Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many hours of annual sunshine do you prefer?
< 1,000 hours or less 5 5.49%
1,000 - 1,399 hours 5 5.49%
1,400 - 1699 hours 8 8.79%
1,700 - 1,999 hours 9 9.89%
2,000 - 2,299 hours 10 10.99%
2,300 - 2,599 hours 13 14.29%
2,600 - 2,899 hours 16 17.58%
2,900 - 3,199 hours 14 15.38%
3,200 - 3,499 hours 6 6.59%
>3,500 hours or more 5 5.49%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM

161 posts, read 277,833 times

Advertisements

I grew up in SE VA and we got 2600-2800 a year and that was great, the cloudy vs clear days seemed to be distrubited evenly over the year. Now I live in NW lower Michigan and get on average 2200-2400 and I think it's closer to 2200 and I can tell a difference. The days with sun are concentrated in the summer and and is mostly cloudy all winter. Harsh for me.

I long to move further west get out of the area affected by the great lakes. I'll take sunny icy winter days over cloudy warmer winter days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:58 PM

161 posts, read 277,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
2,600 to 2,899 for me.

I like a mix of sun and clouds, long stretches of sunshine or cloudiness become monotonous very quickly for me.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:11 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,711,006 times
I chose the 2,300 - 2,599 category. I like it sunny in spring, summer and early autumn, with mostly convective or frontal rain-producing clouds. I prefer late autumn and winter to be gloomy, apart from the crisp cold and white days. During these 4-5 months I don't mind weeks on end of uniform leaden skies. It's one of the rare things I like that Paris's climate provides in adequate quantity.

Such as this one. Lovely isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Another thing i love in the sky is when the day was sunny and in the afternoon some clear clouds start to form and they form some very clear-shaped and dense clouds with a kinf of violet colour, and the sky behind turns pink. I uploaded some pics i took from my balcony the other day with that same sky...its breathtaking. Some clouds in the sky always make the sky more interesting, imo.
I like them as well. Took a photo from my balcony (but in the morning):

Old 06-15-2012, 02:17 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,501,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I chose the 2,300 - 2,599 category. I like it sunny in spring, summer and early autumn, with mostly convective or frontal rain-producing clouds. I prefer late autumn and winter to be gloomy, apart from the crisp cold and white days. During these 4-5 months I don't mind weeks on end of uniform leaden skies. It's one of the rare things I like that Paris's climate provides in adequate quantity.

Yeah!! Thats the one, Rozenn!! Great pic

We get a lot of those here, and i think if this place was super sunny (as in above 3000 sunshine hours) i dont know if it could get as many.

I also like some gloomy days as in your first pic, but i also dont like the sun to be overly happening in summer and not in winter. With a tool Patricius Maximums presented in other thread, i measure the possible sunshine for May (autumn month) and January (the hottest sunnier month) and the possible of sun was like 54% in May and 62% in January. So the difference wasnt that big and i LOVED IT! Cause that means sun is very possible in cold days and cloud is very possible in hot days. So, the 2400-2600 range is probably the best for me.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:08 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times
Quote:
Yeah!! Thats the one, Rozenn!! Great pic
Epic sunsets and cloudscapes are great. They'd be the bread and butter of my ideal climate (among other things).

Old 06-15-2012, 03:13 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I would prefer zero sunshine hours, however, Im sure there are minimums for most plants, so, whatever those minimums are, thats fine.
I don't believe there is any minimum. A typical overcast day in North America or Europe provides plenty enough solar energy for plant growth.

Quote:
Another thing i love in the sky is when the day was sunny and in the afternoon some clear clouds start to form and they form some very clear-shaped and dense clouds with a kinf of violet colour, and the sky behind turns pink. I uploaded some pics i took from my balcony the other day with that same sky...its breathtaking. Some clouds in the sky always make the sky more interesting, imo.
That scenario is nice as well. Some clouds or dominant clouds make for a more interesting sky, as long as it isn't flat-gray or flat-blue (though I like flat gray better). Some blue-dome days are nice, especially on cold winter days, but I strongly prefer them to be exceptions rather than the rule.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,190,780 times
St. Pete Florida gets almost 3000 hours a year and that's twice as much as I like. Maybe if I lived somewhere that wasn't summer 9 months of the year I wouldn't be so burnt out on sunshine.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,577,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

I don't like your top scene at all! Weeks or months of that would drive me spare. The light effects in the second one are nice. These are often seen in eastern regions of NZ from lenticular "arch" formations in dry foehn airflow scenarios. However having experienced days like that with sunny periods as well, I'll take the sunshine thanks. For me the return of the sun when the "arch" moves away somewhat strongly mitigates a feeling of mild discomfort (possibly due to an excess of positive ions??!) that many feel in such conditions.

I can recall spending a weekend in a South Island location one February, with the high cloud dominating and no sunshine - temperatures around the 25C mark with low humidity. It didn't feel good. The following day I was back in Central Otago under sunny skies and low humidities with temperatures reaching 35-36C levels - felt great. A day later Christchurch had its record 42C reading, also under sunny skies prior to a cool change.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:56 PM

116 posts, read 266,910 times
These forums are an eye-opener for me. I didn't realise there were that many people that actually like cloudy, dark weather. After all, mankind didn't evolve in a cloudy climate, so one would think that a yearning for sunshine would come naturally to most people. Personally, I literally feel sick if I have to go months at a time with barely a ray of sunshine...as is the case in much of northwestern Europe. Anything above 2000 hours per annum is something I can live with, though.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:06 PM

2,944 posts, read 2,902,373 times
2800-3000 seems to be ideal for me. Above 3200 or below 2500, both are boring and depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather