Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you like more?
Moscow 18 62.07%
Edmonton 11 37.93%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know which subarctic or arctic places PM has actually been to in the winter...

Last edited by deneb78; 05-07-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:28 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Honestly when I used to see some posters jump on rather extreme climates (either very hot or very cold) I would wonder the same thing; whether they are just dreaming of a very hot or very cold escape and don't realize the ordeals of an extreme climate. After reading posts on this forum for a while, I realize most (though I have doubts on a few ) of the posters here know what they are talking about; many are surprisingly well traveled and almost all are obviously familiar what different weather conditions are like. At worst, in my view, that comment was presupposing a preference for mild non-severe climates.
That comment was presupposing more than that . Most here do know what they're talking about, and know what they want out of a climate, myself included. I'd especially say this for winter fans, who aren't nearly as approved of in Western society as people who want warmth and heat (thus the "peer pressure" effect is absent).

Quote:
I find it hard to rate some of the climates far outside my experience. I gave (more earlier than now) high grades to many tropical climates but looking back I'm unsure how much I'd like those conditions long-term. And while some tropical climates have similar days to the hotter more humid days here, the coldest days Edmonton gets are likely outside my experience.
Climates that feature weather outside of what you've experienced inherently involve more guesswork than ones you're intimately familiar with, but that's no excuse for ignorance. One can analyze how one reacts and the comfort levels and feelings of different levels of cold and extrapolate downward, in many instance 20 or 40 degrees below what's regularly experienced by the person. It also helps to compare your reactions with a person who has experienced much colder conditions than you have. An example would be a person who feels biting cold when it's around 0F, and can't stand anything below -20F. If, in contrast, you're perfectly fine at 0F, then it's likely -20F won't be nearly as much of a problem. One can also mathematically extrapolate using this method; if the same feelings of cold occur at differing thresholds, let's say a 10F or 20F difference, then you can extrapolate all the way down (or up in the case of heat). I have never had the fortune of being in a boreal climate in winter or summer, but I have been in the type of cold that is featured in Edmonton's averages, and I savored every second of it. Make of that what you will. As for the coldest weather, I can extrapolate downward and tell that I'd really like its cold spells. So far in my life my extrapolations and guesses have been totally accurate, so I have no concerns about that. I can really only guess when it comes to cold like Vostok Station gets, but I don't like that climate anyway (in any case I'd probably tolerate it better than some). I have also had extensive experience with windstorms and snow, so I know what I'm talking about with the severe weather. In fact I'd say that my craving for a severe weather or climate intensifies and my preferences harden when I get severe winter weather where I live. That doesn't sound like escapism to me (aside from wanting to escape from a climate that one doesn't like).

The surefire way to tell if someone is just moaning about their weather instead of having a genuine preference is if their craving for cold is intense in summer and wanes a lot in winter, or if they switch to moaning about the cold in winter. Some people are like that, though fortunately I've only seen very few like that post in this forum.

As for tropical climates, I don't think the hottest nights where you live get up to the upper 70's or over 80 Fahrenheit as in some of these climates, so if I'm not mistaken you're extrapolating, too .

Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
I chose Edmonton, and admittedly I've never experienced a winter that cold. Not even close. But the only months that look truly brutal to me are December, Januarary, and February. Those three months experience daytime highs that I've only experienced in moderate numbers, and overnight lows that I've only experienced rarely. April through October, temperature-wise, looks similar to my current climate (and it looks nice to me). But the record lows for Edmonton are crazy. I might get sick of the winters after a couple of years, but it's not like I'd be scurrying back to TN and sweltering summers afterward, though.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I chose Edmonton, and admittedly I've never experienced a winter that cold. Not even close. But the only months that look truly brutal to me are December, Januarary, and February. Those three months experience daytime highs that I've only experienced in moderate numbers, and overnight lows that I've only experienced rarely. April through October, temperature-wise, looks similar to my current climate (and it looks nice to me). But the record lows for Edmonton are crazy. I might get sick of the winters after a couple of years, but it's not like I'd be scurrying back to TN and sweltering summers afterward, though.
As a cyclist perhaps this might help you imagine what it's like there:

Winter Cycling « Breaking Chains and Taking Lanes

particularly this post

It’s So Cold That… « Breaking Chains and Taking Lanes

It does seem interesting to experience but I'd rather pass.

