U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 AM

4,933 posts, read 2,335,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I wish that happened when I raged about the weather. Problem is I rage about cold weather and therefore there are no thunderstorms.
Don't forget about thundersnow . There's an example of this in your region, on YouTube by the title of "Thundersnow - Bangor, Northern Ireland 18/12/2010". There was also some intense lightning in the Groundhog Day Blizzard. I've found two videos, one by the name of "Chicago thundersnow" by "ewhiteny1", and the other "Thundersnow Chicago" by "pdubs03".

Strangely enough it's probable that in Northern Ireland, and parts of New England in another incident, that the most intense thunderstorms they had all year occurred while it was snowing . Of course I know that you prefer thunder-rain as opposed to thunder-snow, and more storms occur when it's warm as opposed to cold, but just the same, cold doesn't exclude thunder and lightning.

Quote:
I would happily send this cold air away, anywhere.
We'll take it here. With the infusion of your cold air, the Triumvirate of Winter's plot for total ice domination of the American continent will be complete .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM

8,579 posts, read 6,270,926 times
It's 51F here right now.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 AM

31 posts, read 25,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
It's 51F here right now.
Wish I was there!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM

5,197 posts, read 2,316,851 times
Anybody know of any forums dominated by people that like it hot or at least more moderate than you ice age lovers, lol? I agree with you guys when it's in the mid 90's in July, but 85F on a clear summer day, I love it.
Same token I am miserable when it is 30F and freezing cold, dark in January. Yuk! You guys must never feel utterly chilled to the bone to such an extent that it is painful.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM

31 posts, read 25,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Anybody know of any forums dominated by people that like it hot or at least more moderate than you ice age lovers, lol? I agree with you guys when it's in the mid 90's in July, but 85F on a clear summer day, I love it.
Same token I am miserable when it is 30F and freezing cold, dark in January. Yuk! You guys must never feel utterly chilled to the bone to such an extent that it is painful.
Well I don't know if this counts, but I have family that lives in NE Kansas and a couple of years ago when we went to visit the average high temps for the 4 days we were there was in the negative teens. (It was an odd winter according to my family, that doesn't happen all the time.) But, I remember that was the first time I had ever been in a place where just being outside made my fingers and face hurt so bad. I am not a fan of that kind of cold at all. I want mild temps mostly year round with some very occasional cold snaps, and preferably nothing like that! And 85 is waaay too hot for me. Anything over 75 and I wanna cry.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM

25,126 posts, read 11,511,800 times
Quote:
I agree! Maybe we need to start our own thread and hope someone will join us.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM

4,933 posts, read 2,335,437 times
Quote:
Maybe this forum? Seriously, this place was pretty balanced and possibly even dominated by warmth lovers earlier on, but I think this thread, my entrance, and NorthStarDelight's entrance has tipped the balance at this point to the cold side. Not that I'm complaining - it's a nice tipping point. However, there are representatives from all points of view here, and I'm sure that there are more than enough winter-haters and lovers of moderate weather for you to discuss weather with.

As I've said previously, you should start your own thread about these topics. I'm sure you'll get a better warmth-focused discussion if you heat lovers take the initiative than if you wait for us winter fans to do the work for you . Besides, topics like this one tend to attract those who yearn for the ice. I can guarantee I won't spoil the fun in a warmth appreciation thread. I'm already having plenty of fun here .

Quote:
You cut right to the heart of it. Such temperatures aren't painful at all for us ice age lovers; in fact I'd consider temperatures much lower than that to be quite pleasant. I'm sure there is a point where we would be chilled to the bone (I'm sure it's somewhere higher than -100F ), but it is obviously a lot colder than yours and many others.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 7,054,736 times
The only time I felt true discomfort due to cold was when I was younger and I was walking home in a full-on blizzard. Since then though, it isn't an issue, I can easily go outside and get my milk in shorts when it's below freezing without even feeling cold - obviously staying outside for long would be a different issue

Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM

4,001 posts, read 2,642,889 times
Quote:
It would be nice too see a subforum of those that:

(a) Don't like the cold
(b) Prefer warm over "hot"
(c) Like a good ration of sunshine
(d) Don't feel the need to be rained on very much

Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Status: "A cool and wet summer is my idea of heaven :)" (set 10 days ago)

1,583 posts, read 1,127,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

You cut right to the heart of it. Such temperatures aren't painful at all for us ice age lovers; in fact I'd consider temperatures much lower than that to be quite pleasant. I'm sure there is a point where we would be chilled to the bone (I'm sure it's somewhere higher than -100F ), but it is obviously a lot colder than yours and many others.
Exactly. Like when I landed in Detroit in Jan of 2010 and walked outside the terminal, the first thing that came to my mind how "mild" it felt, when it was actually in the low 20's. And when he took me to a park with a frozen lake and we walked around it, it was 26 degrees, and I actually broke out into a sweat after about 20 minutes, and had to unzip my jacket to cool off. My uncle was impressed, to say the least.

So yeah, the prospect of a long, cold and *snowy* winter brings a smile to my face, as does breezy days in the 60's in the summertime. One of these days, I'm gonna do it - I'm gonna move my butt to a chilly climate and root myself there like a 200 year-old oak tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather