U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: São Joaquim - SC x Campos do Jordão - SP
São Joaquim - SC 8 50.00%
Campos do Jordão - SP 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 06:03 PM

66 posts, read 81,701 times

Advertisements

I see that you guys are posting some nice coolish subtropical climates here, so why not show what my country has to offer in that aspect.

Despite the fact that Patricius Maximus would sweat in those places, they're considered pretty cold by most of the Brazilians. In fact, Brazil makes any cold lover disappointed - 90% of the landmass is tropical and the highest peak (~3000m) in the country lies in the middle of the equatorial forest. In contrast, the South has mostly flatlands and not-high-enough highlands, making a climate with yearly snowfall inexistent in Brazil.

São Joaquim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

São Joaquim is considered by some the coldest city in the country. It gets a little bit of snow every few years and people go crazy about it. I find the temperatures quite nice (summers could be a little bit warmer, though), but I don't really like the constant rainfall amount throughout the year. Too much gloomy and sticky, also makes the already tame winter have even warmer nights. I would give it a B-.

Campos do Jordão - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Campos do Jordão is probably the coldest city in the Southeastern Brazil, thanks to its formidable elevation in the old mountains of the Serra da Mantiqueira. The precipitation pattern is reminiscent of Central Brazil, with the wet season wetter because of orographic rain. I find the temperatures nice, however the winter could be a little longer. I give it a B.
(And I loathe the fact that the city, which should be cozy and developed, has become a touristic destination for teenagers to drink and make stupid things...)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM

5,562 posts, read 6,053,401 times
Me sweat? Looking at the data, I have to agree. From a winter fan's perspective, Brazil is at the bottom of the barrel. However, I still support taking the cool subtropical climate theme and taking it as far as we can go.

As far as Brazil and the tropics go, these two are in fact not that bad. Summer temperatures max out in the 70's Fahrenheit, though I imagine the humidity is far from low. The main problem is that neither of these places has a winter .

I choose Campos do Jordão. It's cooler at night in the winter, with still enough precipitation to not preclude the possibility of snowfall should it get cold enough. It also has much more rain in summer, which along with the associated clouds would be welcome given the prevailing temperatures.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,958,700 times
Campos de Jordao here, too - more of a dry season, warmer winters.

It's a tribute to Brazil's climate diversity, but I'd have the first ticket to Florianopolis as soon I got the opportunity.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 PM

829 posts, read 1,897,142 times
Sao Joaquim for me. Summers are less rainy and winters more rainy than in Campos do Jordao. As temperatures go, both are quite nice. Summers are great, whereas winters are not cold enough. All in all, if I had to live in Brazil, I'd choose one of these cities for sure.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 PM

24,709 posts, read 26,777,106 times
The temperatures in both places are fairly pleasant but both get too much rain. I bet neither place is very sunny, either.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,944,887 times
Nice!! didnt know Brazil could have such lovely climates!
i need to know sunshine hours to chose, what are the sunshine hours for those places?

guided only by temperatures i chose san joaquin, wich seems like a cool year round climate that i could actually love! (as long as is sunny enough, of course!)

Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 PM

9,669 posts, read 10,970,575 times
Campos do Jordão for me.. drier and warmer daytime highs in the winter and probably more sunshine hours too.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,249,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Campos de Jordao here, too - more of a dry season, warmer winters.

It's a tribute to Brazil's climate diversity, but I'd have the first ticket to Florianopolis as soon I got the opportunity.
I agree about Florianapolis. It is Brazil's best climate and gets a B grade all on its own.

For this thread, I prefer São Joaquim even though it doesn't really have a dry season.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 AM

66 posts, read 81,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
guided only by temperatures i chose san joaquin, wich seems like a cool year round climate that i could actually love! (as long as is sunny enough, of course!)
Well, I can tell from experience that Campos is pretty sunny in the Winter, with lovely blue skies and crisp temperatures. However, I can imagine that Summer is a lot gloomier due to high precipitation. São Joaquim doesn't look much sunny also.
If I had to guess, I'd say Campos gets more sunshine yearly.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,610,543 times
They both look like nice climates but the high summer rainfall of Campos do Jordão makes me wonder if I'd be rained out a lot in the summer (when I'd want to be outside the most).

So, São Joaquim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or