Photo reminds me...When I walked to class in the winter during college, I'd rush out the door without bothering to dry my hair. Sometime while walking, I'd notice my hair felt hard and stuff. Took me a while to realize it was frozen solid. Was nowhere near as cold as that link (only low to mid teens °F maybe single digits)

Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Yeah, that is seriously cold. Just looking at the averages I find myself thinking, "Wow, that's cold, but nothing I haven't experienced before." But then I remember that the average overnight lows in January in my hometown are something like 29, but it's not uncommon to wake up to much colder temperatures than that. So if the average low in January in Edmonton is 3.2, I imagine they get plenty of mornings that are well below that. And the coldest temperature I've experienced in recent years (when I can actually remember what it felt like) was...3. I definitely think I'd get tired of it before long. But like I said, that doesn't mean I'd seek out a place that's hot year round, it just means I'd wonder why I left Bellingham.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yeah, that is seriously cold. Just looking at the averages I find myself thinking, "Wow, that's cold, but nothing I haven't experienced before." But then I remember that the average overnight lows in January in my hometown are something like 29, but it's not uncommon to wake up to much colder temperatures than that. So if the average low in January in Edmonton is 3.2, I imagine they get plenty of mornings that are well below that. And the coldest temperature I've experienced in recent years (when I can actually remember what it felt like) was...3. I definitely think I'd get tired of it before long. But like I said, that doesn't mean I'd seek out a place that's hot year round, it just means I'd wonder why I left Bellingham.
My town's January average is 14°F, but January 2009 averaged 4.6°F.

Looks like Bellingham actually has a warmer overnight January low than your hometown.

You look at the link of the bike blog? I found it fun to flip through.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My town's January average is 14°F, but January 2009 averaged 4.6°F.

Looks like Bellingham actually has a warmer overnight January low than your hometown.

You look at the link of the bike blog? I found it fun to flip through.
Yes, our January overnight lows here are a good 5-6 degrees warmer than the Nashville area, but I think the average highs are similar.

I just now had a chance to look through the blog more thoroughly, and it definitely shows you what a different experience it is to bike commute there. Or heck, just living there in general. I think I'll stick with my mild summers and winters for now!

Old 05-08-2012, 04:36 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
wow, edmonton winters are super brutal!!!!!!!!!!!!! Being a heat hater and all, and liking somewhat cool temperatures, i find those winters horrible!!! too much too freezing too depressing. Really bad!
Meanwhile, the weather from May to september looks lovely!

Moscow winters are less brutal, but they are too dark. All sunshine hours concentrated in the summer. Climate in Moscow from May till september looks wonderful as well!.

Both places are way to cold for me and i dont like either of them, but Moscow is better than Edmonton. Having to live your everyday life in -20 temperatures seems as bad as having to live it in 40c to me.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM

839 posts, read 3,073,812 times
It's a tough choice, but I'll go with Edomonton. Mainly for higher sunshine hours, and because, even though it's colder, I guess it's more livable due to the dryness. But anyway, I'm extrapolating here, because I've never been below -5 C (23 F), hehe.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
I went to college in a place that had a very similar winter climate to Edmonton.. (i.e. Ottawa, Ontario).. so I have experience with these kinds of temperatures. By the 2nd winter.. I was totally fed up with the cold and snow and wanted to get the heck out of there. I actually was dreading and feeling depressed about the winter by the time October came around.. this was something that was foreign to me in a climate so in a way I can relate to you heat haters from the US south who feel that way about your summer. It was then that I truly knew I was a heat lover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather