U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 PM

14,348 posts, read 7,853,330 times
Ha, I get too warm, too, when it's cold and sunny and I'm wearing a big jacket. I end up taking the jacket off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,704,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Lol.. Flight Simmer's nigthmare May is typical May weather for here.

Thankfully for me there is no crying season here, just comfortable weather year-round as far as I'm concerned.
That's it-rub it in . We had our first 90 degree day Sunday and it'll pretty much stay in the 90s until December. So far,the humidity is staying below 70% but that will change soon. Two more summers and I can say adieu to this tropical hell hole.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,421,887 times
Great OP, NorthStarDelight.

This resonates with me a lot. I moved from Michigan down South as a child, so I didn't have any say in the matter. I never got used to the summers there and I left as soon as I found the opportunity. I hadn't settled down yet, though, so I'm sure it was a lot easier for me to move than it will be for you. I think the only difference between me and the other cold lovers is that I also get cold easily. Though that's nothing clothes can't solve.

To me, it looks like the new average in the South is a hot and dry summer. I have a hunch that a bit of that might be due to the lack of hurricane activity in the Gulf over the past few years. Some tropical storms would create an environment too unstable for a high keeping things hot and dry for months on end, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Anybody know of any forums dominated by people that like it hot or at least more moderate than you ice age lovers, lol? I agree with you guys when it's in the mid 90's in July, but 85F on a clear summer day, I love it.
Same token I am miserable when it is 30F and freezing cold, dark in January. Yuk! You guys must never feel utterly chilled to the bone to such an extent that it is painful.
This forum used to have more heat lovers than non.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Maybe this forum? Seriously, this place was pretty balanced and possibly even dominated by warmth lovers earlier on, but I think this thread, my entrance, and NorthStarDelight's entrance has tipped the balance at this point to the cold side. Not that I'm complaining - it's a nice tipping point. However, there are representatives from all points of view here, and I'm sure that there are more than enough winter-haters and lovers of moderate weather for you to discuss weather with.
It was before you started posting. More like when Kaul entered the scene and turned this forum into a battlefield for a little while.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM

8,756 posts, read 6,700,279 times
Quote:
Anybody know of any forums dominated by people that like it hot or at least more moderate than you ice age lovers, lol? I agree with you guys when it's in the mid 90's in July, but 85F on a clear summer day, I love it.
Same token I am miserable when it is 30F and freezing cold, dark in January. Yuk! You guys must never feel utterly chilled to the bone to such an extent that it is painful.
The only time the cold actually hurts me is if:

a) I'm underdressed
b) My hands or feet remain relatively motionless for too long. For example, like I said I've worked in warehouses for almost seven years. Often times I'd have to unload pipe trucks in all sorts of weather. A few times when it was in the 20s or colder, I'd be on the forklift doing my thing, and by the time I finished, my feet were painfully cold. My hands stayed reasonably comfortable due to the constant steering and pulling of the levers, but my feet, while moving often, were only moving in tiny amounts and nowhere near as much as my hands. I've also had my hands become painfully cold when cycling to work. I had decent gloves, but if I didn't remember to move my fingers a lot they'd get very cold regardless. I've also had my face become so cold it hurt some, but not as much as my hands or feet. The rest of my body has never been so cold it hurt.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:49 PM

2,604 posts, read 1,767,582 times
Only a few days into may and already seven pages!

Quote:
I think if you look at the poll results to "rate the climate" threads you'll see that moderate-warmth lovers (such as myself) still dominate. It's just that the most prolific posters tend to be firmly on the cold-loving side (and this will become even more apparent as NH summer looms).

Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 5,475,173 times
I've certainly be uncomfortable in moderately cold weather, say teens or 20s, if underdressed. But the only time I've ever felt pain from cold was in subzero temperatures (-10 to -15 F). Mostly it was in the hands.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 PM

1,158 posts, read 678,707 times
Quote:

THe Australian Weather Forums are about as cold loving as you can get. I was even targeted and thrown off (along with many rude remarks, from moderators!!) for saying a rainy day "sucks" when we were supposed to get storms

check out how they foam over the recent spate of crap weather. Unbelievable
The Australian Weather Forum • View topic - Cold Outbreak - April 23rd - 29th 2012

As someone who enjoys astronomy, I couldn't tolerate these creatures. So I ended up trolling those forums several times. Mad fun too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Great OP, NorthStarDelight.

This forum used to have more heat lovers than non.
It was before you started posting. More like when Kaul entered the scene and turned this forum into a battlefield for a little while.
Seems like a couple of regular heat lovers have either disappeared or only post occasionally now while we had more cold lovers join. Kaul's posts were always a riot, I wish he would start posting more often so I can target him like in the good ol' days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Only a few days into may and already seven pages!

I think if you look at the poll results to "rate the climate" threads you'll see that moderate-warmth lovers (such as myself) still dominate. It's just that the most prolific posters tend to be firmly on the cold-loving side (and this will become even more apparent as NH summer looms).
I actually noticed that colder climates always seem to get more votes.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM

7,039 posts, read 3,679,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
THe Australian Weather Forums are about as cold loving as you can get. I was even targeted and thrown off (along with many rude remarks, from moderators!!) for saying a rainy day "sucks" when we were supposed to get storms

check out how they foam over the recent spate of crap weather. Unbelievable
The Australian Weather Forum • View topic - Cold Outbreak - April 23rd - 29th 2012
It's exactly the same on the UK weather forums I used to be a member on. I was banned from netweather.tv countless times for similar reasons. I haven't bothered to re-instate an account. I haven't got the time to argue with people who think 15C with drizzle makes a great summer and 10C nights are too hot, or the people who predicted in October "we will (not might, or could) have a record cold winter" (for 2011-2012, and was totally wrong) and all that type of thing. This forum seems more balanced in terms of the number of warm/cold appreciators.

It's actually quite easy though, on netweather.tv in particular, to ignore the bores propagating the cold worship on there. Pretty much all the people with the keywords "cold", "snow", "blizzard", "winter/wintry", "polar", and such like as part of their username (and there are LOADS), take automatic residence on my ignore list.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 05-03-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 PM

14,348 posts, read 7,853,330 times
I'm a regular user of Netweather, the vast majority of people prefer hot summers and cold winters, things that are unusual in the UK. I have no idea why you think people there prefer drizzly summers, do you not see the incessant moaning on there about the current cloudy weather!?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM
B87

2,861 posts, read 1,286,076 times
I've never signed up there but I do wonder what people are talking about when their ideal 'summer' weather is comprised of 18-22C temps and sun/showers. Those temps are fairly cool for summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather