Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yeah, but a couple pages back you mentioned how the media is hyping up the conditions for certain outdoor workers. Unless 'hype' doesn't have negative connotations to you.

I just watched a local NYC station's weather report and I wouldn't say they were really hyping the heat.
It was a news channel on TV; they kept mentioning it as if it was unheard of heat. It was partly the style, I was trying to say that a heatwave is more newsworthy than below average temps, especially if they're in the comfortable range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Well, they should be covering any big weather anomalies, regardless of whether you or anyone else thinks conditions are comfortable or not. Just being comfortable where it's usually uncomfortable or less comfortable is newsworthy in my view, especially if they're trying to cover weather and not just general news . Besides, the media were all over the warm winter, where by Nei's logic they shouldn't have covered it at all due to it being more comfortable than usual. I'm inclined to side with Cambium on this. The media people should be covering all significant weather events, especially those which deviate from the norm. That includes summer heat waves and summer cool spells, and a -15F departure should be covered just like a +15F departure should be covered.

Of course if it's a heat wave and it's having more of an impact on the local population it should be covered more, but that shouldn't minimize the significance of the actual weather event itself. The coverage of the actual weather event (as opposed to the impacts) should be the same whether it's on the hot or cold side of average.

I agree with Nei, though, that if they're acting like 95F is unheard-of heat then that's simply bad practice. 95F is reasonably common in (southern) New England; it's a temperature one would expect to see at some point during a given year, so it's not the unprecedented menace it may be portrayed as.

This doesn't tie in to my more general complaints about rampant media bias towards heat and sun (except when they actually get it: then they complain about it), but this whole issue is part of a broader context of bad weather coverage from American media outlets, and I have discussed this heat bias before. Refer to this thread if you want to read more about that topic. My own comments are at the end of page 4. This also ties in to another divergent topic, that of media hype in general. I am of the belief that the same impulse that drives reporters to cover 95F heat as if it were an unprecedented menace also ties into the practice of referring to any temperatures below around freezing as "bitter cold". The winter side of media hype in the case of February 2010 is covered excellently in this article, though the trends referred to in it seem to be a one-off. Neologisms such as snowmageddon, snowicane, and snowpocalypse seem mainly confined to the 2009-10 blizzards; 2010-11 was more in line with "classic" terminology.

As for the heat coming to the East, it looks like it's going to be rough. Batton down the hatches and activate the air conditioners - the days where you reaped the rewards of cool weather are at an end .

Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
It's actually 10 not 9 technically 10.5 below normal is the true middle. How are the low temps tomorrow? Is the average really 14 above? Maybe we should talk about locations. The only way for the average to be 14 above is for the low and high to be that. That's why I thought you were just talking about the daily high. I don't think the mean will be 14 above.

I agree with you in a way about hyping the heat and not the below normal in summer. However, I will say that the media overhypes cold in the winter just the same, and less so the above normal winter temps.

Having a high temp in the 20'sF in winter in our area in not unheard of (high std deviation of temps), but if we get a day where the temp does not go above the 20'sF it is all this "code blue" danger, danger, etc.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I agree with you in a way about hyping the heat and not the below normal in summer. However, I will say that the media overhypes cold in the winter just the same, and less so the above normal winter temps.

Having a high temp in the 20'sF in winter in our area in not unheard of (high std deviation of temps), but if we get a day where the temp does not go above the 20'sF it is all this "code blue" danger, danger, etc.
Down to Earth post. Love it. I agree with this and your right. In the winter they'll make it seem like an Ice age is coming with 20s in the forecast. LOL... But then again, do they do that for 2 days worth like they are with 90s?

I dont understand the hyping for "comfort" concept. Usually its for attention or for extremes. I personally hate the hype on BOTH sides... I just want to show and hear whats interesting and thats why I mentioned this heat from over a week ago... But to have a month finally break a warm trend is more interesting to me then 2 days of summer. Think about it... all those months and days above normal... we finally go below now all of a sudden..I hope from my posts you can see I call extremes on both ends.

Speaking of extremes:: Here are the record highs for June 20, 21, 22.

NYC - could come close. Normal is 81.
20th - 98 in 1923
21st - 97 in 1988
22nd - 98 in 1988

Washington D.C - Might break the record - Normal is 86
20th - 97 in 1964
21st - 98 in 1988
22nd - 99 in 1988

Boston, MA - Maybe break on the 21st. Normal is 78
20th - 98 1953
21st - 95 1949
22nd - 97 1983

Philly, PA - Close. Normal is 84
20th - 96
21st - 97
22nd - 100

Albany, NY - Should not break. Normal is 80.
20th - 97 1953
21st - 97 1938
22nd - 95 1954

Old 06-19-2012, 12:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Forecast of 100°F for Boston tomorrow. No ocean breeze killing off the heat this time!

Eastern LI (south fork) is only forecasted to go up to the high 80s.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Batton down the hatches and activate the air conditioners - the days where you reaped the rewards of cool weather are at an end .
No air conditioners to activate; I'll let you know how many indoor temperature fares if anyone's curious. I'm on the ground floor now; I'm going to try to close shades and windows during the day when I'm not there and then open it up and activate the fans at night.

Wait… I haven't even taken out fans yet in my new place. There's been no need yet.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
While I don't think the upcoming heatwave is being overhyped, I do agree with PM and Cambium that there's a general warm bias in the media.

Anyway, I took another hike today and though it was a little humid, it was overcast with a reliable breeze. Not too bad.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

Anyway, I took another hike today and though it was a little humid, it was overcast with a reliable breeze. Not too bad.
Where do you go hiking in N Jersey?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Forecast of 100°F for Boston tomorrow. No ocean breeze killing off the heat this time!

Eastern LI (south fork) is only forecasted to go up to the high 80s.
Funny you said that, Looking at my weather station, winds are from the EastSouthEast and temps are increasing now. Its coming, RUN! LOL. Windows are closed A/C is on. Tomorrow shades stay closed all day. I know someone who keeps all the windows and doors open during the day, then turns the a/c on in the evening. Its Wasting energy because its working harder to cool the house down.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Where do you go hiking in N Jersey?
Mostly the Appalachian Trail and the Ramapo Reservation. There's a lot of other good places that I haven't been to though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather