U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which major cities have overall great 4-season climate that you prefer?
Vancouver, BC/Seattle, WA 1 2.00%
New York, NY 6 12.00%
Boston, MA 2 4.00%
Washington D.C 0 0%
Toronto, ON 0 0%
Montreal, QC 9 18.00%
Chicago, IL 7 14.00%
Salt Lake City, UT 1 2.00%
Atlanta, GA 2 4.00%
Philadelphia, PA 1 2.00%
Albuquerque, NM 9 18.00%
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 2 4.00%
St. Louis, MO 0 0%
Denver, CO 4 8.00%
Portland, OR 3 6.00%
Niagara Falls, ON/NY 1 2.00%
Detroit, MI/Windsor, ON 0 0%
Halifax, NS 1 2.00%
Oklahoma City, OK 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:49 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,731,321 times
I went for Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 AM

640 posts, read 364,322 times
Montreal

I lived in Montreal for 16 years and it definitely has all four seasons covered
Unlike Toronto, Montreal has a consistant snowpack for about 4 months,
early /mid december to early/mid march, some years even longer.
Warm humid summers, some days even feeling tropical like.
Fantastic falls with fall colour peaking in october.
Spring is very nice too, especially after a long snowy winter

Montreal area does offer very good skiing, both downhill and cross-country.
Laurentians has many ski areas, including Mont Tremblant Resort.
Also eastern townships:my faves, Mont Sutton, Mont Orford, and Owl's Head.
NY Adirondacks and Vermont's Green Mountains are within 2hr drive too.
Whiteface Mtn in NY and Jay Peak in Vermont are favourites of Montrealers

Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 AM

5,648 posts, read 2,684,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
You make a good point there. If I had to guess what season that was I'd say summer, not winter, and 2011 was a cold winter there.

Contrast that with a picture of Macon from 18 February 2009:

Notice that although it is marginal, and there are some trees that haven't gone into dormancy, bareness prevails.

Chicago is really on the warm edge when it comes to true four-season climates, though you will find more southerly places away from the warming lake influence that still meet Koeppen Dfa criteria. Chicago's daily mean in January is 25.3F and warms up above the 26.6F snowpack isotherm in December and February. However, it does meet it and there is persistent snow cover in an average winter. This is a typical January scene in Chicago (from Jan 2004):

A solid four-season climate with a stronger winter would feature more snow and a solid snowpack that doesn't melt for the duration or even during a warm winter. Montreal is a good example of this in a major city. This is a rather typical winter scene in Montreal. You'll rarely see this in Chicago:

Montreal-type snowpacks aren't required by any means to have a four-season climate, or even a true four-season climate. However, I'd say big snowpacks are more prototypical especially when combined with distinct summers as in the Dfb climates. Dfa climates like Chicago and Minneapolis often feature even-tempered seasons which are equivalent in strength and length. Cfa climates where trees go bare in winter provide a weak, summer-dominated example, and aren't a true four season climate, but qualify as part of the broader category. That's my view.
Great photos! I think you are right, Montreal. They have a real summer with highs/lows of 80F/64 (McGill), and a snowy, cold winter. I've always wanted to visit Montreal in the depths of winter and experience a bustling, snowy cold city. I've visited Toronto before in the month of February, and though there was snow around, it wasn't covering everything like in your photo.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 AM

26,737 posts, read 13,089,374 times
If snow and freezing temperatures are a requirement for 4 seasons, I'd pick Boston. Seasons are roughly of even length, though a bit less intense than further inland and more pleasant. More snow than places like Chicago, too.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,392 times
Montreal is not that snowy and very cold anymore as it used to be (Global warming). This winter Montreal only got a third of the total annual snowfall they "normally" get and temperatures have been well above normal.
Montreal has warm to hot and often humid summers, which I like.

That pictures of snowy streets in Montreal is rare to be honest. It could happened like that in every single city after major snowstorm, but gets cleared out or melt after few days.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 AM

817 posts, read 385,772 times
mmm, i can't choose between Philadelphia and Salt Lake City.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM

253 posts, read 246,020 times
Good to see Albuquerque getting some votes.

I like Albuquerque's version of 4 seasons...

Tons of sunshine, over 3000 hrs
Plenty of summer thunderstorms, ABQ gets most of it's rainfall in summer
Crisp cold winter mornings, mild sunny winter afternoons
Wonderful springs and falls, the big ABQ International balloon fiesta is in october
Even decent skiing, east slopes of Sandia Crest, at over 10,000ft
Ski and play golf on the same day!
Altitudes within city limits range from 4,900ft to 6,200ft,
so you can choose your micro climate.
Lower elevations= higher average highs, very little snow
Higher elevations= cooler average highs, more snow
Average annual snowfall ranges from about 8" downtown
to over 30" in some foothill locations east of Tramway Blvd

Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM

4,441 posts, read 1,779,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
If by best you mean "all seasons are distinct and well represented" I'd say "pick any Koppen Dfa-type climate" and nominate Chicago as the largest city with archetypal mid-latitude seasons ( one month solidly below freezing, one month spent almost in the 20sC, rainfall decent in all seasons and snowfall plentiful come winter ).
Agreed (apart from the "plentiful snow" comment), that's why I picked Chicago. Second choice was Detroit, a bit more moderated and a tad snowier.
That pic PM posted sure makes Montreal appealing, but its winter is on the cold side. The summers, however, would be warm enough, taking the humidity into account.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:09 PM

5,048 posts, read 2,601,363 times
It looks like Montreal and Chicago are in the lead. Interesting. It appears Chicago is a leader of the even-tempered or warm version four-season climate, and Montreal is a leader in the category of the colder version of the four-season climate.

Chicago's Koeppen type is Dfa (2F shy of Cfa) and Montreal's is Dfb (2F shy of Dfa), or using a different site Montreal is Dfa that is closely bordering on Dfb. When it comes to the Dfa type Chicago is near the border with the winter end and Montreal is near the border on the summer end.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM

26,737 posts, read 13,089,374 times
I picked Chicago, but now would choose Boston. It's a bit unclear what the OP meant by "best". Chicago has more distinct seasons than Boston, but I like Boston's version of 4 seasons better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather