U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich is better in your experience?
Low humidity 66 74.16%
High humidity 23 25.84%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:43 PM

5,900 posts, read 8,678,235 times

Advertisements

Was just wondering that i read a lot of times in this forum the sentence "good climate, too bad it is too dry" and also the sentence "too bad its too humid". Also realize that i tend to idealize non-humid climates, cause, aside for briefly passing by in a trip i have NO IDEA, how a low humidity place feels like and what up and downs it haves.
I lived since i was born and until I was 20 in a humid-oceanic climate (Mar del Plata) and the lasr 9 years in a humid-subtropical (Buenos Aires), so i always lived in a humid enviroment. I know how uncomfortable humidity can be. I know how is to go walking in a winter day with sweater and a coat and then, after walking 5 blocks, you have to take off your sweater or coat cause you are already feeling uncofortably warm. I know how a hot february day with high humidity feels like. I know how my hair gets IMPOSSIBLE mostly in the winter when humidity rises above 80% and gets to 100%. I know that thes no hair-striaghtner that can fix a 100% humidity day. I know how it is to go walking and the air is so thick that its not really raining, but its also raining, you know what i mean? the rain is condensed in the air (wednesday was a day like this). Anyways, i know all about humid climates and how they suck. Thats why i tend to idealize low-humidity climates.

And by low humidity i probably mean less than 50% average year . My question is for people who have experienced this type of climates (i havent): what are the disadvantages of a low humidity climate??? Cause i tend to feel the summer doesnt feel as bad, the hair actuall behaves better. I remember i did spend a couple of days in Cafayate, Salta, a 0% humidity day, and 30 celsius there felt like 23 in Buenos Aires.

Are non-humid climates so much better than humid climates? Or are they as bad for different reasons? Whats your experience?

Last edited by SophieLL; 06-15-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 03:52 PM

253 posts, read 618,440 times
I don't like high humidity.

Any temperature feels better with low humidity.

I prefer California summers to southeast summers,
dry air feels great, and it cools down quickly at night

High humidity = discomfort

Old 06-15-2012, 04:02 PM

5,593 posts, read 6,568,446 times
Low humidity is vastly superior to high humidity, at least for me. My optimum relative humidity is 20% or so (winter storms can go higher ) and I'd be happy if the dew point never rose above 50F. Although I've never lived in a perpetual low-humidity climate, I have experienced moderate and low humidity on multiple occasions so I have a pretty good idea. I've never experienced relative humidities much lower than 20%, and that excludes ultra-low humidity desert climates but from what I've seen, comparing my reaction to humidities I have experienced with others, I wouldn't encounter any problem with very low humidities. All of the problems some people report (cracked skin, nosebleeds, etc.) at around 20% humidity I did not experience in the least. In fact on those occasions I've been in R.H. near 20% I've never felt better in my life, humidity-wise that is.

From the stories I've heard the deleterious effects reported from low humidity occur almost immediately upon exposure. If you were fine with no humidity during a day trip, let's say, chances are good that long-term exposure will be no different.

As for myself high humidity is horrible to me, but adverse effects only ever appear at dew points above 50F. Dew points above 60F are always muggy and quite uncomfortable to me, and 70F or more humid is very oppressive. I also encounter breathing problems in high humidity that I never encountered with any other humidity condition. At dew points of 78F or higher I simply can't breathe and there is an elephant-on-chest sensation. I don't begrudge those who find high humidity to be optimal for them, and I can only speak for myself, who is built for low humidity environments .

Old 06-15-2012, 04:52 PM

2,702 posts, read 4,965,863 times
I am the opposite type; I find RH above 60% to be much more comfortable. Dew points between 20°C and 24°C are ideal to me and I won't feel oppressed until a dew point reaches 27°C. Conversely low RH makes my eyes dry and my throat hurt.

That applies to both hot and cold weather; in both cases I'll prefer high humidity by a landslide, even when it's 8°C. I hate cold rain but I'd feel much more comfortable after a shower at 8°C than if it's a bone dry April morning in Beijing.

Oddly enough a vast majority of people I know prefer low humidity, though recently one of my friends (from Nice) was telling me about his trip in SE Asia and said he felt less hot in Singapore than during a dry 23°C day under the sun in Nice

Anyone else prefers high humidity? I seem to be the only one to have voted in its favor!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:53 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,849,666 times
Low thank you!!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,483,157 times
I don't really care what the humidity is until the temperature starts nearing 65 or so. After that, the lower the better. I actually like that winters here are more humid than in my hometown. It pretty much eliminates cracked knuckles and lips (at least for me).

Old 06-15-2012, 07:47 PM

22,243 posts, read 24,420,413 times
Not really bothered to be honest.. but when it's hot I prefer low humidity.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,936,249 times
Low humidity when it's in the 20s C or 70s F and above.

For temperatures lower than that, I don't really care too much (unless along with high humidity, it's raining/freezing rain and cool/cold, which in that case I'd prefer low humidity as well).

Old 06-15-2012, 08:14 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,450,164 times
I prefer wetter climates generally, though if I absolutely have to be in temps over 75 I'd prefer humidity under 60% or so. In colder climates low humidity really bothers me. When we're in Fairbanks in the winter the dry skin and nosebleeds I get bother me a lot more than the 30-40F below temps do.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 PM

5,900 posts, read 8,678,235 times
So is it unanimous then?
I thought a lot of people was gonna come and tell me how humid climates are better for whatever reason. I wanted to know what that reason was. Maybe to have a reason to value the climate i live in. Cause in reality, i also hate humidity, like most of the people in this forum!!!!

So im gonna vote low humidity! low humidity FTW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather