Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

I've been, amusingly, described as a 'hot weather lover' all because I don't find the idea of Siberian frigidity very appealing.

Well I, like most ordinary people, am a MILD to WARM weather lover. Sure I'm afraid of cold because I've lived in a climate like LA my whole life, but I'm less afraid of heat than cold because I've experienced it.

I still prefer moderate temperatures. My ideal climates, such as Port Macquarie or Nairobi, are what most people's ideas of comfort is.

Few people I know are 'cold' or 'heat' lovers. The 'heat lovers' seem to be more cold haters, in my experience, and often complain just as much about heat. I know some who prefer 'brisker' temps to balmier conditions, but seldom have I met anyone who strongly prefers North Dakotan winters. They might like snow, but the temps are something they put up with.

On the same note all those who flock to Phoenix often spend all day in air-conditioned homes and country clubs.

So here's to the supposed 'mild' weather lovers. If I'm exposed to cold climes I'm sure I could adapt, but overall, for comfort purposes the less 'weather' there is the better. As someone whose interested in weather phenomena, however, I do like a bit of drama too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I've been described as a cold lover because I'm less tolerant of heat then I am of cold. I actually enjoy warm weather in the appropriate seasons and enjoy cold, snowy weather between November and March. I appear to be in a minority though when it comes to enjoying all four seasons.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
For me I'm more of a cold hater than a heat lover as many on this forum have probably figured out by now... I can't stand snow or frosts under any circumstances... in fact how warm the winters are the very first thing I look at at in a climate. For me, having warm to hot summers (or year round) to head to the beach in is a bonus

Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
For me I'm more of a cold hater than a heat lover as many on this forum have probably figured out by now... I can't stand snow or frosts under any circumstances... in fact how warm the winters are the very first thing I look at at in a climate. For me, having warm to hot summers (or year round) to head to the beach in is a bonus
I require decent warmth in summer in a climate to be happy (for me no cooler than Sydney or Toronto, around the 15-26C range). In terms of cold, anywhere with an average below freezing is what I consider 'extreme.' So I'd draw the line at New York City, Xian, Berlin or Perisher Valley, NSW, Australia.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
I'm a warm weather lover (70s to low 80s range). On the other hand I also like variety to some extent, and I don't mind seeing snow in winter. I just dislike it when winter lasts too long (which, in my view, is the case for most classic "four season climates"). I also don't mind a few days in the 90s in the summer, but not too many.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I'm a warm weather lover (70s to low 80s range). On the other hand I also like variety to some extent, and I don't mind seeing snow in winter. I just dislike it when winter lasts too long (which, in my view, is the case for most classic "four season climates"). I also don't mind a few days in the 90s in the summer, but not too many.
Same for me.

I am a hot weather lover, pretty much anything 85 and above. I'm a cold hater but I like some snow, like if there was a climate that didn't drop below 30 but had 2 to 3 moderate snowstorms a year that'd be perfect

Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Prefer mild to warm temperate climates, subtropical highland (an oceanic variation) and particularly mild Mediterranean with good summer sun.
More of a humidity hater than a heat hater, and hater of excessively high minimums (which don't worry the heat lovers).
Unfamiliar with continental winters so cannot have any affiliation with cold lovers as well.

Last edited by Derek40; 04-13-2012 at 02:19 AM.. Reason: extra re:cold

Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
I prefer warm climates between 70 and 80 degrees. Anything above 80 needs to have high rainfall to compensate. I like my hometown. Low 80s during the dry season, high-mid 80s during the wet season with high rainfall, probably similar to where Trimac is originally from (or Trimac's parents). Course the mountain towns are perfect

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 04-13-2012 at 05:08 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
80F to me is hot, not mild. I'd actually say the mild category ends between 60F and 75F. Since this thread is about people who like mild weather or boring weather, I will for the most part stay out of it, but it should suffice to say that there are plenty of people whose weather tastes vary widely both in this forum and in the real world, and the proportion of people who like cold, heat, storms, or winter weather is far greater than the tiny minority that is often suggested as a figure, and I speak from personal experience.

I'm certainly not anything close to a fan of mild weather, so this topic is not really interesting to me. For the record my preferences are:

- Cold winters, averaging around 5-10F for highs and around -10F for lows, with record highs around 40F and record lows below -40F.
- Mild summers, averaging 60's F for highs and 40's F for lows; this weather should last for 3 months (though I don't mind one sub-60F month). All-time record high shouldn't be any higher than about 90F.
- Plentiful snowfall, well in excess of 100 inches per season
- Storminess and windy conditions being dominant
- Low sunshine, below 2400 hours with 1700 being ideal

Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Outside of winters, I enjoy "mild coolness" with temperatures in the 40s, 50s, and 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather