Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,655,425 times

Advertisements

Anyone been following the low that has been bringing rain to Florida? It is forcast to further develop and if it manages to be a named storm, it will be Jerry. There is an upper level high that will keep it from coming our way until sometime on Monday I believe.

Everyone along the Gulf Coast has been made aware of this, at least on the MS side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 10:48 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,384,632 times
Angel, I'm glad you posted this. I haven't watched the weather channel since early this morning. I just read my email and a friend in Tx. said they're watching to see if it'll turn into anything cause it's heading that direction now. Kind of strange cause Fla. hasn't been getting slammed like normal this year and other areas have been.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 PM

I know. This one kind of meandered it's way from the eastern side of Florida over to the Gulf. What happens next is anyones guess as it has become a bit stationary and if it continues to do so, the high might weakern or move on off to the north, although it is supposed to come on down south a bit. It is a wait and see situation.

where is Anthony with all our answers?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:00 PM

Once a disturbance hits the Gulf, doesn't it usually intensify or isn't that always the case? How far do you live from the coast?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 PM

I'm six hours north of the coast so what we will get is rain by early next week, but we need the rain.

According to the Weather Channel, there are quite a few storms that develop in the Gulf. The surface sea temps of the Gulf are conducive to tropical systems forming, currently the temps are mid to upper 80's so are quite warm, put warm waters together with a low and you get tropical systems. How strong can only be determined by how long it stays over warm waters before landfall. I belive if it does form, it will not make a large or strong storm, unless it sits there and circles around itself or goes west and hits western la or texas.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:33 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,202,284 times
Since I have just to moved to the Houston area and this is my first "hurricane" season I have been following all the storms closely. The weather here in Houston seems to be forecasting it to hit Louisiana instead of us but then they qualified it and said that can't be totally sure what it is going to do. Doesn't give you a lot of confidence. I have been a huge bundle of nerves every time a storm enters the gulf since I have never been through this before I don't know what to expect. Kinda scary for me.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 AM

Well Ladies and Gents, we officially have a sub tropical depression #10 on our hands and tropical storm warnings have been posted for parts of the Gulf Coast. Oh boy...

Old 09-21-2007, 10:14 AM

23,002 posts, read 34,321,507 times
Yes I am watching it! I pay close attention to anything that forms during hurricane season, look at Humberto about a week ago and how fast it formed.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:34 AM

Oh my, that doesn't sound good. I have to apologize to the people in Tx. I am a weather jinx and have always been that way.

We normally take an autumn vacation and we've been looking around. Alabama looked interesting, but we decided against that. We had done a bit of research since we'd never been to the desert, but decided against that. This morning they showed a huge explosion at a tire factory in Maricopa and we had been looking at that area. Not exactly weather related, but you get my point.

Oklahoma~we were there last year and we really like it there. Remember there awful floods this year???? I think I jinxed them.

Well, we sort of decided we'd rather go some place we've never been to.

So, we finally decided that we would vacation to the Texas gulf coast. We love beaches and the birds and the palms and flowers and plushness. Our plans are to be there in about 4 weeks. SO, hopefully my jinxing has worn off.

Remember 2004 in Fla???? Well, we were there twice that year. One time was the middle of Sept. and we barely slipped inbetween the canes.

There's more, but I don't wanna be burned at the stake so I'll leave it at that.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:53 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,202,284 times
[quote=Jammie;1547777]Oh my, that doesn't sound good. I have to apologize to the people in Tx. I am a weather jinx and have always been that way.

Hey Jammie, I think I am a jinx too. A couple of weeks ago I commented to my husband that wow with all the rain storms we have had here there was a lot of moisture but no winds or damage or anything. Two days later we had an awful storm that knocked down trees and we lost our power for a day. My hubby looked at me funny and told me that if he had known that I had the the ability to call down the lighting and the thunder he might have reconsidered marrying me (Ha Ha).

So don't feel bad you aren't the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather