Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 11:22 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times

Advertisements

May still holds the crown for "highest temperature of the year"... 25.8°C / 78.4°F..... we hit 25.0°C / 77.0°F today - May's figure will stand as the warmest for the entire year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Today was kind of annoying - the actual temperature wasn't really an issue (80F) but the high dew points (66F) and humidity (71%) make me feel constantly warm/hot.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
my forecast:

A COLD FRONT WILL BRING SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS...SOME
LOCALLY STRONG TO SEVERE TO THE REGION INTO EARLY THIS EVENING. HIGH
PRESSURE BRINGS A RETURN TO DRY...WARM AND LESS HUMID WEATHER FOR
WEDNESDAY. A FRONTAL BOUNDARY WILL THEN STALL ACROSS THE REGION LATE
THIS WEEK INTO THE WEEKEND...BRINGING ROUNDS OF SCATTERED SHOWERS
AND THUNDERSTORMS. CONDITIONS LOOK TO GRADUALLY IMPROVE EARLY NEXT
WEEK.

note the cold front is lowering humidity more than daytime temperatures. and tomorrow:

A GEM OF A DAY AND PROBABLY THE PICK OF THE WEEK AS DEEP LAYER RIDGE
BUILDS OVER NEW ENGLAND.
A REFRESHING NNW WIND UP TO 25 MPH DURING
THE MORNING WILL EASE IN THE AFTN. 850 TEMPS AROUND +11C COMBINED
WITH MIXING TO 800 MB ALONG WITH SOME DOWNSLOPE WIND WILL YIELD
HIGHS IN THE LOW TO MID 80S IN THE COASTAL PLAIN...SLIGHTLY COOLER
HIGHER TERRAIN AND CAPE COD AND ISLANDS WITH NNW WIND.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
78°F when I went to bed. My bedroom was 65°F when I woke up. Had fans running overnight. Living room (no fans) was 72°F and it gets less sun exposure but also has less windows.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Eh. No thanks. There's plenty of time for that the rest of the year.
I could say the same thing about your dream climate's 50-80F temperatures in the other 9 months of the year . By the time temperatures cool down to comfortable levels for me in most US/UK climates or to what I'd like to have in summer or early autumn, winter usually has started or is quickly approaching, and for me that is "too little, too late" in its purest form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
An article noted how there may be few if any bikinis worn at the women's beach volleyball competition because of it....
I like it better that way, since I am of the view that athletes should conduct themselves with more dignity than a fashion model or sunbather. Plus, the Olympians played just fine without bikinis in past games, so I don't think the athletics will be affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I'll be ready for the cold weather....in November.
Aw, come on. Why can't you and your fellow partners in warmth be honest and say you don't want cold weather or four seasons ?

For what it's worth, I admit that I am never ready for hot weather or warm nights. I wouldn't mind if it never got above 65F. On the other hand I also don't mind occasional 70's or fleeting 80's in summertime. I am ready, though, for warm weather (60-75F) starting in April and May. As for cold weather, believe it or not I'm actually ready for that right now, but if I got a summer that was as cool as I like, I'd like to hold off on any cold (<30F) until after Labor Day.

I know that pledge sounds as hollow to you as a heat-lover not wanting any hot weather until after March 1 would sound to me, but there is a distinct difference between cold/cold snaps for 12 months and cold/cold snaps for 9 months.

Quote:
...and by then, if I'm lucky, I'll be in Florida for most of the winter.
I guess you're not quite as ready as you let on .

Old 07-25-2012, 09:04 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
After a couple of warm and muggy days, today is pleasantly dry...75 F with a dewpoint of 53 F at 11AM. Tomorrow and Friday look nasty though with a return to hotter temperatures and higher humidity.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

Aw, come on. Why can't you and your fellow partners in warmth be honest and say you don't want cold weather or four seasons ?

For what it's worth, I admit that I am never ready for hot weather or warm nights. I wouldn't mind if it never got above 65F. On the other hand I also don't mind occasional 70's or fleeting 80's in summertime. I am ready, though, for warm weather (60-75F) starting in April and May. As for cold weather, believe it or not I'm actually ready for that right now, but if I got a summer that was as cool as I like, I'd like to hold off on any cold (<30F) until after Labor Day.

I know that pledge sounds as hollow to you as a heat-lover not wanting any hot weather until after March 1 would sound to me, but there is a distinct difference between cold/cold snaps for 12 months and cold/cold snaps for 9 months.

I guess you're not quite as ready as you let on .

To be honest, I like what I’d call “winter lite”. I don’t have an issue with a deep blue sky and a daily high of 50 F for several months a year. In fact, it does feel rather nice after a good old fashioned tropical East Coast summer to feel that crisp 50 F sunny day, and cool evening in late October/early November. After beeing on the beach and in the sun from May through September, the cooler days in November are nice - and I really don’t have to make a huge change in attire or give special attention to clothing or travel for that type of winter. I do agree (having spent time in tropical climates) that 12 months of sun and intense heat are not all they are cracked up to be. One tires of any extreme. A humid 105 F is no better than 10 F for me. Though sun trumps cloud at any temp.

On the other hand…I can say that what I despise with a passion is what many would call “real winter” or a severe winter: Daytime highs struggle to get near freezing, blustery sub 20 F nights, heavy and long lasting snow, LONG PERIOEDS of OVERCAST SKIES, poor driving conditions, risky conditions underfoot for pedestrians, the elderly, blustery, …etc. If it is “painful” to be outside, then the weather conditions are too harsh for me. Nothing is less inspiring than a daily high of 29 F, and old dirty snowpack, and laden gray sky. I did it for two long years in the northern suburbs of Chicago and would not (could not) ever do it again.

Fortunately my situation between the coastal low lands of Connecticut in the long warm season (April - November)…and frequent time spent between Myrtle Beach, SC and Key West, FL in the shorter cool season (Dec- March) is the perfect balance: When winter is colder than normal in the north, I spend more time southward, when it is warmer than normal in the north (like last year) I might spend less time down south. Winters in coastal CT are cool, but not often severely cold or snowy, and often quite sunny. Frequent trips down I-95 in the Dec - March time breaks up the already fleeting winter and is always enough to take out the deepest of winter chills.

In fact, truth be told, it can be alot of fun to leave the north on a bitter cold 18 F morning...and the next day wake up in south Florida and the morning low is 58 F -lol. It's like you went through a whole season - in one day.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 07-25-2012 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
To be honest, I like what I’d call “winter lite”. I don’t have an issue with a deep blue sky and a daily high of 50 F for several months a year. [...]

On the other hand…I can say that what I despise with a passion is what many would call “real winter” or a severe winter: Daytime highs struggle to get near freezing, blustery sub 20 F nights, heavy and long lasting snow, LONG PERIOEDS of OVERCAST SKIES, poor driving conditions, risky conditions underfoot for pedestrians, the elderly, blustery, …etc.
Winter-lite is closer to an extended autumn than what I'd call a winter, but it comes out the same. Real winter for you is what I'd call a standard-issue winter. In my version of real winter, let alone a severe winter, the highs most days wouldn't be anywhere near freezing *cue evil laugh* . Again, it comes out the same any way you slice and dice it.

Quote:
If it is “painful” to be outside, then the weather conditions are too harsh for me.
That's exactly the difference between the cold weather and warm weather fans here. I find your severe winter conditions to be pleasant, not painful, although the reality is complicated. I love a little "pain" (like stinging powder), but I'll pass on constant intensely painful conditions through the whole winter. We can all agree that painful and unpleasant weather, whatever that might mean to each of us, is something to be avoided.

Quote:
Fortunately my situation between the coastal low lands of Connecticut in the long warm season (April - November)…and frequent time spent between Myrtle Beach, SC and Key West, FL in the shorter cool season (Dec- March) is the perfect balance: When winter is colder than normal in the north, I spend more time southward, when it is warmer than normal in the north (like last year) I might spend less time down south. Winters in coastal CT are cool, but not often severely cold or snowy, and often quite sunny. Frequent trips down I-95 in the Dec - March time breaks up the already fleeting winter and is always enough to take out the deepest of winter chills.
It sounds like a good setup for you. I don't know how you arranged all that, but many people on this forum hope for that sort of balance.

Quote:
In fact, truth be told, it can be alot of fun to leave the north on a bitter cold 18 F morning...and the next day wake up in south Florida and the morning low is 58 F -lol. It's like you went through a whole season - in one day.
Bitter cold 18F morning? That strikes me as an oxymoron, since my body doesn't register the conditions as "bitter cold" until -15F or so. Of course, it is possible for even 12F with a 50 mph wind to have a wind chill of around that level, but I don't think that's what you were talking about.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:18 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Well, it's mostly close to seasonal, temperature-wise now and in the foreseeable forecast, unlike earlier on when there were many hot days.

So far just some light rain these few hours or so this afternoon but there's also going to be heavy rain with thunderstorms today tonight late in the evening, into the night continuing into tomorrow throughout the day. They say it might be 30-40 mm or more over this period.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
An interesting picture.. a car bursting into flames due to overheating

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather