U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which one has your overall favorite climate?
Batumi 3 21.43%
Dushanbe 3 21.43%
Lankaran 3 21.43%
Baku 1 7.14%
Bishkek 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:20 AM

4,794 posts, read 4,765,835 times
Default Batumi vs. Dushanbe vs. Lankaran vs. Baku vs. Bishkek

All 5 or at least 4 out of 5 of these places have different types of 4 seasons climates.

Batumi is in the Caucasus region of Eurasia in the country of Georgia. (Not to be confused with the state of Georgia in the USA. They are very different places!) Batumi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dushanbe is in the country of Tajikistan Dushanbe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lankaran is in the country of Azerbaijan. Lankaran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baku is also in the country of Azerbaijan Baku - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bishkek is in the country of Kyrgyzstan Bishkek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 02:24 AM

4,794 posts, read 4,765,835 times
Overall, it is a close competition, but when all factors are averaged together, I pick Lankaran, which is a B climate for me. It gets a decent amount of 4 seasons weather, and close to ideal annual sunshine/precipitation pattern. My only complaint is I prefer winters a bit colder. If winters were on average a bit colder it would probably get an A- instead.

I prefer Bishkek’s temperatures, which is close to my dream climate temperature ideals, and has more of the 4 seasons weather I am looking for that in particular, but it is just too dry annually so it can’t win for this. Bishkek weather is a B/B-. If Bishkek had a bit more annual precipitation, it would actually win, and it is still very close to being a tie with Lankaran.

Actually, Bishkek seems like a much drier version of Chicago but with the same temperatures. Chicago gets a B+ from me.

I am also a fan of Batumi weather, and it is a unique interesting climate too, but it is just a bit too mild annually, and maybe a bit too much annual precipitation, especially in the summer. It still gets a B/B- from me, which is still a good grade.

For the more strict definition Batumi may not have a 4 seasons climate but with the less strict and more loose definition it does have 4 seasons.

Dushanbe weather is at the lower end of B- and that is good enough for my weather preferences too.

The one that is decisively in last place and by far the only undesirable weather is Baku, which gets a D/D-. Way too dry annually in desert territory and actually quite cloudy for having desert annual precipitation.

It is ironic that Lankaran is only 150 miles away/2 hours and a half away by car/bus from Baku yet it has such a different climate and Lankaran is 1st place while Baku is last place for me.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 AM

1,158 posts, read 681,153 times
toss up between Baku and Dushanbe. Geez, look how warm Baku's summer lows are at 40N Warmer than the summer high pretty much anywhere along coastal Tasmania and warmer than even Brisbane!!!!

But, Dushanbe has better highs and more sunshine....

Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,694,600 times
After some close consideration, I would have to go for Dushanbe.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 AM

504 posts, read 375,091 times
Batumi

I guess I could get used to the rain days. I think, despite the rain, sunshine is okay, around 2300 hrs I think.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM

5,042 posts, read 2,570,168 times
All of these places are too warm in the winter, and are all unacceptable except for Bishkek. They're all too hot in summer, but I find Bishkek's summers to be the most tolerable. The low humidity really helps out in that sort of situation. Bishkek likely gets the most snow out of these five places as well. So, for me Bishkek offers the best all-around choice.

I like these Asian climate battles, especially Central Asia (that region is full of climatological curiosities), but you could have done a much better job of picking four-season climates. All of these except Bishkek are subtropical climates with warm winters, and all of them except Bishkek don't retain a snowpack (even Bishkek is right on the line). There are far better choices available in Central Asia. Most of these climates are quite weak when it comes to the four seasons. However, this climate battle is interesting enough.

I also just noticed that strangely enough Bishkek has the same precipitation pattern as my dream climate. Mine has roughly double the amounts, but the basic pattern is the same - spring and autumn being the wettest, with a drier period in winter, and another stronger dry period in summer.

Bishkek is one of those Mediterranean climates that pop up in the interior of Asia, and perhaps that Mediterranean influence produces that sort of pattern when it's deep in the interior of a continent. So perhaps my own fictional continent and its precipitation pattern, with a Mediterranean influence far into the interior is more realistic than I even dreamed of .

Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM
B87

2,864 posts, read 1,293,143 times
Dushanbe wins. Batumi would win if it wasn't ridiculously wet, and all the others are too cold in winter.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 PM

4,425 posts, read 1,749,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Overall, it is a close competition, but when all factors are averaged together, I pick Lankaran, which is a B climate for me. It gets a decent amount of 4 seasons weather, and close to ideal annual sunshine/precipitation pattern. My only complaint is I prefer winters a bit colder. If winters were on average a bit colder it would probably get an A- instead.

I prefer Bishkek’s temperatures, which is close to my dream climate temperature ideals, and has more of the 4 seasons weather I am looking for that in particular, but it is just too dry annually so it can’t win for this. Bishkek weather is a B/B-. If Bishkek had a bit more annual precipitation, it would actually win, and it is still very close to being a tie with Lankaran.

Actually, Bishkek seems like a much drier version of Chicago but with the same temperatures. Chicago gets a B+ from me.

I am also a fan of Batumi weather, and it is a unique interesting climate too, but it is just a bit too mild annually, and maybe a bit too much annual precipitation, especially in the summer. It still gets a B/B- from me, which is still a good grade.

For the more strict definition Batumi may not have a 4 seasons climate but with the less strict and more loose definition it does have 4 seasons.

Dushanbe weather is at the lower end of B- and that is good enough for my weather preferences too.

The one that is decisively in last place and by far the only undesirable weather is Baku, which gets a D/D-. Way too dry annually in desert territory and actually quite cloudy for having desert annual precipitation.

It is ironic that Lankaran is only 150 miles away/2 hours and a half away by car/bus from Baku yet it has such a different climate and Lankaran is 1st place while Baku is last place for me.
Pretty much my thoughts, though I'm not sure that I would put Batumi over Dushanbe.
Anyway it's a shame that Bishkek is so dry. That's the main flaw of Central Asian climates compared to their North American counterparts: at the same temps, they're generally much drier, which spoils them quite a bit.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:40 PM

14,402 posts, read 7,898,619 times
Bishek

Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 PM

5,634 posts, read 4,031,368 times
I'd have to go with Batumi.. with Dushanbe a close second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather