Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
To be honest, I find that snowy forest more beautiful than "not too bad", actually I find it gorgeous; although you know how little I appreciate winter, this is as good as it can get to me. I would truly enjoy being in that kind of landscape for a few days, provided they are all as sunny, and that it doesn't get dark early (I HATE that), not much longer than that though.

On the other the bare tree makes me want to throw up; this is all I hate about winter: grey colors, overcast skies, darkness, early nights, and those creepy, disgusting bare trees which inspire nothing to me but images of death and despair.

Obviously my winner among all 3 pictures is the tropical beach which depicts a climate I would be more than happy to spend 365 days a year in

On a side note, you might be able to answer this, but I am trying hard to open my mind to my archenemy, winter, and I was wondering, what places feature winters which are most often like on the snowy picture I posted? i.e. A lot of snow that falls briefly (not dozens of days of light snow falling), ABUNDANT SUNSHINE (that's essential, overcast winter days are my nightmare), not too cold (not much below -5°C); all of this being at a relatively low latitude (so there is enough daylight, preferably with post-6PM sunsets).

If all those conditions were gathered, I might be able to tolerate/'appreciate' winter much more than the crappy, disgusting overcast variety of Europe.

Given how little interest I have for cold climates, you are certainly more qualified than me to answer this any idea?

You touch on many of many issues I’ve had with the cold season over the years. Chicago/Upper Midwest was really bad for me in the regard, the “death look” of everything that lasted too long. The snow is beautiful - when it first falls. A sunny day with snow on the ground was not so bad, but it gets old in a few weeks. I was glad to get back to the NYC/Middle Atlantic States in that regard – there seems to be more evergreen plants on the Atlantic Coast, and the environment seems to have much less of the hard winter look than the Midwest USA. I too find bare trees quite creepy and unnerving; they just seem to warn of death and despair ahead

Of the three pics you posted, number 2 (the tropical beach) was the clear winner for me as well.

As far as winter season that is acceptable to a warm weather fan...brevierty of the season is the way to go I’ve found. A snowy day in the -5 C/upper 20’s F range is not all that bad if followed by a sunny 48 F day a few days later. Brief and fleeting bouts of snowy weather is far easier to handle than a sustained winter with no let up for a warm weather fan (I found this out in winters in Chicago vs East Coast). Winters around here (NYC/Northeast NJ/Southern Connecticut) is often just like this: Fleeting cold, snow, snowcover, and frequent sunny winter days. The lower latitude (south of 42 North) ensures that the solar angle is decent enough to cast somewhat of a warm feeling all year. Although I still need to get to points south at this season (as I likely have less of a tolerance of winter than you), it is still not really too hard to take.

In any event, since this is a summer thread...here is my summer pic of the day:

Daytona Beach in summer:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
People are different. Most people either love cloudiness or are not depressed by it (at least not significantly). There are some that have winter S.A.D. and that do depend on sunlight for their mood, and lack of sunlight is a very real problem for them. I don't begrudge them for how their bodies and minds are built; all I demand is that they respect others' preferences and refrain from pretending that all humans are just like them and are solar-charged. That's not the case.

As for Dunno's post, I think it's a bit condescending. I'd bet the vast majority of people here have a productive life and they do not let the weather get in the way of that. Well, as much as possible anyway. If you're like me and start to get heat stroke when it's 90F outside that does put a damper on your activities (but I do the best I can). You see much more complaining and discussion about weather here than in daily life because this is a weather forum. Aren't we supposed to discuss weather here? How it gratifies, frustrates, and fascinates us? I'm surprised at the sheer number of people here that don't seem to be aware of this fact.

I must also say that there is a distinction between complaining and whining. Complaining, noting facts and how you feel about them, and then not letting it get in your way is the mark of a person with a strong mind and a strong body. Incessantly complaining without adding anything new, making excuses for letting weather get in your way, and being paralyzed by fear is the mark of the wimp.

I believe all three of us are the former.
I feel mostly as you do it seems. I was fortunate to move to a place in the lower 48 where winters are long and summers and heat are short as compared to the rest of the country. But that said, I enjoy the winters, the less sunlight makes my mood happier. I sweat very easily at temps above 80F and when we have long periods of sunny days I get irritable, crabby, and overall just hate it. I have to put up with folks at my work saying what a great day it is outside when it is 80 and sunny and how much they love it, whereas I am miserable. I actually saw a doctor about the reverse SAD and take medicine only during the warm season to help with depression. On sunny and warm days, I feel like the sun is smothering me. On cloudy warm days I am ok....it just seems something with the long daylight hours bothers my mood or whatever. In the winter when everyone else is complaining, I am loving the endless cloudy days and cold and I have very happy.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
First week of July 2012 over. Bit crap really, here's a brief summary of what Buxton got from it

Avg High: 16.9°C / 62.4°F
Avg Low: 11.8°C / 53.2°F

Highest Max: 20.2°C / 68.4°F
Lowest Min: 7.8°C / 46°F

Precipitation: 64mm (2.5")

Sunshine: 14.7 hours (2.1 per day)

Very much continuing from where June left off. The next week's forecast shows average highs of about 14-15°C (mid-50's Fahrenheit) with 100% cloud cover and more rain. This will be one of the coldest July's on record not to mention wettest and dullest.

The Daily Rating Average for the first week stands at 1.9 out of 10.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 07-07-2012 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Were these fools born yesterday? No they weren't or they wouldn't still think it was 2011

june 2011 lookback - wettest on record; cool and dull too united kingdom - lookback

DUUUUUUHHHHHH:rolley es:

Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
For the first 7 days of July here in C:

16/9
16/12
21/13
22/15
23/16
16/14
22/11

Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Pick your side!

or

though I agree this does not look too bad:
I think I'll stick with winters here.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
First week of July 2012 over. Bit crap really, here's a brief summary of what Buxton got from it

Avg High: 16.9°C / 62.4°F
Avg Low: 11.8°C / 53.2°F

Highest Max: 20.2°C / 68.4°F
Lowest Min: 7.8°C / 46°F

Precipitation: 64mm (2.5")

Sunshine: 14.7 hours (2.1 per day)

Very much continuing from where June left off. The next week's forecast shows average highs of about 14-15°C (mid-50's Fahrenheit) with 100% cloud cover and more rain. This will be one of the coldest July's on record not to mention wettest and dullest.
I would not be too sure.

From what I have seen of past summers, often when Western Europe starts with a rainy/cool late spring and early summer...by late July and into August the weather can become quite warm. Summer 1980 was a record breaker in Western Europe in terms of summer heat as I remember, yet spring/early summer 1980 was cool and overcast when the jet started far south of the UK (then took a hard northward turn in mid July). The weather at the higher latitudes (above 40 N) can change fast in summer when the jet is driven far north.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Cooler nights ahead:

• Sunday Patchy fog before 7am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 85. Northwest wind 5 to 13 mph.
  • Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 52. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
  • Monday Sunny, with a high near 84. Calm wind becoming northwest 5 to 8 mph in the morning.
  • Monday Night Patchy fog after 4am. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 51. Calm wind.
  • Tuesday Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 84.
  • Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.
  • Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 83.
  • Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 59.
  • Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 82.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 61.
  • Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 84.
  • Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64.
  • Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 86.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:57 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I would not be too sure.

From what I have seen of past summers, often when Western Europe starts with a rainy/cool late spring and early summer...by late July and into August the weather can become quite warm. Summer 1980 was a record breaker in Western Europe in terms of summer heat as I remember, yet spring/early summer 1980 was cool and overcast when the jet started far south of the UK (then took a hard northward turn in mid July). The weather at the higher latitudes (above 40 N) can change fast in summer when the jet is driven far north.
Do you mean 1990? 1990 saw the all-time heat record broken in this country, but 1980 seems pretty poor from the local stats I've seen. The next few weeks seem cool and wet even by our standards but I still hold out hope the northern blocking will break down towards the end of summer, simply because this weather pattern has been going three months now (bar about a week of warm, sunny weather which came and went pretty suddenly), and I just feel it can't keep on and on forever. We got record high temperatures in late-September/early-October last year (just under 30C) so we still have three months to tap into the heat eastern Europe have been having.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:33 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Another nice day today, it reached 19.4c despite a forecast high of only 15c, and there's been long sunny spells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather