused others of doing, which would be to pass off a Dfc climate that was marine-influenced as "oceanic".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 05:40 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
You wouldn't consider Seattle or Portland oceanic?
I wouldn't classify them as oceanic, as much as I'd like the summers to be wetter here.

Vancouver is also Csb, depending on which weather station is used.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
No, they're Mediterranean. Csb is the Warm Summer Mediterranean type that encompasses those two cities; of course it's certainly cooler than something like Jerusalem, but they're Mediterranean just the same. Putting aside for a moment any stupefying arguments about Mediterranean climates based on stereotypes, how can a place have an oceanic climate when the very definition specifies that they cannot have a true dry season?
The only thing "Mediterranean" about Seattle and Portland is the rainfall pattern.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
The only thing "Mediterranean" about Seattle and Portland is the rainfall pattern.
That's the whole point .

Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
I think temperatures are more important for climate classification purpose than precipitation patterns. It's absurd to not acknowledge that Vancouver and Seattle are oceanic, considering their geographic locations and the moderating maritime effects on each climates. I also think it's silly for the Mediterranean climate group to be extended to regions outside of Europe.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
The problem is that even in Southern California many coastal locations have rather cool summers, and thus are technically oceanic. But most people regard them as Mediterranean.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Anywhere on the West coast of North America north of the Oregon/California border is not Mediterranean IMO because to me Mediterranean is a subset of "subtropical" climate and for a climate to be "subtropical" it has to have at least 8 months that average 10C (50F) or higher. If you look at the Trewartha climate classification, you will see that the line delineating Cs and Do is right around the OR/CA border.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Anywhere on the West coast of North America north of the Oregon/California border is not Mediterranean IMO because to me Mediterranean is a subset of "subtropical" climate and for a climate to be "subtropical" it has to have at least 8 months that average 10C (50F) or higher. If you look at the Trewartha climate classification, you will see that the line delineating Cs and Do is right around the OR/CA border.
I like this distinction. Makes things consistent.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
The problem is that even in Southern California many coastal locations have rather cool summers, and thus are technically oceanic. But most people regard them as Mediterranean.
Further ammunition to my case. To regard a temperate climate (group C, and summer letter b) with a true dry season as oceanic is stupid. Whether you decide to label it "Mediterranean" is something else, but a dry-summer temperate classification is obviously warranted. The very definition of this climate, and the definition of Mediterranean climate, is a climate with temperate or subtropical temperatures that has a true dry season in the summer months. I don't know why it is so hard for so many people to accept that these West Coast climates do have a summer dry season and thus do have a Mediterranean climate. It is merely baseless emotionalism, to say "oh, that climate can't be Mediterranean, it doesn't fit my stereotype", and it is equally baseless to say that about subtropical, continental, subarctic, or any other kind of climate. It would be like me saying that any location that can get above 40F in the winter isn't a real continental climate, and try to shoehorn "subtropical climate" to fit the tossed-aside portions of the continental zone when they are obviously not subtropical. It's the same thing as tossing out a good chunk of the Mediterranean zones and trying to shoehorn oceanic climate to fit them when obviously they are not oceanic.

Kaul's position notwithstanding of course. He's using the oceanic/maritime label to apply to any place with a maritime influence, i.e. tighter annual range, lower daily range, less variability. This is regardless of temperature or temperateness, which is a completely different animal than the conventional Cfb/Cfc types being under that umbrella. In that respect Seattle and Portland are maritime, but so is Ust'Kamchatsk, Russia, Nome, Alaska, Nain, Labrador, and Boston, Massachusetts. As far as this climate classification goes Kaul's position is irrelevant.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Yes, but a 10 minute drive inland and you've got yourself average summer temps in the 90's and over 3000 hours annual sunshine. And a crap load of palm trees aswell. That to me spells "Mediterranean" more than any cold and gloomy climate with short lukewarm summers ever will just because some of those climates have summer min and winter max rainfall pattern.

In any case, even the extreme coastal spots in Southern California make a meal of anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, particularly in winter. I'd regard palm trees, 19C winters and sunshine as more evocative of the Mediterranean than 5C drizzly wet gloomy muck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather