Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
A 5 9.09%
B 19 34.55%
C 26 47.27%
D 4 7.27%
F 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 02:50 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times

Advertisements

probably the relatively dry winters ?

Never been to Seattle but looks more like Paris / London than like Toulouse... although Toulouse definitely has an oceanic influence, short sleeve days are totally possible for a large part of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:21 PM

753 posts, read 838,093 times
I'd give it a B+. Temperatures and sunshine are quite decent and I love that it avoids the wet winter/dry summer precipitation pattern.

Downsides - July and August average highs are just a bit on the warm side for me and they seem like they can get overly hot during heatwaves, the winters are a bit too cloudy, and I would prefer that precipitation peak to happen one or two months later.

But overall a very decent climate, definitely one of my favorites in France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiReader View Post
The climate in Toulouse is better than all of North America except California. So it's hard to understand the criticism from most North American forumers here, especially the 99% who have never lived in Toulouse.

The climate in Toulouse is closest to the one in Sacramento. Only coastal California gets a better climate than Toulouse.
Not everybody wants California-like weather. Lots of people on this forum are fans of continental climates, subarctic, tropical, etc., and won't be satisfied by a climate like Toulouse.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:45 PM

181 posts, read 231,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Never been to Seattle but looks more like Paris / London than like Toulouse...
Yeah, Seattle/Portland has a weather similar to London/Paris, whereas in Toulouse it's more like inland northern California, or the southernmost part of Oregon but without the very wet winters.

In terms of latitude, Portland, OR is at the same latitude as Montréal, whereas Toulouse is at the same latitude as Toronto. In terms of sun brightness in winter, it makes a difference, because it's roughly half way between the North Pole and the Equator, so a few hundred miles north or south makes a big difference at these latitudes.

As for Washington DC, which someone mentioned, frankly no sane person would prefer the climate of Washington DC over Toulouse, what with the sweltering hot and humid summers, and the pretty cold winters. Washington DC is just unbearable in summer. In Toulouse the heat is much more dry, and not as intense. Yet summer remains well into October, and increasingly November too with global warming. Last year for example the average afternoon (maximum) temperature in Toulouse in November was 16.9C (62.4F), which is frankly pretty good for a city which spares you the horribly hot summers of DC. They even had 20.3C (68.5F) on Nov 28, 18.6C (65.5F) on Nov 29, and 16.9C (62.4F) on Nov 30, with a minimum nighttime temperature of 15.9C (60.6F) on Nov 29.

And while the US East Coast was freezing last March (on March 6, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport had a minimum temperature of -9.4C/15.1F and a maximum temperature of -2.8C/27.0F), Toulouse was already enjoying balmy temperatures (15.5C/59.9F recorded on March 6, 19.5C/67.1F recorded on March 7).

Old 06-23-2015, 08:24 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiReader View Post

As for Washington DC, which someone mentioned, frankly no sane person would prefer the climate of Washington DC over Toulouse, what with the sweltering hot and humid summers, and the pretty cold winters. Washington DC is just unbearable in summer. In Toulouse the heat is much more dry, and not as intense. Yet summer remains well into October, and increasingly November too with global warming. Last year for example the average afternoon (maximum) temperature in Toulouse in November was 16.9C (62.4F), which is frankly pretty good for a city which spares you the horribly hot summers of DC. They even had 20.3C (68.5F) on Nov 28, 18.6C (65.5F) on Nov 29, and 16.9C (62.4F) on Nov 30, with a minimum nighttime temperature of 15.9C (60.6F) on Nov 29.

And while the US East Coast was freezing last March (on March 6, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport had a minimum temperature of -9.4C/15.1F and a maximum temperature of -2.8C/27.0F), Toulouse was already enjoying balmy temperatures (15.5C/59.9F recorded on March 6, 19.5C/67.1F recorded on March 7).

You Euro's really do buy into the whole global warming thing. Well who wouldn't with the last 30 years in Europe and your ever increasing temps. Hasn't been the same level of increase over here.

I do prefer the winter of Toulouse than DC, but DC has a warmer annual mean and is warmer in 8 months of the year.

Also, as has been said on here over and over, please don't parse out one moment in time as representative of anything. Toulouse avg March temp is 49.5F vs 46.8F in DC. Not nearly as great as led to believe by you picking out a date with a temp anomaly of -20F lol.

Oh look at Feb 2012. Toulouse high/low on Feb 9th -1.6C/-12.5 (29/9.5F) while DC had a high/low of 22.2C/8.9C on February 1st 2012.

Yes Toulouse is warmer in winter, but learn not to pick a moment of weather extremes in each locale to make some point. You sound like a Euro version of Wavehunter the way you describe Toulouse as all bright in the winter compared to Portland lol. If that is the case, then DC winter brightness must look like the tropics compared to Toulouse.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:25 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
I'd give it a B+. Temperatures and sunshine are quite decent and I love that it avoids the wet winter/dry summer precipitation pattern.

Downsides - July and August average highs are just a bit on the warm side for me and they seem like they can get overly hot during heatwaves, the winters are a bit too cloudy, and I would prefer that precipitation peak to happen one or two months later.

But overall a very decent climate, definitely one of my favorites in France.

Not everybody wants California-like weather. Lots of people on this forum are fans of continental climates, subarctic, tropical, etc., and won't be satisfied by a climate like Toulouse.
Thank you for saying this. I don't understand why people assume everyone prefers boring, mild weather. Especially on a weather forum.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:43 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,577 times
C-. Winters are a bit warmer than mine and I guess less snow than us. Sunshine is good. Summers look really nice.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:12 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
I can easily understand how Toulouse can be considered very nice, in fact in France it is considered to be one of the nicest cities climate wise because it has mild winters and warm summers but is also less dry and more green / lush than typical mediterranean French areas. It's like a cross between oceanic climates in the north and mediterranean French climates.

I think Toulouse is better than many areas of Europe climate-wise.

I know I like DC's climate though, because it gets more snow, and the summers are warmer, but yeah the humidity is not for the faint of the heart.

Funnily enough, Toulouse has a reputation for having muggy summers in France... especially from people who live in the mediterranean area. Different perspectives !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather