Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times

Advertisements

Winter Weather Advisory for tomorrow. 2-4 inches of snow forecast. Looks like we're establishing a solid snow pack. Next week has highs only in the 20s.

Unfortunately my car is snowed/iced in. Wish I had 4WD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It's quite arrogant on your part to assume that you know what Nei wants better than Nei himself. I'm confident that Nei knows what he wants from a climate, and "you'll get sick of it if you experience it" almost never holds if one carefully refines their understanding of what one likes before jumping up and leaving. Cold lovers often get the tired refrain: "trust me: if you ever experience a winter like I have, you'll get sick of it too". I've gotten that line occasionally, and I can happily report that the winter-haters' expertise isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Now, I am sure that Nei would get sick of Northern Ireland's climate, but he doesn't even like weather like that to begin with. His ideal climate is closer to Italy than Ireland (though still removed from both).
Exactly. Though I suspect somewhere in Italy has a climate rather close to my ideal climate:

Any ideas? An exact match is unlikely, though I created an unusual temperature and precipitation combination.

Quote:
Tired of winter? You list your location as Mid-Atlantic, so I'll look at Philadelphia.
I think this poster lives in Queens, NY or possibly Long Island (from earlier postings on the forum). It's been running warmer than average so far as well, and there's a chance the weather might become wintry soon. Snow is forecast on the coast.

Quote:
As for the confusion with regards to the Northeast, the coast and the interior are like two separate regions climate-wise. There's also the subdivision between the Mid-Atlantic, the mainline Northeast (NY/NJ), and New England.
We had a rather thorough discussion on classifying the interior Northeast and Midwest climate-wise. Seemed like the border between the Northeast and Midwest based on state lines isn't very meaningful, our climate groups were on both sides.

How different is the Midwest from the (interior) Northeast?

I made a 4-way classification (see post #5) that could perhaps use a bit of tweaking.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Anyone know French?(i think)
http://www.zoneski.com/forum/index.p...A9cembre-2012/
Multiple feet of snow on mountains in the East. Been almost 2 yrs since

Source is same link as above.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Exactly. Though I suspect somewhere in Italy has a climate rather close to my ideal climate:

Any ideas? An exact match is unlikely, though I created an unusual temperature and precipitation combination.

I think this poster lives in Queens, NY or possibly Long Island (from earlier postings on the forum). It's been running warmer than average so far as well, and there's a chance the weather might become wintry soon. Snow is forecast on the coast.

We had a rather thorough discussion on classifying the interior Northeast and Midwest climate-wise. Seemed like the border between the Northeast and Midwest based on state lines isn't very meaningful, our climate groups were on both sides.

How different is the Midwest from the (interior) Northeast?

I made a 4-way classification (see post #5) that could perhaps use a bit of tweaking.
Palermo or Messina, Sicily is pretty close Nei though not quite as wet

Messina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Palermo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-28-2012, 02:12 PM

How much snow do the Adirondaks have?? Take a listen.

Adirondaks Weather Report 12-28-12 - YouTube

Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,390 times
The storm on the 26th/27th brought more than 10cm of snow to Toronto, the city hasn't received over 5cm since March 2011.

Meanwhile, in Quebec: "The low pressure system dumped as much as 50 cm in Longueuil, while walloping Montreal with up to 45 cm -- beating the city's all-time daily mark set on March 4, 1971."

S QC lashed by record snowfall - The Weather Network

Last edited by Humid Subtropical; 12-28-2012 at 03:25 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 03:22 PM

234 posts, read 214,680 times
Maybe beginning next week we will finally fall into a routine of getting the weekly snows for our region. Here is a segment from the extended forecast from the NWS.

MONDAY AND TUESDAY...THE FIRST SHOT OF ARCTIC AIR ARRIVES DURING THE
DAY MONDAY LIKELY LEADING TO MORE NORTHWEST FLOW LAKE EFFECT ALONG
WITH COLDER TEMPERATURES THROUGH TUESDAY. HIGHS IN THE MIDDLE 20S TO
LOWER 30S MONDAY AND THE UPPER TEENS TO LOWER 20S TUESDAY. LOWS
MAINLY IN THE TEENS.

WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY...THE SECOND ARCTIC COLD FRONT ALONG WITH
AN ASSOCIATED NORTHERN STREAM ALBERTA CLIPPER MOVE ACROSS THE REGION
WEDNESDAY LIKELY BRINGING SNOW SHOWERS TO MUCH OF THE REGION. IT
THEN LOOKS LIKE MORE NORTH OF NORTHWEST FLOW LAKE EFFECT FROM LATER
WEDNESDAY RIGHT INTO FRIDAY. THIS WILL BE THE COLDEST AIRMASS OF THE
SEASON WITH 850 MB TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO THE LOWER -20S C. HIGHS
IN THE MIDDLE TEENS TO LOWER 20S AND LOWERS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS TO
MIDDLE TEENS.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:26 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Offhand, it looks a little like Naples, but it isn't a close match.

Quote:
NYC has been a bit colder, though the weather has been (and usually is) quite similar. My remarks still apply.

Quote:
I don't want to get into a discussion of what's true winter or not, but the fact is that the interior Northeast has a colder and snowier variety of climate than the actual East Coast (Boston to DC). You just have to look at an average annual snowfall map to see that. As for the Midwest, the similarity in climate really only extends through the Great Lakes region; if that's what you mean by Midwest, then I agree with you.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:41 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
It sure is windy tonight. My relatively sheltered home weather station anemometer recorded a 43mph gust. I can hear the steady "sccchhhhh" of the wind outside.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:55 PM

Winter ..

CNY Central's Tom Eschen Live in Winter Storm - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather