Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times

Advertisements

I'm generally ok with May, particularly the first half.
However it is a definite transition month, and can be prone to bouts of rut-like weather with coolish, windy and overcast or drizzly conditions as June approaches.
I prefer the milder and sunny weather of April that just finished.
It is still infinitely better than high summer though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 02:01 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,932 times
Well if it's a transition month a across hemispheres then it may (exceptions aside) have the least number of both very happy and very unhappy people. In other words, moods in general sit somewhere in the middle.

Personally I am very happy, mostly due to a positive shift climatically in my location and being witness to near optimal conditions for me at the moment

Old 05-06-2012, 02:54 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,145 times
May is one of my most HATED armpit of a month. It is characterised by endless gloom and cloud, and marks the start of winter cold where temps won't even exceed 20C until late August/September. Just a monotony of 12-16C days and freaking grey layer cloud day in day out

May is infact cloudier than July and August here

Old 05-06-2012, 05:17 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,224,561 times
It's been hitting 90 for a week and the humidity is creeping up. No rain or cloud cover. I suppose I could be happy that it's not as bad as it's going to get.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
May may be a good time of year for N.H. heat lovers and S.H. cold lovers, but it's pretty bad for S.H. heat lovers and N.H. cold lovers. In a good chunk of the Northern Hemisphere, May is the beginning of a long, hard slog that is summer, the bane of any heat hater.

I'd agree that the feelings overall are more muted, but don't mistake that for everyone being happy.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Well if it's a transition month a across hemispheres then it may (exceptions aside) have the least number of both very happy and very unhappy people. In other words, moods in general sit somewhere in the middle.

Personally I am very happy, mostly due to a positive shift climatically in my location and being witness to near optimal conditions for me at the moment
That's a big move from Sydney to Brissy, good luck.
May looks divine in Brisbane, but summer is another story! (not trying to pre-warn you?)

Old 05-06-2012, 05:34 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Is May the month in where cold lovers/heat lovers are happy the most?
I mean i notice a lot of heat/warm lovers people happy cause the warm days are starting to appear, and at the same time, a lot of cold/cool lover people of southern hemisphere (like myself) are happy cause summer is over and cold days (even when it doesnt seems so now where i live but oh well) already had started. While heat lovers of the southern hemishpere arent that unhappy (except flight simmer) cause days arent THAT cold yet.
And the cold lovers in the northern hemishpere arent still THAT unhappy cause hot temps didnt start fully yet.
So my question is...is May the month where everyone in this forum is more happy about the weather? Or, let me put it this way....is may the month in where everyone is less unhappy about the weather in this forum?
I live on the East Coast of the USA and have to say, our weather has been beyond unpredictable so it is hard to say which kind of weather we like here. Last October, we had a powerful snowstorm that put us out of power for a full week and then some. We had to resort to candles, our fireplace and storing our food outside in the snow. Once the snow melted away and the power came back, we went into what was suppose to be winter...no snow at all came. In March, our temperatures hit 80 degrees and most of our spring flowers got totally confused and bloomed early. April came along and the temperatures dropped and things got more seasonal but we also lost the flowers that had bloomed too early in March.

Well, here it is May and we have received the much needed rain we were lacking but the temperatures have yet to get much over 65 degrees. It has been very strange. We do enjoy the spring but if I did have to pick my NORMAL happy season time, it would be the Fall with all the beautiful colors, crisp clean air, good smells...sigh..

Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I'm generally ok with May, particularly the first half.
However it is a definite transition month, and can be prone to bouts of rut-like weather with coolish, windy and overcast or drizzly conditions as June approaches.
I prefer the milder and sunny weather of April that just finished.
It is still infinitely better than high summer though.
Do you get snow during your winter months? Your winter months are our Spring and Summer months here in the states right?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
May may be a good time of year for N.H. heat lovers and S.H. cold lovers, but it's pretty bad for S.H. heat lovers and N.H. cold lovers. In a good chunk of the Northern Hemisphere, May is the beginning of a long, hard slog that is summer, the bane of any heat hater.

I'd agree that the feelings overall are more muted, but don't mistake that for everyone being happy.
You sure got that right.

The thing is, these days, you really can't much difference between May and high summer - the trees are the same, the flowers are long gone, and the grass is just as sun-scorched as it is in August. May is just the same as June, July, August and September - it all runs together as one, lonnnnngggg god-forsaken summer.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
No way, May is far too cold here to be happy. The average high is only a lame 14°C with many days well below that especially in a cold May like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather