Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,086,955 times

Advertisements

Here in Duluth, MN, almost everybody concurs that the season with the most agreeable weather is summer - June, July, August, and perhaps early September, although September and even early October are sometimes very nice, especially if you count "foliage" under the heading of weather.

Down in St. Louis, it would seem that people would consider fall and spring as their best seasons.

In Florida, everybody seemed to hype winter as the best season to be outdoors.

Which season do people in your city consider to have the most pleasant weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 03:46 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,520,360 times
Late spring and early summer I think is considered the best part of the year here to be outdoors. The days are longer during this period, by August they are shortening rapidly and in recent years August has not been a very nice month. Don't remember the last time it was warm and sunny on my birthday.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:59 PM

841 posts, read 3,058,963 times
If you ask ME, then I would say winter is the best season here for doing outdoor activities (in general, though with some odd days when that is a bit difficult), and perhaps I would extend that to late fall and early spring. But, most people here seem to think that the best seasons are spring and fall. And still, there are some crazy people who think summer is the best, but they are fewer, I guess.

Last edited by sanfel; 04-19-2012 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Grammatical error

Old 04-19-2012, 04:02 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,271,585 times
Generally March through July. Starts out with warming weather and lengthening days, and great conditions for snow sports; continues through the thawing of rivers, the return of many plants and birds, and the final melting of the lingering snowpack; and goes on into the near-eternal daylight of summer with the warmest temperatures and clearest skies of the year.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times
For ME, it is NOW! Once the plants start coming out everywhere, as opposed to just a few buds, and daytime temperatures are generally in the 60s or above (and quickly warming) with long days it's the best time of year.

Up till mid June. Flowers become a little scarcer and the leaf color a bit darker shade plus the slightly uncomfortable temperatures occur occasionally. I enjoy heat for its own sake but mid to late spring is the best time of year.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:27 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,711,947 times
Generally here it's either spring or summer for most people. So I'd say late spring is the most appreciated time of the year overall, maybe extending to mid-spring ("April in Paris" and so on...).

Old 04-19-2012, 05:49 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,981,200 times
For me a nice season depends on whether it's summer or winter - if the summer highs are between 50F and 70F (with lows <50F) I'd consider it to be a nice season. If winter highs are between 0F and 25F (lows <10F) I'd consider that to be a nice season as well.

Basically the "nice season" or the most agreeable weather for me is the one closet to my ideal in a given season . Relative to outdoor activities I'd say a nice season is when one can best perform winter/snow sports and activities, or when one can best perform summer or non-winter sports and activities (soccer, marathon running, non-winter hiking, etc.).

If a climate is close to my dream climate, the whole year is a nice season, in that both summer and winter qualify for their respective outdoor activities. In someplace like Oklahoma the only nice season for me is for summer activities, and it's in winter. Conversely some places in Antarctica may only qualify for winter activities in summertime. Still other places, such as the deep subtropics, tropics, or colder ice caps, have no nice season at all. There is another class of unsatisfactory climates where the nice season for summer or winter activities may be in the spring or autumn; New York is an example of this.

Obviously the question is complicated for me to answer as my preference varies through the year, and may not really even apply to someone like me, but rather to the eternal summer warmth crowd.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:53 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,339,612 times
It can be subjective depending on what one likes in terms of sensible weather. In the Tri-State area (NYC/NJ/CT) some consider spring the best time of year, some summer, some fall or winter. For for me the time from mid April to early November is the best. This spring has been true perfection I guess - weeks and weeks of relentless sunshine with highs in the 60's and 70's (nights in the 40's and low 50's). The drought and fire issues have been the only down side.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,649,791 times
For me july/august.. and that is it, all the other months too cold. Even july and august are not warm enough for me.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:05 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,948,641 times
Our "nice" season is from December-April. Ofcourse, it includes summer and Dec-Feb is the height of the storm season, but I also enjoy those crisp sunny days we get in Autumn. However, we get more storms in spring than autumn, but spring has crapper weather and is generally colder aswell, so therefore don't consider it "nice".

Ofcourse, these period is still regularly spat on by cold fronts and anti-cyclonic gloom which can bring days of cold, overcast and showers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather