Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate?
A 10 21.74%
B 12 26.09%
C 3 6.52%
D 10 21.74%
F 11 23.91%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Winters are warmer than Northern New England despite the higher latitude:

Lancaster, New Hampshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

D for both of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
I give this an "A" grade - I love the UP! My actual preference is Houghton, located in the Keweenaw Peninsula (that "hook" on top of the UP), but I'd be glad to settle for Marquette any day of the week. I love the heavy snow and generally cool summers, although it does get the occasional heat wave. But even then, Lake Superior never gets that warm, so there's always the opportunity to cool off at the beaches on the hottest days.

Aside from Upstate New York, the UP of Michigan is one of my "dream" places to move to someday - I've had enough of this southern summer heat...lol.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Any of you actually ever been to the UP?

This thread brings back some very fond memories of my trip up there 20 some-odd years ago, in January. Yeppers, I went up there in the teeth of their uber-snowy winters, flying into Houghton / Hancock area via Great Lakes Air. I'll never forget stepping out of that airplane and being awed by all the whiteness all around me. And the air smelled soooo good...ahhhh. I took a little tour of the UP, skied the Porkies, which overlooks Lake Superior, visited Marquette, etc. Some of the scenes I saw from traveling the highways up there were right out of a Swiss Alps postcard, with houses covered in huge mounds of snow. Truly a beautiful place.

I can remember the commercials I saw touting the UP like yesterday - "Upper Michigan...Someplace Speciaallll"...lol. They've that that right.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
F. It's a no brainer. Cold, cloudy, and snowy.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I give this an "A" grade - I love the UP! My actual preference is Houghton, located in the Keweenaw Peninsula (that "hook" on top of the UP), but I'd be glad to settle for Marquette any day of the week.
I'd give Houghton an A grade as opposed to Marquette. Houghton passes my "high winter" threshold (<25/10 for 2-3 months) which is essential to get an A from me. Houghton averages a high of 21F in January, which is significantly colder than Marquette, and in addition Houghton gets 178 inches of snow vs. Marquette's 141. Houghton also seems to be cooler in summertime.

So like you my preference within the U.P. is for Houghton.

Quote:
I love the heavy snow and generally cool summers, although it does get the occasional heat wave. But even then, Lake Superior never gets that warm, so there's always the opportunity to cool off at the beaches on the hottest days.

Aside from Upstate New York, the UP of Michigan is one of my "dream" places to move to someday - I've had enough of this southern summer heat...lol.
The U.P. as a whole has a good climate even by my standards, and by both of our standards there is no comparison with anyplace in Georgia.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 PM

414 posts, read 797,863 times
Houghton is on that western hook (or shark's fin) peninsula of the UP which would be even snowier- I'd imagine this hook of land dries out some of the snow before getting to Marquette. Here's another town that's right at the top of that shark's fin that receives 125 inches of snow a year:

Copper Harbor, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd rate this slightly higher than Marquette due to the lower record highs (only 37C here).

Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
WOW!! Copper Harbor looks superb.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:58 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Copper Harbor is an improvement over Marquette and it has cooler summers, plus colder winter record highs, but the winter averages of Houghton are colder and snowier. I will note that in most of these U.P. locations the snowfall is bigger than the not-so-impressive averages would suggest - December and January in these parts usually average at least 30 inches of snow, and in Copper Harbor's case January averages over 40 inches. Don't get me wrong - totals in excess of 100 inches are pretty snowy, but those monthly totals are something I'd expect to see in a place that averages a lot more snow per annum. That's what lake-effect snow can do to a place.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times
D; summers are identical to London, but without the benefit of a mild winter.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
D. Winters are too long and too snowy. Spring is at least a month delayed compared to NYC. Summers are decent, though, if very short.
As the old saying goes in the U.P.: "We have two seasons: Winter's Coming, and Winter's Here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather