U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:23 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,133,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Big difference between the North and the South on that one. Some years, the trees aren't completely out in early May.
That's why I'd love to live up north, as your seasons are so much more balanced then ours. Your summer comes when it supposed to, in June. And fall starts in Sept, etc. Here, our summer runs 5 months, and the rest of the seasons are compressed into the other 7. Kinda sucks that the season I like the least is also the longest...

Last edited by NorthStarDelight; 05-06-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 12:31 PM

5,526 posts, read 3,723,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
That's why I'd love to live up north, as your seasons are so much more balanced then ours. Your summer comes when it supposed to, in June. And fall starts in Dec, etc. Here, our summer runs 5 months, and the rest of the seasons are compressed into the other 7. Kinda sucks that the season I like the least is also the longest...
Not all areas in the Northern US have balanced seasons...
Check out Unalaska, AK

Unalaska, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-06-2012, 12:37 PM

4,934 posts, read 2,345,472 times
True, but just about everywhere in the northern tier of the lower 48 has more balanced seasons than anywhere in the Sun Belt. Chicago and Des Moines have even-tempered seasons, and places to the north maintain this trend, at least up to the Canadian border (49th parallel). Even Winnipeg is far more four-seasonal than a place as far north as Nashville. In any case all of the real four-season climates are roughly north of the 40th parallel, which to an American would be northern territory. Alaska may as well be a separate country, since it has to have its own assessment climate-wise. Unalaska certainly isn't balanced .

Old 05-06-2012, 01:14 PM

1,081 posts, read 862,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
That's a big move from Sydney to Brissy, good luck.
May looks divine in Brisbane, but summer is another story! (not trying to pre-warn you?)
Thanks

Summer definitely will be interesting. Possibly a bit too hot for me and the high cloud cover and rain not ideal. A local was explaining the importance of living in an eastward facing property (or one with dominant exposure to the east) as this gets the cooling breeze. Plus avoid areas with low wind exposure (e.g. enclosed valleys).

But am hoping more months of the year are enjoyable plus will not miss the cooler Sydney months and higher rain days.

Our main reason for the move was housing unaffordability in Sydney, plus my wife and I have realised we are not big city people and prefer somewhere a bit quieter.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,133,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Not all areas in the Northern US have balanced seasons...
Check out Unalaska, AK

Unalaska, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's a climate that's unbalanced in the other direction, which I'd not mind at all....lol. Would prefer a bit colder winter, though - that maritime influence does take a bit out of what otherwise is a wonderfully long winter.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 PM

5,526 posts, read 3,723,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
That's a climate that's unbalanced in the other direction, which I'd not mind at all....lol. Would prefer a bit colder winter, though - that maritime influence does take a bit out of what otherwise is a wonderfully long winter.
I guess that's true if you like it really cold during your winter.. but the snowfall totals are fairly high .. roughly on par with a place like Montreal and Buffalo, NY. Summers in Unalaska are much cooler than pretty much anywhere in the northern tier of the lower 48... most days are in the 40s and 50s the record high is only 81F!

Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,587,137 times
Here, May is almost a summer month but it's not consistent. You cannot rely on it being warm like you can in Jun-Aug. Many days, especially in the early May are still cool enough to require a sweatshirt even during the day. The ocean is still very cool so if you live anywhere close to the water, there is going to be a biting breeze. But many days are also very pleasant.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:06 PM

7,507 posts, read 5,867,632 times
I'm very happy in May, well actually March and April, too, unusual weather we've been having! Everything is about a month ahead of schedule due to the mild winter.

We are still getting colder than normal days, now and then, due to the wind off the lake, can't change that but overall great weather!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM

1,158 posts, read 633,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Do you get snow during your winter months? Your winter months are our Spring and Summer months here in the states right?
Snow in Newcastle, Australia? A little research and less ignorance would suggest no.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:01 PM

1,508 posts, read 819,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Snow in Newcastle, Australia? A little research and less ignorance would suggest no.
Yes, we have had a couple of snowfalls in the metro area in the last century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_S...ew_South_Wales)

This is not far from my residence here, in the outer western suburbs - but am yet to see snow myself!
The Barrington Tops just to the north get snowfall very winter, but they are at 1500 metres above sea level.
They should get more tourists there, now that fugitive Malcolm Naden has been caught up there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather