Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Alice Springs vs. Monterrey
Alice Springs 10 50.00%
Monterrey 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:20 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,591,183 times

Advertisements

Which of these subtropical climates do you choose?

Alice Springs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Monterrey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a tough choice for me... but I'll have to go with Alice Springs despite the colder winters. It has higher sunshine and is drier which I like.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,943,907 times
I prefer Monterrey's lows.

Monterrey it is.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,311,835 times
Although Monterrey is a bit warmer in winter than Alice Springs, the main reason I would choose Monterrey is Alice Springs seems like a backwater in comparsion: Alice Springs has just 27,000 people...while Monterrey had over 1 million. Monterrey serves as a commercial center in the north part of Mexico, and is the base of many significant international corporations. It is Mexico's second richest city, with an economy that had a 2008 GDP of USD $102 billion according to the info above. Alice Springs is a tiny back water in the middle of nowhere.

Climate is important - but in this case it is not the only reason I would pick Monterrey.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,941,894 times
Hard to choose - these are both such great climates. I suppose Alice Springs, since it is drier.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 PM

473 posts, read 663,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Although Monterrey is a bit warmer in winter than Alice Springs, the main reason I would choose Monterrey is Alice Springs seems like a backwater in comparsion: Alice Springs has just 27,000 people...while Monterrey had over 1 million. Monterrey serves as a commercial center in the north part of Mexico, and is the base of many significant international corporations. It is Mexico's second richest city, with an economy that had a 2008 GDP of USD $102 billion according to the info above. Alice Springs is a tiny back water in the middle of nowhere.

Climate is important - but in this case it is not the only reason I would pick Monterrey.
This is a climate battle.

Anyway, I choose Monterrey, because the rainfall is much higher, even though it is still too low for my preferences. However, because Wavehunter voted for Monterrey for non-climatic reasons, I will not put my vote in.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:

This is just strictly a climate comparison. Even if everything else is taken into consideration, I'd still choose Alice Springs over Monterrey for a variety of other reasons. I've actually been to both places and so I feel I could make an informed decision in this situation.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:11 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,943,907 times
Quote:

This is a climate comparison, but I guess you juuuuusst can't resist any opportunity to pick at Australia and write up an off-topic essay about how inferior it is relative to the USA, or in this case, Mexico

Old 06-17-2012, 01:25 AM

6,909 posts, read 7,630,010 times
Monterrey, much warmer lows. Good amount of rain. Why deneb, that is against your climate likes to vote a colder climate; 600 something mm is not that much rain.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:54 AM

914 posts, read 2,094,793 times
Quote:

Did you forget that Monterrey is also the crime hub of Mexico and one of the most dangerous city in the Americas overran by drug cartels? If I have to choose either cities based on factors independent of climate, then it will have to be Alice Springs, which has a better quality of life. I wouldn't choose Monterrey for any reasons except for the thrill factors that involved in dodging bullets from the drug cartels militants when walking down the street doing my daily business.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Monterrey, much warmer lows. Good amount of rain. Why deneb, that is against your climate likes to vote a colder climate; 600 something mm is not that much rain.
It was a close battle but it was the sunshine totals that put Alice over the top for me. Monterrey's sunshine by another source is 2,072 hours which is a lot less than Alice's 3,504 hours. I also remember Alice having much clearer skies from memory than Monterrey.

Monterrey Climate Information - ClimateTemp.info, Making Sense of Average Monthly Temperature & Weather Data with Detailed Climate Graphs That Portray Average Rainfall & Sunshine Hours

Last edited by deneb78; 06-17-2012 at 02:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather