Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do u like Nelson climate?
A 3 3.95%
B 30 39.47%
C 24 31.58%
D 13 17.11%
F 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:38 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,898,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Irrelevant to what?
To NZ having roughly 70,000 cases of skin cancer per year. Sunscreen isn't 100% effective, and in the past you've said that most people like to walk around in shorts and T-Shirts throughout much of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:41 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,361,264 times
Quote:
Older generations didn't grow up with the sun safe message. Younger generations do.

There's always sun block.

Why do you sunbath? I never have -not because of UV , but because the sensation of the sun isn't a good one much of the time.

Do you only enjoy sunshine when sunbathing?

never use sun block Joe - can lay out for 3-4 hours a day and not burn , but seek shade when too intense - hate having to use creams .

love the feeling of the sun - but also like the sun when out and about ,but not too much -too much is worse than no sun - - april - oct is ideal here for me ,UV not too bad - nov,dec,jan,feb,mar sucks from a sunbathing angle as it's either too cold or cloudy ,usually both - and i really cant be arsed to drag myself to the Canaries in winter even when i can afford it - i've pretty much got used to the cloud by Dec - as miserable as it is

why do you not like the sensation of sun on your skin ? i know plenty of folk who dislike it -and even avoid the sun .

Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
To NZ having roughly 70,000 cases of skin cancer per year. Sunscreen isn't 100% effective, and in the past you've said that most people like to walk around in shorts and T-Shirts throughout much of the year.

some folk belive that sunscreen is a possible catalyst - controversial i know . Although somewhere like NZ i would probably seek shade and avoid creams and sun .

sun screen also encourages folk to use it as an all in one shield and expose themselves far ,far longer than if they didn't have use any block - but it can also lead the way to serious burns where someone hasn't covered sufficiently for example

Old 06-27-2017, 02:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,506,216 times
Quote:
The number will decline. The days of lobster red people walking the streets, are pretty much gone.

Repeated sunburn on untanned skin is what needs to be most avoided, as that is what is most inked to fatalities. I never wear sunscreen other than skiing and surfing, but also make sure I don't get burned.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
never use sun block Joe - can lay out for 3-4 hours a day and not burn , but seek shade when too intense - hate having to use creams .

love the feeling of the sun - but also like the sun when out and about ,but not too much -too much is worse than no sun - - april - oct is ideal here for me ,UV not too bad - nov,dec,jan,feb,mar sucks from a sunbathing angle as it's either too cold or cloudy ,usually both - and i really cant be arsed to drag myself to the Canaries in winter even when i can afford it - i've pretty much got used to the cloud by Dec - as miserable as it is

why do you not like the sensation of sun on your skin ?
i know plenty of folk who dislike it -and even avoid the sun .
I like the sensation of sun, but it can be pretty unpleasant for about the worst three months

Old 06-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
The number will decline. The days of lobster red people walking the streets, are pretty much gone.

Repeated sunburn on untanned skin is what needs to be most avoided, as that is what is most inked to fatalities. I never wear sunscreen other than skiing and surfing, but also make sure I don't get burned.
That number still has a long way to fall, and people need to change their lifestyles in order to make that happen. To suggest that high UV levels is non-issue amounts to denial.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
That number still has a long way to fall, and people need to change their lifestyles in order to make that happen. To suggest that high UV levels is non-issue amounts to denial.
It's a non issue. Embracing behaviour that increases the livelihood of developing a cancer, can only be countered by education, to a point.

I think you don't really understand the issue clearly enough, to state that lifestyles need to change.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
It's a non issue. Embracing behaviour that increases the livelihood of developing a cancer, can only be countered by education, to a point.

I think you don't really understand the issue clearly enough, to state that lifestyles need to change.
And why do lifestyles need to change? In order to safely deal with the relatively high UV levels.

You keep trying to dance around the UV intensity, but it underpins this entire issue.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:

as far as Europe is concerned office workers more at risk than farm workers who are exposed more to daylight - so there must be some kinda natural defence mechanism .

yeah, going bright red is an obvious no no

Old 06-27-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I like the sensation of sun, but it can be pretty unpleasant for about the worst three months
could be the very high UV that makes it feel unpleasant - it was 7 here the other day which is high for me ,standard for you ..and it felt UNPLEASANT - it feels like someone is stabbing you with very short blades - i sought shade and waited 2 hours , by late afternoon I was a happy bunny .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather