Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Kunming, China is a possibility although winter highs are slightly higher than BA with much cooler summers.

Kunming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's the one! Though I thought it actually had a winter, which IMO it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:39 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Johannesburg is similar but slightly cooler:

clima

Another EXCELLENT climate!

wow you guys are awesome! thanks Rwood!

Both winters (this and kumning) are too warm in the highs (nice in the lows, though) and winters are too short. But both summers seem perfect and winters super sunny!

Johannesburg is a little too sunny all year long, and Kumning a little too humid, and both need colder winter highs and longer winters. But, besides that, both are excellent climates!

You guys made me realize that i like subtropical highland climates!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:13 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Yeah, maybe looking for percentages will be better.

How do u guys calculate that? where is the info?
This tool is excellent. All you need to input is the latitude, and it will show you the daylight hours for every day. To figure up percentages you take the daylight hours on the 15th of the month (or the 14th in the case of February) and multiply the daylight hours by the number of days in the month (28.25 in the case of February, 30 or 31 for the other months). You then have the maximum number of sun hours possible.

Then take the number of actual sunshine hours and divide it by the number of hours possible. You now have a percentage .

Quote:
Someone should open a thread about ranking Pretoria climate. If it wasnt so sunny and if it were colder in winter and summer highs, it would nearly be a perfect climate for Sophie.

However, im looking for something more wintery (aka colder), is there?
However, you would be advised to look for a place that has higher raw hours in winter, especially considering your preferences for endless winter sun. You're also guaranteed to have higher percentages.

So, what I believe you want is this:

- More sun hours in winter than summer, which usually goes with a dry-winter climate
- Low latitude, so that there is sufficient daylight hours
- Distinct winters that have some chill to them

Somewhere in Tibet or in Yunnan Province in China probably satisfies these criteria. Although the sunshine data from available locations (which is sparse) doesn't have a greater amount of hours in winter, there are probably areas that do. Plus all of your other preferences are met. Some places don't have much of a winter at all, others average in the 40's Fahrenheit for highs, and others go in the 20's and 30's Fahrenheit. Below are some Wikipedia articles on Tibetan locations:

Qamdo
Shigatse
Nyingchi
Nagchu
Lhasa

And Yunnan locations:

Lijiang

Lincang
Deqen
Kunming

I recommend Lijiang. It seems to suit you the best. It's a tad cooler in winter than Johannesburg, has a straight-up sunshine peak in winter and a sun trough in summer, and has summers that bear a similarity to Sophieland. You will have to check it out yourself, though.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:27 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
The calculation method above is reasonable, though not perfect - months where the rate of change of daylength is not constant (all of them reaslly, to be pedantic) will be slightly off, though not by much. Also bear in mind that the % values will relate to astronomical daylight - reported hours at most locations will tend to imply slightly lesser percentages, due to either limitations of the instruments or the lack of a completely flat horizon.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:32 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,108 times
Parts of Japan have altogether sunnier winters than summers.

JMA | Normals
Tokyo's sunniest month is January. Nagoya's average summer might be cloudier than its average winter although August is the sunniest month. Sendai's sunniest month is in April, with its summer months being cloudier than winter.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
This tool is excellent. All you need to input is the latitude, and it will show you the daylight hours for every day. To figure up percentages you take the daylight hours on the 15th of the month (or the 14th in the case of February) and multiply the daylight hours by the number of days in the month (28.25 in the case of February, 30 or 31 for the other months). You then have the maximum number of sun hours possible.

Then take the number of actual sunshine hours and divide it by the number of hours possible. You now have a percentage .

However, you would be advised to look for a place that has higher raw hours in winter, especially considering your preferences for endless winter sun. You're also guaranteed to have higher percentages.

So, what I believe you want is this:

- More sun hours in winter than summer, which usually goes with a dry-winter climate
- Low latitude, so that there is sufficient daylight hours
- Distinct winters that have some chill to them

Somewhere in Tibet or in Yunnan Province in China probably satisfies these criteria. Although the sunshine data from available locations (which is sparse) doesn't have a greater amount of hours in winter, there are probably areas that do. Plus all of your other preferences are met. Some places don't have much of a winter at all, others average in the 40's Fahrenheit for highs, and others go in the 20's and 30's Fahrenheit. Below are some Wikipedia articles on Tibetan locations:

Qamdo
Shigatse
Nyingchi
Nagchu
Lhasa

And Yunnan locations:

Lijiang

Lincang
Deqen
Kunming

I recommend Lijiang. It seems to suit you the best. It's a tad cooler in winter than Johannesburg, has a straight-up sunshine peak in winter and a sun trough in summer, and has summers that bear a similarity to Sophieland. You will have to check it out yourself, though.

wow, awesome tool for the sunshine hours. Just found that the sunshine for BA in May is 56%, wich is close to the average of 58% that BA haves in total, wich means that sunshine is evenly distributed through the year in BA, as i thought, wich is awesome! Im gonna be checking those climates you posted now

Old 05-23-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
[url="http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/coordsmotion/daylighthoursexplorer.html"]

Qamdo
Shigatse
Nyingchi
Nagchu
Lhasa

And Yunnan locations:

Lijiang

Lincang
Deqen
Kunming

wow, Lijiang seems to be EXACTLY what i was looking for!!!

winters are more real than in kinming and johannesburg....and sunnier!
summers are cool and the lows are awesome!
Though is a bit colder than i would like in winters lows, i could get used to it, i think i even like it better than kinming and johannesburg warmness! I think Lijiang will be prone to those 9 celsius sunny days that i love, while the other two climates will be more prone to 17 or 20c days. I think Lijiang is AWESOME and exactly what i was looking for when i started this thread!

we have a winner!! Thanks Patricius!
Im tempted to do a thread about Lijiang...is there??

Old 05-28-2012, 01:27 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Although not technically sunnier, due to the latitude, much of Alaska has much clearer skies during the winter months, when the jet stream runs farther south, than they do during the summer months, when the jet stream runs farther north.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:51 PM

839 posts, read 3,073,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Although not technically sunnier, due to the latitude, much of Alaska has much clearer skies during the winter months, when the jet stream runs farther south, than they do during the summer months, when the jet stream runs farther north.
And aren't there data about clear skies -that is, not just whether it's sunny, but whether it's clear, which also includes the nighttime? This way, we would get to know more accurately whether places at high latitudes have clearer skies in the summer.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:36 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
^^

That's interesting. I never considered/thought about that too much before (number of clear/cloudless hours, day or night) rather than just number of sun hours. Is this a type of data often displayed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather