U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which icy abode would you choose?
Patricius Maximus's Climate 20 58.82%
Dxiweodwo's Climate 13 38.24%
David Aguilar's Climate 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:09 PM

5,562 posts, read 6,053,401 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that this forum has been lacking in dream climate battles recently, so I decided to create a novel one, with three dream climates battling for your votes. Since my dream climate has already gone up against Dhdh's tropical climate, I decided to try something a bit different.

Woe be unto the heat lovers: this time you will have a choice between my dream climate, David Aguilar's dream climate, and Dxiweodwo's dream climate. All of these climates are cold, but have distinct differences, and should present an interesting choice for anyone, be you winter's best friend or worst enemy. My dream climate, Patricianopolis, features very cold and snowy winters along with mild summers. Dxiweodwo's dream climate has somewhat hot summers, but at the cost of an even colder winter than Patricianopolis. David Aguilar's dream climate is much milder in the winter than either of the former two, the only catch being that it never gets any warmer.

For what it's worth, the Koeppen classifications are outlined below:
Dxiweodwo's dream climate, Dfc
David Aguilar's dream climate: EF
My dream climate, Dsc

---------------------

January: -3/-19 Plenty of snow; and windy
February: 3/-15 Same as January
March: 16/-3 Same as February
April: 32/16 Same as March
May: 50/28 Last snow coming on May 15th
June: 73/47 Sunny days, clear nights, storms at the end of month
July: 81/56 Lots of storms....
August: 77/50 Storms in the beginning of the month, cooler and crisper at the end
September: 52/30, First frost of season coming on September 5th, first snow on the 20th
October: 34/15, Cold and crisp with the last fall colors of the season in the beginning of the month.....Snow, windy, and cold with bare trees at the end
November: 15/-5 Snowy and windy
December: 2/-17 Snowy......but not as windy

Mean annual average snowfall: 170"
Average first frost: September 5th
Average last frost: June 5th

Does any place like this exist? sounds like central Quebec between 50 and 54 degrees north latitude.

---------------------

High 32F
Low 20F

Two or three snowstorms a week.

All year long.

Added in: I assumed that by snowstorm he meant something around 3 inches as an average storm total. It works out pretty well. I also assumed a snow to water ratio of 15 to 1, since some of the snow will undoubtedly be powdery.

---------------------

Average Annual Snowfall: 236.04, usually between Sep and May, with Jun snow being uncommon and Jul-Aug snow being rare

[...]

Patricianopolis has a Koeppen classification of Dsc (Dry Summer Continental Subarctic). It takes most after Winnipeg, with winters being similar, but with much more snowfall (sort of like Yellowstone) and weaker warm spells. Springs are also somewhat similar, but colder and with a seasonal lead similar to Fairbanks, Alaska. It also takes cues from Alberta and Colorado, with weather being variable and quite unstable; in many ways, it's a colder version of an Alberta Spring. Summers are quite mild but still warm, being most like a coastal Alaska or Northern Scandanavian Summer, but with a dry season typical of the Mediterranean climates of the Pacific Northwest. Autumns do not really take after any real-world location, but are somewhat similar to Northern Scandanavia, but much more variable, and a sudden onset of winter weather.

In summary, this climate can be best thought of as a hybrid of Winnipeg, Northern Scandanavia, Coastal Alaska, the Pacific Northwest, Alberta, and Yellowstone.

It also is very windy, with gale-force gusts being commonplace at all times of the year (even in summer), with 50+ mph gusts being common outside of summer. Hurricane-force wind events usually occur a few times a year (however, power outages are no worry because all lines are located underground by necessity ). Blizzard conditions are a common, regular occurrence between November and March, sometimes reaching severe blizzard criteria. It is common to have winds sustained over 20 mph for 5 consecutive days. Days with light and variable winds are a novelty. Also note that all the heat in the summer (which can sometimes exceed 80 degrees for a week at a time) is dry heat, and often gets very dry (humidity <10%) during heat waves (when the temp is more than 85). Windy conditions are common when it gets hot. Dry months in summer can in some years create dust storms, but they are rarely severe.

Low temperatures in summer are usually quite stable, staying in the 40's regardless of the high temperature (in fact, during heat waves the dry conditions often cause low temps to cool off to the low 40's). Variance down to 35 or up to 55 is normal, but usually fleeting. Dew points or low temperatures above 60 are rare. There have been periods where years have gone by with no lows of 50 or warmer.

A final note: Thunder is commonplace here at all times of the year, occuring in winter from thundersnow-producing blizzards, and in the summer from synoptic thunderstorms. All months average around 5 thunder days. In wetter summers, there can be severe thunderstorm outbreaks producing extremely strong derechos and some hail and tornadoes, but usually not a great deal of rain.

---------------------

As for myself, I pick my own dream climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 05:26 PM

2,702 posts, read 4,430,317 times
I would loathe living in either of those climates; but :

dxiweodwo's climate (D-) gets my vote thanks to its relatively warm summers.

Patricianopolis (F+) comes second;

David Aguilar's is an absolute nightmare and gets a straight F- from me due to sub-freezing summers - unspeakable horror

Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 PM

641 posts, read 789,269 times
I'll go with Patricianopolis climate

Dxiweodwo 2nd

David Aguilar....a very distant 3rd

Patricianopolis climate looks more realistic to me, like north coast of
Labrador type climate, like Nain

Dxiweodwo is more extreme, shoulder seasons are colder (not good)
and a too warm summer. Somewhere in Siberia might have a similiar climate, not sure.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,958,700 times
Patricianopolis actually wins! The second is a total write off for me ( looks like the top of a Colombian mountain ), and the first, while having better summers, likely has an even shorter summer period. On balance I'd go for a five month spring over a three month summer.

The only thing I wonder is with all that snow and not exactly soaring temps in the warm period, how long does it take to melt?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:02 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,350,520 times
Patricianopolis for me - it really does have the best of all worlds for my own preferences.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:09 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,249,449 times
None are very close to my ideal but Dx....'s is the best out of these options.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:15 PM

5,562 posts, read 6,053,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
The only thing I wonder is with all that snow and not exactly soaring temps in the warm period, how long does it take to melt?
In Nain, the snowpack melts away in early July from what I've seen, and it's much colder and snowier (6 inches in June) in springtime than my climate. I think the extra 4 feet of snow would be more than made up for by the lesser amount of snow in May and June, and the temperatures in May and June being 10F warmer in my climate. In an average year the snowpack is melted by mid June at the latest. If I had to guess I'd say by the end of May.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 PM

9,669 posts, read 10,970,575 times
I think I'd have to go with Dxiweodwo's climate.. it actually has a month of the year that I'd enjoy

Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,737 posts, read 39,610,543 times
In David Aguilar's climate snow would never melt. Lack of any relatively warm period is no fun. Most likely it's atop a glacier. No thanks.

Dxiweodwo's climate has horribly cold winters and a colder shoulder seasons than Patricianopolis. I don't think Dxiweodwo's climate exists anywhere. Summers are too warm for central Quebec. Would curious if there's a close match and to see if someone could prove me wrong.

Patricianopolis shoulder seasons are surprisingly not a complete horror. Snowfall enormous and winters far colder than I care to experience but less unimaginable than Dxiweodwo's climate.

So Patricianopolis it is.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 AM

9,745 posts, read 13,649,795 times
Patricianopolis for me, though that's a LOT more snow than I care to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or