Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

http://iceagenow.info/2012/05/headin...strophysicist/

Little Ice Age (Maunder-Dalton) circulation patterns are emerging and more rapid world cooling is taking over,” says astrophysicist Piers Corbyn.

“The Sun’s magnetic field is getting into a muddle as one half of it changes out of step with the other and this muddled behavior is likely to become very marked in MAY,” says Corbyn.

“The sun is entering a ‘muddled’ magnetic state. This strange behavior was pointed out by Japanese researchers from the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan and the Riken research foundation* who say this was the sort of behavior which probably took place during low periods of solar activity in the past** and which drove the world into a cold state of longer winters, cold Spring months and lousy summers

Eg the Maunder Minimum around 350 years ago and the Dalton Minima around 200 years ago.
http://climaterealists.com/index.php?id=9474
http://climaterealists.com/index.php?id=9494

Entire Piers Article: http://www.weatheraction.com/display....asp?a=451&c=5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
He's a nutter.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
He's a nutter.
I agree. So sad someone with a title of "astrophysicist" needs to exaggerate to get attention yet continues to fail. None of his short term forecasts come true. What a shame.

He falls in same category as Joe Bastardi "entertainment only"

Old 05-08-2012, 09:58 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
He has no credibility in the UK and hopefully nowhere else. Every single hyperbolic seasonal "prediction" I have seen has turn out to be fallacious rubbish and his so called methods including solar activity driving weather patterns in particular areas has absolutely no scientific foundation and he is full of absolute crap.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
seriously? tell that to BA, wich every year is getting hotter and sunnier summmers, hotter and sunnier spring, hotter and sunniers autumns (hey, we are in May, middle of fall, and still in the 70fs), and sunny and warm winters, lol.
Plus, every month is always above average, so clearly the city is getting warmer.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
It's too bad that he's a nutter - I'd very much for him to be correct in his forecasts.

Until someone can prove me otherwise, I'm still in the warming camp, at least for this part of the country.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM

355 posts, read 977,313 times
Piers Corbyn is full of ****.

He's been predicting a little ice age every winter for the last decade. Sure, Britain will most likely get colder during the winter, Central Europe will get warmer, but experience more severe cold snaps, all due to a lessening of the temperature gradient in the high latitudes due to a more pronounced warming of the poles, and specifically, the north pole, causing a decreased NAO, but overall, the planet will warm.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 AM

But we dont have Dinosaur Farts to warm the Earth anymore.. lmfao

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17953792

Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 AM

839 posts, read 3,074,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
seriously? tell that to BA, wich every year is getting hotter and sunnier summmers, hotter and sunnier spring, hotter and sunniers autumns (hey, we are in May, middle of fall, and still in the 70fs), and sunny and warm winters, lol.
Plus, every month is always above average, so clearly the city is getting warmer.
I agree BA is getting warmer, but not every month is always above average. Fortunately, July is one of the few months that have steadily recorded either very little above average, or below average. In the past years, the period June-July is one of the least affected by the warmth, I think. (I haven't read this anywhere, it's just my impressions based on memories of stats, I maybe wrong, though).

Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
I agree BA is getting warmer, but not every month is always above average. Fortunately, July is one of the few months that have steadily recorded either very little above average, or below average. In the past years, the period June-July is one of the least affected by the warmth, I think. (I haven't read this anywhere, it's just my impressions based on memories of stats, I maybe wrong, though).
Lets hope this remains like that! The only thing thats left is that our little but lovely winter dissapears! we already lost our autumn!! June and July are my hope for CONSISNTENTLY cold days. Or, lets put it this way: consistently NOT WARM days! Like, an entire month withouth a 25 celsius day or a 20 celsius night like we got a lot in May, and of course in April!

Please, god, let it June be a month FREE of 20 celsius nights!!!!

How uncommon are 20 celsius nights in June/july, sanfel? I mean how is the percentage? I wanna know that i WONT be getting ANY 20 ceslius night in 2 months!! is this even possible or am i dreaming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather